Multiple ZeDMDs?

clemon79

Is it possible to run more than one ZeDMD in a single VPin? For example, I have an HD P2 sized one that I am going to use as a topper of sorts (for people to see scoring from a distance), but I am also noodling with the idea of putting a normal SD P2.5 in the apron spacer between the bottom of the playfield and the front of the cabinet. Of course, they would mirror the same info, but my question is, can the DMD extensions handle that?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 12:24 PM, Westworld said:

no, it checks for the first device answering and use that (and only that), even more are available. It should be possible, but I think not so simple. If you need it, I guess best is to ask for a feature request (I assume via GitHub at ZeDMD repository)

Oh, I don't NEED it by any stretch. :) More wanting to know if it's possible before I throw myself into a complicated project. As it happens there's much less room in the apron spacer than I thought. I might make a module that can replace the LED matrix in the back one day.

• 1 month later...

So it looks like this solution involves upgrading to ESP32S3 boards, is that what I am gleaning out of the Discord thread? Very much on board with this, especially since they appear to be much more powerful. Just looking ahead to sourcing parts. :)

@clemon79 @zedrummer @Westworld

The information shared here is outdated.
Using the upcoming 2.2.2 version of DMDext and ZeDMD firmware version 3.4.0, you can turn off the USB autodetection and specify a concrete COM port individually for ZeDMD and ZeDMD HD. This way you can attach both in parallel using different preprocessing/scaling.
It isn't required to upgrade to an ESP32 S3 for that. The old ESP32 is sufficient

The 2.2.2 preview can be downloaded from https://github.com/PPUC/dmd-extensions/releases/tag/v2.2.2-zedmd

The 3.4.0 firmware is available via the update tool or directly from https://github.com/PPUC/ZeDMD/releases/tag/v3.4.0

This video demonstrates a ZeDMD and a ZeDMD HD used in parallel: