Pin2Dmd Colorprism V4.0 Firmware

lucky1

• Content Provider
37 minutes ago, sprudeldudel said:

The java thing fixed the scaling. thank you! :)

for the other thing i made another video with the full screen. it shows the issue.

I can´t reproduce your video with the latest version. In the latest version th Mx marker is only shown when a keyframe is selected.
BTW. what we are discussing here is not anything functional . The M prefix is just informational and may or may not suit your personal taste, but has nothing to do
with a bug.

Something that I think would be helpful with 64-colors now, is a set of palette tools (gradient, copy, paste, switch colors) that control 16 colors, instead of just 4 at a time.  It could be, and probably should be, in addition to the tools already there for 4 colors (just put a 4-icon tool set below the existing one).  It would be handy to control the entire 16-color palette, especially for 16 shade games like Stern.

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, sudsy7 said:

Something that I think would be helpful with 64-colors now, is a set of palette tools (gradient, copy, paste, switch colors) that control 16 colors, instead of just 4 at a time.  It could be, and probably should be, in addition to the tools already there for 4 colors (just put a 4-icon tool set below the existing one).  It would be handy to control the entire 16-color palette, especially for 16 shade games like Stern.

Added to the latest build

• Content Provider
21 hours ago, sprudeldudel said:

That is not the case. I open it, it takes its time loading due to the many dumps and scenes it contains and then it is ready to be worked on, just like with the old editor. No prompt for conversion :(

Can I force the conversion manually?

Also fixed in the latest version

• Content Provider
10 hours ago, sprudeldudel said:

@lucky1: Do you know where there is some documentation on the "replace sequence", "replace mask", "color mask sequence" and "color mask layered" options?

Although I am now quite familiar with the "color mask" and "replace" options, as well as masking, triggering, delays, and palettes - those others I would still like to learn a bit about. my ultimate goal is to color the video mode of getaway and I 'think' i might need some of that to be successful with it.

Look at https://pin2dmd.com/ Chapter 8,9,10

Also (please don't feel obliged) - what do you think about making the width of the "recordings", "scenes" and "keyframes" lists (screenshot attached) adjustable? In case it is easy to do, it would be quite useful to keep a better overview. if, however, it is already part of what will be done for the folders-feature request on github, never mind :)

Sorry I currently don´t have time to add "cosmetic" feature requests. That is why the feature request on github is so old

Getting in to this editor bit by bit, I also really have to say it is quite incredible, what you have created here. Not just figuring out what the device itself needs to do to turn monochrome into color, but also tackling the challenge of an editor that "normal" people can actually use. that is quite an achievement!!

Thanks, but most of the work has been done by @steve45

Thanks for this update, the continuous improvements on PIN2DMD is what makes it stands out... 

I do have a few questions though:

- Can I infer from this release that it can now support Stern SAM ? I seem to recall this was a palette limitation which was causing PIN2DMD to not support fully SAM colorization

- If it is now supported, is there any way to reuse the work done for some SAM colorizations which specifically required to patch the ROM ? I manage to reimport the recordings of the colorized ROM (Star Trek in this instance), unfortunately I could not find a way to reimport the palette file so it could be used by the editor

- Is there a repository for DMD recordings somewhere ?

- And on a completely different topic: colorization is very time consuming. It would therefore benefit from collaborative work, for example multiple individuals working on the same colorization (through a github for ex). Unfortunately, if my understanding is correct, it seems that all project files are monolithic, unless I'm missing something ? It would be good to be able to do a "split by scene", so that several individuals could each work on a specific different section of the colorization (for example one would work on Mission 1 DMD frames, another one on Mission 2 DMD frames, etc - with a master file hosted on the github), is this possible ?

Cheers

• Content Provider
10 minutes ago, Ashram56 said:

- Can I infer from this release that it can now support Stern SAM ? I seem to recall this was a palette limitation which was causing PIN2DMD to not support fully SAM colorization

Did you read the first post ? Yes !

11 minutes ago, Ashram56 said:

- If it is now supported, is there any way to reuse the work done for some SAM colorizations which specifically required to patch the ROM ? I manage to reimport the recordings of the colorized ROM (Star Trek in this instance), unfortunately I could not find a way to reimport the palette file so it could be used by the editor

There is no direct way to do this, because the programmer from pinball browser does not support any open export format.
What you can do is make a recording of a complete gameplay of the patched rom and reuse the replacement scenes by cutting the scene and assigning the correct palette.
The you keyframe this scene to a recording of a unpatched ROM.

14 minutes ago, Ashram56 said:

- And on a completely different topic: colorization is very time consuming. It would therefore benefit from collaborative work, for example multiple individuals working on the same colorization (through a github for ex). Unfortunately, if my understanding is correct, it seems that all project files are monolithic, unless I'm missing something ? It would be good to be able to do a "split by scene", so that several individuals could each work on a specific different section of the colorization (for example one would work on Mission 1 DMD frames, another one on Mission 2 DMD frames, etc - with a master file hosted on the github), is this possible ?

You can export and import single colorized scenes and palettes,  so yes this should be possible.

I think I may have found a bug with 64-color mode.  Here is a colormask frame that is in 16-color mode:

image.thumb.png.9d20379e2b4f5400f49dc286917b361a.png

I made a copy of the xml and ani files and opened and converted them to 64-color mode.  Then I changed the colorization of this frame slightly to this:

image.thumb.png.5c5aecaf22e317c200320d43480f8d75.png

All I did was change and use the first two 4-color blocks of the 2nd row of colors to effect the color of "Super Cue" and the dynamic score (30,000 in this case).  When I play this on a real machine, this is the result:

image.thumb.png.1e5203c82dc469c073d68aa8e4464927.png

So, it looks like it is reverting back to the 1st row of colors, but swapping the two 4-color blocks.  Weird.

