Optimus-Pin A Tf P2K Build

ViriiGuy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have sepnt the last few days, painting and sanding and painting and sanding.

I just got the first coat of high gloss black paint on the cabinet. I have a lot of sanding to do, before the next coat.... But it is getting there!

Sorry for the lousy picture, but the car was in the garage, making it impossible to get a good angle on the cabinet.

6C371760-4106-4EC0-B598-DC84C462A2A6-491

Yea I utterly despise painting. If I could pay someone $100 and have it done right.... I would. I went out to give it a look just a bit ago. I will deffinately need to buy another quart of black. I still have a lot of sanding to do.

The I side is pretty much done, but it needs a little more work in the area that will be visa Ke by the playfield.

Progress!!! And setbacks....

I started working on the assembly this weekend. I did not quite get as far as I wanted though.. I broke the monitor for my back glass. So I have to order another Acer A243H 24" Monitor. Fortunately, I found a refurbished one this time. So at least I did not have to pay as much again.

I got a hole cut in the back of the cab for my plug and got the contactors in place. Later I am going to lay out the locations for the rest of the gear. I am waiting on my PCB mounting feet to come in. But here is how it looks right now!

7E4F73DF-BC96-4CEC-B784-BE84ECDFB11C-116

Still plugging along on the Cabinet!

This is a short video of it working... Sorry no sound on the video. I will get better once we find our camera.

Since this I have been working on the wiring and the nudging. I have my MS Sidewinder pro installed now and am working on getting nudging to work properly in FP. I have it working pretty good in VP. And today I hope to have more of the wiring completed.

26928A6E-0EF8-46F4-97BD-1C48C99C85DC-317

I got the side art from my artist, so I threw together a quick and dirty image to see what the cabinet will look like when complete...

cabinetmockup_zps2a575f1b.jpg

IT is getting there!!

Now I gotta quit blowing up stuff....

I fried a 12 volt and 24 volt powersupply, along with my iPac-2. So... I have decided to rethink my design. I bought another users Force Feedback setup, complete with 2 of Zeb's High power boards. When I am done, I will sell off the extra bits I have. On the plus side... I now have a shaker motor!! They should get to my house by this weekend, along with my new iPac2. Then, I will start working on the wiring again.

The side art is finished!!!

sides_zps27fc5ca0.jpg

The Head art is being modified to match it a bit better.

I also got my box of feedback goodies today. I now have booster boards a shaker and wiper motor!!

Unfortunately, the advertised Cree LEDs are not Crees, but are the same 3w RGBs I already have. No big deal.. as I don;t think I would have used them anyway :)

Thanks! I am really pleased with it so far.

Nope, we have not started on it yet. Still not even sure what it will be. I am also considering reproducing the space/grid design for the inside of the cabinet, by the LCD.

• 1 month later...

Wow, has it really been over a month since I updated this?

Well, I got my art and it is now installed. Here are a couple pics in my Gallery...

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/gallery/album/22-optimus-pin/

And for the latest news... I was almost done with the wiring.. Everything had been just fine for a week.. And then while playing, I smelled the smell of Magic Smoke...

I opened the coin door and saw my LEDWiz, on FIRE!!! So I cut the power and pulled the gladd and PF Monitor off as fast as I could. I got the fire out, but not before it killed my remaining High Power Board and of coarse the LEDWiz. I have a new LEDWiz coming and two new HPB's coming from a fellow building in Switzerland.

I also found my Motherboard is outputting 9 volts across the USB Bus. Which is nearly double what it should be. I am not sure if this caused my fire or something else.. But to be safe, I have a replacement board coming and I am completely redoing all my wiring. I will also be testing each individual device outside the cabinet.

• Content Provider

sounds like something alot higher than 9 vlts went through 

lets hope it was just a faulty ledwiz but i would check and double check everything before trying again.

fire is usually a good sign that something has been done wrong, i know from experience :D

cab looks sweet VG!

Thanks P1. I have been slowly testing everything. The PSU has tested out ok. The motherboard is being replaced, All my contactors and their connections check out. All my LEDS check out and work properly in stand alone tests.. The Shaker and wiper motor are not hooked up and were not hooked up, but they also check out. The knocker is the same.. I did not have my button lights hooked up yet, but they also seem to check out. IT does look like my Undercab RGB LED strip lights are dead. They were connected to the section of the LEDWiz that caught fire.. as were the RGB Flipper LEDs... Which are still working and seem unaffected.

I cannot guarantee that the MB USB Bus did not spike to 12 volts.. But when I test it, it is putting out a steady 9 volts. I am not really sure... But so far, almost everything tests out. I did lose a few USB Devices that were on the same bus that is spitting out the higher than normal voltage. My new LEDWiz is supposed to get here tomorrow. My MB Will be in in a few days.

Archived