Question about buying a pinball machine.

softfish

I have a bit of money saved up and am seriously considering taking the plunge and getting a machine.

I'm wondering if it is something that i will be able to get money back on (for the most part).

My idea is to buy one, play it for awhile and trade or sell it for another.

Just looking for some input from real owners.

Thanks in advance

• Administrators

Right now purchasing a physical pin is a decent investment.  Pinball machine prices for used machines are higher than they have ever been before.  Eventually the market for them will crash and prices will eventually level back out, but right now pinball is HOT.  If I had the income, and space, I'd love to have several physical machines. Thankfully I have many friends with very nice collections that I can live vicariously through. 

Dazz could be totally right, and no one can predict the future, but I doubt prices will ever go back down much. There is a company that puts out fairly low quality machines, while raising prices on a constant basis called Stern. The market will always somewhat revolve around whatever they do because they have a rabid fan base that will buy anything (they tested the waters and the consumers spoke…they can release ANYTHING at ANY price and it will sell)…as long as it’s new they will want one, and they will effect most everything else in some way. It’s too late now. 

Thing is though, no matter what you buy I doubt you’d lose much money, at worst I’d bet you’ll come out even. Remember, most people that have machines will trade assuming the price point and condition match. I guess if I could give one message to you it would be “just go for it and have fun”. I’ve bought machines that were insane deals, I’ve bought ones that cost a ton….either way I’d come out fine. There are a lot of variables, but say you buy something at 5K and the best you can get is 4K years later….eh…so what…as long as you had fun and enjoyed the machine…at least that’s my frame of mind. To date though there is nothing I own that wouldn;t make me a fair amount of pesos, or can trade for even. 

Go for it, have fun, it will always be worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it….alas, the important mind set in my opinion is “that is what I want to enjoy, heck with the future”

I would say, you've mostly got a healthy attitude with it, machines can always be good to trade for other machines when you tire of them.

But please, please, as good as pricing is, don't look at it as an investment. As long as you work it right, look at it as entertainment that will hold value, as long as it's maintained. And get it to play it, first and foremost. Be aware of the trap of, "but it's too nice to play, it'll lose value if I play it too much," because then you won't play it and won't enjoy it.

Do also realize that the current inflation spike is going to basically wipe out any improvement in value that has occurred the past 3-4 years... and that doesn't take into account a market crash if a bunch of people who have bought the machines suddenly need to get rid of the machines, even if they're ones that have to take a "loss" on what's actually been a 10-15 year journey for them.

Lots of people get a machine, enjoy it and then trade with others in their area. I wouldn't treat it like an investment, but it would be rare that you wouldn't be able to trade it for a comparable game or add cash to improve your options once you tire of it.

I currently have 4 beaters in various states of repair. Fixing 'em is half the fun for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 2:42 PM, bord said:

Lots of people get a machine, enjoy it and then trade with others in their area. I wouldn't treat it like an investment, but it would be rare that you wouldn't be able to trade it for a comparable game or add cash to improve your options once you tire of it.

I currently have 4 beaters in various states of repair. Fixing 'em is half the fun for me.

Connecting the dots a bit…are you fixing up a Jokerz? 

6 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Connecting the dots a bit…are you fixing up a Jokerz? 

I wish! High on my wishlist and I can't afford a nice one so I've been collecting parts... Good deduction, though.

• 4 weeks later...

While I don't consider pinball machines to be an investment I will say that they for the most part maintain their value if not go up in value. When you buy a brand new pin, unless it's an LE, expect to usually take a bit of a hit in resale early on, maybe $500 - $1k.  Still that's not bad compared to other hobbies. If you hold onto the game for a while then that is really where the value can increase. Buying used, while still expensive, is where you will reduce taking a hit with resale value.

I currently own 6 mechanical LCD era pins that I bought new. One of the Stern premiums, Ghostbusters premium, I bought some years ago for $6800 shipped, I could probably sell it for at least $12k now. If I tried to sell Ghostbusters within a year after release I likely would have taken a bit of a hit. Hobbit LE from JJP I bought for $8k and can probably sell it for $10k - $12k now. One of my most recent purchases, Wonka LE by JJP purchased for $11k new, is my most expensive pin purchase to date. I could probably break even right now, maybe lose $500 but that doesn't bother me. Heck if a "lost" $1k - $2k on all of these games it wouldn't really bother me as compared to a vast majority of hobbies that's still a great resale value percentage. I only have my current lineup as I bought and sold other older pins years ago that went up in value which I then rolled into the current games. Take Twilight Zone for example, had one (miss it) but bought it for $3k 12 years ago and sold it for $7500 a few years back (has since gone up even more).

I'm buying a prebuilt virtual pin shortly (I know should build myself, would like to but don't have the time) primarily to play pins from the pre LCD era. Now with that I know I may end up losing 50% in value at some point but it's going to bring a lot of fun considering I don't have the room or money for 100+ pins. At some point with this hobby, either virtual and or real, I say just enjoy it, and worry about the money second as none of us are taking that with us anyway lol.

Edited by PanzerFreak