Optimus-Pin A Tf P2K Build

ViriiGuy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of those almost 600 tables are duplicates in futurepinball. I think I have almost 400 VP tables. I am still working on cleaning up the XML and tables. But I can probably send you the XML. Shoot me a pm with your email.

As for the fire, yes. It was an over voltage from my USB bus on the motherboard. It shorted out the LEDWiz and several devices that were connected to it. Fairly expensive fire. :( But, it is almost all finished now!

• Administrators

500 tables? I have roughly 100, but I have no FP. Im picky with the VP tables that go on my cabinet. For instance every table must use layback and high quality / High resolution graphics. If it doesn't have either of these then its not on my cab.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, it is time to flatten the Hard Drive and do it all fresh again. Over the last year of monkeying around with this software and that software, I have quite the mess on my drive. Add on top of that I ran out of space and several files got corrupted in the process... I decided it is time to back it up, format it and go at it fresh and new.

I will be running Windows 7 64 bit, as I am now. I may go for a stripped down OS, but honestly I don't NEED to. My cabinet is plenty quick and does not seem to suffer any slowdowns at all these days. I will be running PinballX as my launcher. I just LOVE that front end. I still want an automated method to load and update tables... But maybe someday.

I am hoping to get started on it, this week. But it depends on how work is this week.

Change of plans :D

This should be interesting. I am going to use Windows Server 2012 R2. We shall see what happens. I had originally planned to use Server 2003, when I first built it. But issues I had led me to believe it simply would not work. Turns out.. those issues had nothing to do with the OS at all. And since I am working on my certifications in this OS and preparing to deploy it on about 200 servers....

Good time to experiment :D

Well.... that was remarkably simple. I am now running Server 2012 R2 as my Cabinet's os. My boot time is only 11 seconds from power button to log in screen. I expect when I finish and ave the default account setup to auto login, I will be at the desktop in 12 seconds and in PinballX within 16 seconds.

I really didn't have to do anything special to get everything up and working. Now to start loading tables.

• 5 months later...

I tentatively have Optimus-Pin listed for sale, if anyone is interested. I am ready to build the next one, but need to free up some funds first.

I have a LOT of money in this cabinet, with the artwork, hardware and all.. And it is utterly perfect and ready to go, so No it won't be cheap. But if anyone is seriously interested, feel free to contact me. :)

Randy 

Probably the same thing on the outside. I love the art and the cabinet. So it will start with a Mameman P2k :)

But inside will be a different light show, using the RGB Strips and mirrored sides I think. Also, I want a pneumatic lift for the PF screen this time.
I considered just gutting mine and using it... But the building was half the fun :D 

I am still shopping around for what I will use as contactors. I want a deeper thump, more like a Bally machine of the 90's. I may use actual Pinball solenoids, not sure. I have a few on hand. It is just a matter of the amperage they will draw. With the new plan for the cabinet lighting, I will have more options for the DMD Reflection as well. The way I have it now is good, But not the exact look I am going for.

With my current setup, it is just slightly fuzzy. And the lights behind the reflection can wash it out. In my redesign, I hope to have LEDs all the way around the playfield. So the effects won't be focused solely in the back. But rather relative to where they should actually be. Also, I am either going to get P2K glass, or project the display this time. REALLY thinking hard about a projection setup.

• Content Provider

Well, I'm intrigued. A dedicated projector solves a serious problem. Sure, VPinMAME and FutureDMD has native support for vertically reversing the DMD image, but it's not the same story for any commercial simulators. Not much support for cabinets much less those with a p2k design. I don't see that situation changing. Looking forward to your build diary.

http://makezine.com/2013/01/31/how-to-5-mobile-phone-projector/

Yea, I have some commercial tables installed currently, but I don't play them too often because there is no support for my reversed DMD and no support for feedback. If they ever get the feedback support in them, I will be all over them.

That is a cute little projector idea. :) I may have to play with that for fun in the office!

the only trouble with the projector is finding one with a really short throw, as you won't have much space between the projector and the image surface.

i played around with a optima 101 pico projector, as i have one sitting around doing nothing, and from the distance of around 15" it was only projecting about 6-7", not the 14-15" i was looking for. you will also need quite a high lumens unit, otherwise it will be really dull.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if I keep and update my cabinet, or sell it and build another one... One thing is for sure. I have GOT to redo he wiring on my cabinet :D

I have used it as a test bed for two years and I must say, it has become a mess. Iw ill update with some pictures as I get started. Might be tonight, might be tomorrow... Might be next week.

But one thing is for sure, I am replacing all the Cat5e I used to wire up the LEDs with Shielded Security wire. 22/4 to be exact.
When I built the cabinet originally, I did not take into account electrical noise. The Cat5e wire does a LOUSY job of dealing with it. So if say my Cat5e winds up touching a power cable, I get all kinds of lovely noise out of it. The 22/4 should solve that. I am also going to pay more attention to making sure Data wires, Audio wires and Power wires are routed as to not interfere with each other.

Rgbs have been rewired. Old dead power supply removed. Replacement Supply which has just been sitting on the floor of the cab, had all extra Wires removed. Speaker writes rerouted.

I still have a lot of work to do.. BUt it it's a start and my back is killing me.

Archived