2 sound cards vs 7.1 card, SSF Exciters + Sub vs Bass Shaker or both?

woodsy15

Hi all, 9+ years ago when building cabs for me and friends I used two sound cards:

#1 - Line Out > 2.1 Amp = this drove 4" in the backglass for Rom/Game sounds and the crossover went to a 8" sub in the bottom of cab

#2 - Line Out > 2.1 Amp = this drove 4" speakers under the cab for mechanical sounds and the crossover went to a tactile transducer (Bass Shaker)

This allowed for independent control of volume for each, music had good thump and the bass shaker gave you the "feels" for the table mechanical sounds

Exploring a new build, not going to go as far as actual solenoids etc.. but looking at SSF

a 7.1 sound card seems to be the way to go for SSF but I have a few questions:

• Front Out > BG speakers for Rom/Game sound and music
  • Rear Surround Out > Pair of Exciters under 43" screen
  • Side Surround Out > Pair of Exciters under 43" screen (not sure which high and which low at flippers but maybe not important right now;-)
  • C/Sub Out > to TT Bass Shaker

In this scenario there is no true Subwoofer, does my music and Rom sound low frequency just all go to the Bass Shaker? Won't that sound poor?

The Mechanical (General Output) sounds will go to the exciters, they will shake a bit but will the Mech sounds be muffled and weird?

Should the Bass Shaker on the C/Sub output be a 8" Subwoofer instead?

Is SFF designed in tables so that all the mechanical table sounds go to the rear and side surround channels?  or will Mech sounds in a 7.1 setup also come out of the front channels/Backglass speakers?

Does it make sense to still use two sound cards in order to have a bass shaker and a true subwoofer?

When you select "7.1 Surround Sound Feedback (enhanced)" in the VPx Audio Options, does the exciter rear and side surround audio go through the General output card selected, or the Backglass Specific card?

Could I ask more questions in a single post?  Yes...

Any help would be great, trying to get a handle on this before I order parts and save myself from incorrect setups and changes...

Screenshot 2023-06-28 100856.png

May have found my own answer, adding info here for posterity 

Seems like some sound cards, like the USB external Star Tech 7.1 has the front L/R 3.5mm output labeled as "2.1"

This means that a true 8" sub can be used with the BG speakers for Rom and music via a 2.1 Amp

While the SS Side and SS Back 3.5mm outputs can go to 2.1 Amps and the crossovers will send low frequency to the Bass Shakers

Assumption is VPX is smart enough to send the General output mech sounds to the SS Side and SS Back channels explicitly, and not send any of it to the BG Front L/R...

VERY helpful video(s) from Way of the Wrench on YT can be found here, highly recommend:  

Also just learned about PinVol !  something that did not exist a few years ago that seems very helpful...