• Content Provider
21 hours ago, sudsy7 said:

I think I may have found a bug with 64-color mode.  Here is a colormask frame that is in 16-color mode:

image.thumb.png.9d20379e2b4f5400f49dc286917b361a.png

I made a copy of the xml and ani files and opened and converted them to 64-color mode.  Then I changed the colorization of this frame slightly to this:

image.thumb.png.5c5aecaf22e317c200320d43480f8d75.png

All I did was change and use the first two 4-color blocks of the 2nd row of colors to effect the color of "Super Cue" and the dynamic score (30,000 in this case).  When I play this on a real machine, this is the result:

image.thumb.png.1e5203c82dc469c073d68aa8e4464927.png

So, it looks like it is reverting back to the 1st row of colors, but swapping the two 4-color blocks.  Weird.

You are testing with a Capcom Breakshot real pinball machine, right ? I think the problem is not the 64 color mode in general but specific to Capcom.
How did you get this picture from the real machine ?

3 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

You are testing with a Capcom Breakshot real pinball machine, right ? I think the problem is not the 64 color mode in general but specific to Capcom.
How did you get this picture from the real machine ?

Yes, it's a real Capcom Breakshot machine.  That is just a illustration of what the machine is outputting (easier than taking a picture of it but I can if you like).  Actually, I would have liked to capture the output on virtual pinball, but I cannot get the 64-color vni and pal files to work with it.  Tried to replace the dmddevice.dll file with your latest but it didn't work - granted I am not very familiar with VP.

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, sudsy7 said:

Yes, it's a real Capcom Breakshot machine.  That is just a illustration of what the machine is outputting (easier than taking a picture of it but I can if you like).  Actually, I would have liked to capture the output on virtual pinball, but I cannot get the 64-color vni and pal files to work with it.  Tried to replace the dmddevice.dll file with your latest but it didn't work - granted I am not very familiar with VP.

I think I found the problem. Could you please test v4.03 I just uploaded ?

On 1/22/2021 at 5:41 PM, lucky1 said:

I think I found the problem. Could you please test v4.03 I just uploaded ?

Yes, it works correctly on my machine now!

Is it possible for the 64-color mode to work on Virtual Pinball (just using my monitor for the DMD)?  I have been successfully using the  16-color vni and pal files on it, but not the 64-color mode files.  I think I'm using the Freezy dmddevice.dll in the pinmame directory.  I replaced it with your latest dll, but no luck.  Is there something else I'm missing in the VP setup?

Edited by sudsy7

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, sudsy7 said:

Is it possible for the 64-color mode to work on Virtual Pinball (just using my monitor for the DMD)?  I have been successfully using the  16-color vni and pal files on it, but not the 64-color mode files.  I think I'm using the Freezy dmddevice.dll in the pinmame directory.  I replaced it with your latest dll, but no luck.  Is there something else I'm missing in the VP setup?

They should work with my DLL but not thoroughly tested. Which driver do you use ?  libusb or winusb ? Please check with Zadig. 
Freezy currently does not work with 64 color files but I sent the infos to the dev team a couple of weeks ago.

2 hours ago, lucky1 said:

They should work with my DLL but not thoroughly tested. Which driver do you use ?  libusb or winusb ? Please check with Zadig. 
Freezy currently does not work with 64 color files but I sent the infos to the dev team a couple of weeks ago.

At the risk of sounding stupid (I'm a newbie to VP), are those drivers only needed for interfacing a PC to an actual Pin2DMD device via a USB port?  The only Pin2DMD I have is installed in my pinball machine.  My desire is to have the virtual DMD on my computer monitor, so that I would be able to take screen captures for troubleshooting purposes.  And if that's the case, I would need to wait until Freezy is updated with that capability?

Ok I was messing around with the LCM on my Breakshot, and I cannot seem to get it working correctly.  I'm wondering if it is another Capcom-specific problem or if I am just not doing it right.  Here's what I did:

image.thumb.png.e657d756e6bf9940e16d5e6c8e3ec865.png

This is the first frame of the newScene - it just colors the common area that will be shown each time a ball is scored and assigns it a hash.

image.thumb.png.958b87244a52b5b648f9e56c20c3d2d5.png

The next frame in the newScene is color and hash tag assignment for 10 ball.

image.thumb.png.c3794ebbe92ef8dca6c9d54b2cf6f1f1.png

The next frame in the newScene is color and hash tag assignment for 9 ball.

image.thumb.png.92cf668e54008fdfe0e59117c2c40bdd.png

And here is the keyframe for the newScene.  When I run this on my machine, nothing in the scene is colored correctly - just randomly garbled colors.

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, sudsy7 said:

Ok I was messing around with the LCM on my Breakshot, and I cannot seem to get it working correctly.  I'm wondering if it is another Capcom-specific problem or if I am just not doing it right.  Here's what I did:

Send me a copy of your project with all the dumps that I can have a closer look.

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, sudsy7 said:

Project has been sent to you.

What does the problem look like on the real pin ? The only thing i can see is that you used the rectangle draw tool which you should avoid and use the fill tool instead in lcm mode. You should make sure that the free black areas always use color 0 and not some other black of other color groups.  I haven´t tested on hardware so far.

P.S. Just found another issue looking at your screenshots. The "newscene" scene does not have the palette assigned shown on your screenshot (8 ball Window) but the newscene palette. You need to press the pal button after selecting a different palette to assign it to the scene.
Maybe that is already your problem.