JPs Space Cadet Pinball v1.1.2

Hiylow

Yeah. If you take someones else's work, make only a few changes to it and post it as your own ( NOT MENTIONING THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR - EVEN IF EVERYONE KNOWS) - you will not get ANY love in this community. Actually. If you only make script changes, the best solution is to just post the script on pastebin / github - a place where it isn't gone the next day. IF however, there is changes, that require a new file. Make sure that you have asked for permission, been given it or at least waited a couple of months for the response. AND credited the original author in a proper way. This is not VPF, we actually do care for the original authors. In your case, JP is still very active. He is a gentle giant; always willing to listen to suggestions. I'm very sure that he would listen to your suggestions if you only offered them to him. ALWAYS, contact the main author, offering your work first and foremost. If he where to use any of your changes - I'm 100% sure that you would get credited for it.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to take a moment and clear up a few things regarding this subject (I am the person that did the modifications to that table - not the person that asked the question in this thread). This was a simple case of not knowing how things worked, and not one of malice on ANY level. I contacted JP before making any changes to the table and got his permission to modify it. I explained the types of changes I was going to make, and he was fine (or so it seemed). Where I got tripped up was with the whole "MOD" thing, and the way it was supposed to work. I put the changes up using the original title and bumped the version number - this was apparently a huge mistake and ruffled a bunch of feathers. It was not my intention to impersonate anyone, or try to take credit for anything. Actually, quite the opposite. I was attempting to make sure everyone knew it was JP's table, and thus kept his name on it. Again, big mistake on my part. I fully documented every single change I made in the script with commenting and indicated that I was the person that made the change. I worked in software quality assurance for a few years for a government contractor that wrote software that involved multiple developers. My mindset was that this worked the same. Another mistake. Anyway, I obviously upset JP, and for that matter a few others. That was never my intention. I promptly removed the file in question (which is a kick ass version of the table BTW). I sincerely apologize for the misstep. It won't happen again, mostly because I will just keep my table versions to myself. The last thing I want to do is piss everyone off. 

I hope this sheds some light on what happened. I certainly didn't mean to cause trouble. I appreciate everything the developers do to support this hobby. 

-Jim

• Administrators
5 hours ago, jwkramer61 said:

I'd like to take a moment and clear up a few things regarding this subject (I am the person that did the modifications to that table - not the person that asked the question in this thread). This was a simple case of not knowing how things worked, and not one of malice on ANY level. I contacted JP before making any changes to the table and got his permission to modify it. I explained the types of changes I was going to make, and he was fine (or so it seemed). Where I got tripped up was with the whole "MOD" thing, and the way it was supposed to work. I put the changes up using the original title and bumped the version number - this was apparently a huge mistake and ruffled a bunch of feathers. It was not my intention to impersonate anyone, or try to take credit for anything. Actually, quite the opposite. I was attempting to make sure everyone knew it was JP's table, and thus kept his name on it. Again, big mistake on my part. I fully documented every single change I made in the script with commenting and indicated that I was the person that made the change. I worked in software quality assurance for a few years for a government contractor that wrote software that involved multiple developers. My mindset was that this worked the same. Another mistake. Anyway, I obviously upset JP, and for that matter a few others. That was never my intention. I promptly removed the file in question (which is a kick ass version of the table BTW). I sincerely apologize for the misstep. It won't happen again, mostly because I will just keep my table versions to myself. The last thing I want to do is piss everyone off. 

I hope this sheds some light on what happened. I certainly didn't mean to cause trouble. I appreciate everything the developers do to support this hobby. 

-Jim

This is the exact reason as to why I beleive that ALL MODs should all be done using the VPURemix program.  This would stop any issues such as this...