Led-Wiz Wiring Quick Questions

Les73gtx

Seasons greeting's everyone!

Doing a little rewiring on my cab and I have a question about putting additional voltage to the Led-Wiz. I have a mix of 5v and 12v toys and LEDs wired to the Led-Wiz but everything is wired using relays to supply the voltage to the toys. So the Led-Wiz is only supplying an activate signal.

Do I need to separate the 4 banks by voltage?

Do I need to supply 12v to the correct bank voltage for those toys?

Can I get away with not running any additional power to the Led-Wiz Bank Voltage Select?

Thanks for your time and Happy Holidays

Les

• Content Provider

You have to consider the relays that you have attached to the LEDwiz as toys.  What are the switching voltage and current requirements for the relays?  The LEDwiz with no additional power supply can only provide about 500mA at 5V.  

mmmmh the problem on this Relais board is that it uses Common GND and the ledwiz needs common + so you have a problem and its lag !

first idea use P channel Mosfets to drive your toys but you must use a Transitor to change from GND switching to + Switching

here on site 6 is a sample

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/AppNotes/DG232_20.pdf

or you solder a N channel Mosfet direct to the Mainchip of the ledwiz  (Shaker with H Bridge) so you can use the driver board from my Arduino Project and you can drive more than 500ma

the other way is with no waranty dont use  the Bank Voltage Select add on every Toy a Diode and that is it. the bank voltage select is only for the intigrated diodes of the ULN CHIP. Atention (500ma per channel)

• 2 weeks later...

It is all set up and working very well. No Lag at all, I have watched my wife play and she has watched me play. Even using legacy ledcontrol.ini as DOF will not work for me atm.

So even though your process "on paper" might look like it produces lag there is no noticeable lag in actual game play.

I am not sure your statement about the LedWiz being + Side switching is accurate as everything else I read says it is a -side switching. It is the ipac that uses + side switching.

Thanks for your comments, I did not provide any additional voltage to the voltage bank. They do have available the same relay board in a Solid State 8 channel for $20 and I think I will order one of those next time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

The ssr board needs ac on the switching side because i have one here read more about ssr on wikipedia normal ssr nedds ac it gives special relais for dc switching. Or you use 110v/220v relais for the effects. They are more powerfull

sorry but i have test this and i use 1 ledwiz and one of my clones and i use the ssr board to fire up my 2000w Strobe  :)

Hi Les,

The voltage banks on the ledwiz are just for closing the flyback clamping circuit built into the ic. There are small signal diodes inside the chip on each of the outputs and the bank voltage inputs complete that circuit so that the excessive voltage from a spike is dumped off to that point slowly.

If you are using an external diode (as you should be) at the point of inductance (at the motor or coil that is being operated, remember that your relays have a coil and need this protective diode) then there is no need for any connection to the bank voltage on the ledwiz.

The 5v and ground terminals on the ledwiz supply additional current capacity (the usb port is only good for 500ma total) to the outputs in the instance where someone is running multiple loads directly from the outputs that exceed a total draw of 500ma.

That answer is probably clear as mud...so the short answer is no, with the use of external relays and diodes there is no need to connect the voltage banks....:D

Archived