The Getaway - High Speed II 64 color Edition

• Content Provider

Other thread was , well a mess.  I started this off of my original attempt from like 2 years ago and combined it with Mr.Tantrum and JustAnotherRat's work. To be honest they didnt have much but since I used some of their work, they deserve some credit. Their dumps were an immense help.

Files hosted here!

I deserve no credit, but thanks for the gesture.  I failed at my attempt and succumbed to outside pressures forcing me to give up - which still irks me.  Anyway, I know it is early, but I will do all that I can to help test and provide feedback as you progress on your own timetable.

Also, glad you splintered off a new thread for a clean start.

I need to get myself reacquainted with everything PIN2DMD.  I know what the .pal file is, but what is the .vni file?  I assume both are required for proper operation?

Also, my first effort just produces based color: white, red, cyan.  Contents of my SD card are:

pin2dmd.dat (set to Williams & VGA)

pin2dmd.key

PIN2DMD.pal (from your link)

PIN2DMD.vni (from your link)

Is there supposed to be a PIN2DMD.fsq file?

I know that my previous colorization worked (well the things that I had done correctly appeared in full color), so not sure what is up.  Do I need to upgrade firmware or anything on my display?  When booting display shoes v2.54.

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, MrTantrum said:

I need to get myself reacquainted with everything PIN2DMD.  I know what the .pal file is, but what is the .vni file? 

PAL+VNI files are for virtual pinball usage. For real pins you need PAL+FSQ

• Content Provider
12 hours ago, MrTantrum said:

I need to get myself reacquainted with everything PIN2DMD.

I PM'ed you a link to the source so you can export real pin files. I'll put up the real pin files later. Not enough is really done to justify real releases. I only put up the VPin files so ppl can see I actually did a little work :)

Not sure you want feedback yet given that things are so early, but I did want to share two things:

1) So far, I love it!  Man, this pin really deserves a colorized DMD, and the little you've done so far looks great on it.

2) I like the colorization mask for the main display (e.g. player score, speed, etc.)  I did notice that when the speed goes from two to three digits that the additional digit to the left (e.g. the "1" in 120MPH) takes on the color of what is left of it and not of the rest of the speed display.

I know you have other projects going, and this will be something you work on as you have time.  However, like I've said before, I'm super excited about any progress you make and I'm happy to help however I can.  Whether that's just testing and providing feedback as you release updates or doing any of the manual frame colorization grunt work if there is a helpful way for me to do so.

• Content Provider

Lucky is helping me fix up whats already done, then I'll move on to getting all the attract mode done.  This is really going to be a laissez faire type situation. I have way to much other real life stuff going on to dedicate a lot of time to this but since I own the pin now I really do want it in color more :)

My highest pin2dmd priority is just killing the last of the Lethal Weapon 3 bugs and finishing converting all the TriBall stuff to Multiball.

sorry to post here, but can everyone else run GW_L5 with vpinmame sam build 4730?  When I run in test mode it just hangs, when I run it in vpx table runs, but no dmd display and then crashes out when I try to quit.  Any ideas?

Sorry fixed it, I had a duplicate line in my dmddevice.ini file to turn on dmds for my tables

• Content Provider

Can you guys test the match game for me? Just uploaded a new version and added a new GIF of the lambo wipe (I slowed it down for the GIF)

.05    Lucky cleaned up some triggers
    Fixed RPM color mask on "RPM redline"
    recolored Super Charger Boost
    reshaded both "lambo wipe" screens adding some much needed detail.
    SHIFT
    4th Gear , cause why not do them out of order?
    recolored "score" mask, too similar to colorDMD's version
    cut all 39 frames of the match game, masked and triggered. duped frame 4, so ignore the missing number in the source

Just finished playing several games with .5, and have some feedback.

- The match game looks really good.  There is some minor ghosting on police car (flashes some red colors within it at times).  This "ghosting" seems rather typical on Getaway.

- The default mask is needs some more color to it besides just red and white.  I really liked the yellow you had before, but I understand that you don't want to mimic ColorDMD.  Maybe you could play with some different combinations or colors switched around in the mask.

- Didn't notice colorization of 4th gear.

- Didn't notice colorization of Lambo wipes

• Content Provider
On 4/9/2019 at 8:41 PM, MrTantrum said:

Just finished playing several games with .5, and have some feedback.

- The match game looks really good.  There is some minor ghosting on police car (flashes some red colors within it at times).  This "ghosting" seems rather typical on Getaway.

- The default mask is needs some more color to it besides just red and white.  I really liked the yellow you had before, but I understand that you don't want to mimic ColorDMD.  Maybe you could play with some different combinations or colors switched around in the mask.

- Didn't notice colorization of 4th gear.

- Didn't notice colorization of Lambo wipes

Right now the score is yellow, ball is red, ball number is white, MPH is green, MPH number is white, and freeplay/credits is red. Its pretty close to how I did T2. I dont really like the score in yellow but I'll leave it for now.

.06    Super Charger Millions plus the  1,2,3,4, and 5 variant
    Gear Award Bonus Held
    1st Gear
    2nd Gear
    3rd Gear
    Changed score colors
    2X Bonus Splash
    Recolored "Extra Ball at"
    Extra triggers for 4th gear
    Added extra Lambo wipe triggers
    Added extra Police wipe triggers
    New police wipe, added shading
    Adjusted palette to try and remove "ghost reds" from "Match Game"

I will test today.

BTW, forgot to mention on my .05 notes on match game that at the very end of the animation the match score (large font bottom center) changes colors (I think it goes from either white or yellow to red).  Don't know if this is by design or not, but thought I would mention it.

• Content Provider

For those who want to look at the source, or export for real pin:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ezyqZ6VAHwOCeZzqoOF-npTQoozmL1lf

.07    Call this the WOB release, cause he did a video for me that was a huge help and he provided a dmd dump with it.
    Changed the hitch hiker to match the backglass. Red shirt, blonde hair. (WOB)
    corrected color mask width on Loop Champion
    fixed credit show break between shift scenes ("Credit Reset")
    corrected title card palette and trigger frame
    Helicopter Bonus
    even more lambo wipe triggers
    changed super charger active boost color mask and added new triggers
    even more police wip triggers
    changed default 4 color palette to  greyscale.
    removed old traffic light masks and triggers
    new traffic light masks and triggers
    Lock Is Lit
    tweaked RPM color mask
    redid "Gear Award" to cover all gear awards
    corrected hitch hiker scene timing (first frame had too long of a delay, may need tweaked)
    SuperCharger Mode
    Started redoing all the super charger millions. start position and direction isnt static; doing 1 to 1 framing
    super charger millions 1, 2 , and most of 3 are done. They are 8 frames each and theres 10 numbers sooooooo..... its a big chunk of work.
    super charger millions changed to red and blue (WOB)
    extended delay of last match game frame to hopefully stop the number changing colors at the end
    Loops to lite super jackpot
    New score mask/trigger for credits
    New score mask/trigger for freeplay
    Shoot the Super Charger
    Millions solo animation
    Score with loop count

blonde.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...