Junk Yard 64 colors

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Content Provider

Hi Guys !

Sorry it's been a while since I've updated this post, but as you guessed, the project is a bit on hold.. It's summer time !! Too hot to work in front of my computer !

I took time to pimp my pincab and make a guncab though !

Don't worry, I'm not giving up on Junk Yard, even if the finalisation will take some time, I will do it till the end.. 

Stay tuned !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I’m newly registered and registered only for this.

I recently received my own Junk yard with Pin2dmd already installed on it although it was blank (used stock Pin2dmd colors).

So I gave this a go and it works.

A few quirks of which maybe you already know but I will list them for you.

Also I will be sending you a donation as this is awesome. It really ties in a great pinball machine.

It seems like that the last frame of the previous animation “etches” in on the score. Sometimes the score is yellow but for most parts it seems to be the last frame of the previous animation.

68133B2F-0316-45B5-A34A-25AF004DFB39.thumb.jpeg.627c8fe17a805ba09d1ee8167b4e6907.jpeg

During the  bonus scene the angel shadow is outlined during Television bonus.

C73A4FD8-A796-4E2F-B34E-C853E9162C70.thumb.jpeg.f2a738cae714b09649327af0493d8a56.jpeg

Also, without picture, the devil is most of the times gray/black&white on the animations for me. I’m guessing he should be red as the .gifs you’ve posted before.

Do you want any pictures or videos of that?

Just give me a shout and I’ll test whatever you’d like for you.

Last but definitely not least a HUGE thank you.

The amount of work you’re putting in to this for fun and for us others is astonishing.

A true pinball lover and hero. You’re awesome!

A random pic of the machine running with your graphics and my 3,5yo boy pounding those balls.

5478C79B-A24B-4250-A11D-ED6A3FE8AA1C.thumb.jpeg.1c317d728fbd5b0aae8e2ea84660051e.jpeg

• Content Provider
14 hours ago, ViperTim said:

It seems like that the last frame of the previous animation “etches” in on the score. Sometimes the score is yellow but for most parts it seems to be the last frame of the previous animation.

68133B2F-0316-45B5-A34A-25AF004DFB39.thumb.jpeg.627c8fe17a805ba09d1ee8167b4e6907.jpeg

In this particular screen you've got a credit dot. Sometimes these aren't accounted for and can cause transitions and scenes to break or fail. You can see the dot right after the word PLAY 

If you can go into your machines test mode and check what the issue causing the dot is, it "could" solve some issues for you. The credit dot is a subtle indicator that there is one or more errors with the machine that need to be addressed.

This can usually be addressed in the colour file but isn't always a priority with work in progress builds. Other factors that can affect scenes breaking is the dot or comma in the score, as these can sometimes need to be triggered separately. Also some colour files may not have free play (or credits) completely triggered so you may find swapping the mode may help. All this depends on the artist and where they are up to with the file.

I suggest you download the latest version available here (rename both files to just pin2dmd and leave the .pal and .fsq extensions on them, then copy these to the SD card) and install it just so you can make sure you are running the latest build, also update to the latest firmware for the Pin2dmd here by copying the .upd file to your SD card. The unit will go blank for a few seconds and then reboot.

It does look like free play with a dot was accounted for in a certain situation, so it may be a case of an old version you have installed or you have a difference scenario not yet captured.

"21/03/2022:

- Freeplay with a dot (when previous score = 0)"

If you have the ability, a USB Mini B cable and a PC, you can greatly help this project by dumping scenes via your Pin and PC to help Dtatane add in the missing frames. It's very simple and I would be happy to guide you through it if you are willing to have a shot.

Thanks for your feedback

2 hours ago, Terranigma said:

In this particular screen you've got a credit dot. Sometimes these aren't accounted for and can cause transitions and scenes to break or fail. You can see the dot right after the word PLAY 

If you can go into your machines test mode and check what the issue causing the dot is, it "could" solve some issues for you. The credit dot is a subtle indicator that there is one or more errors with the machine that need to be addressed.

This can usually be addressed in the colour file but isn't always a priority with work in progress builds. Other factors that can affect scenes breaking is the dot or comma in the score, as these can sometimes need to be triggered separately. Also some colour files may not have free play (or credits) completely triggered so you may find swapping the mode may help. All this depends on the artist and where they are up to with the file.

I suggest you download the latest version available here (rename both files to just pin2dmd and leave the .pal and .fsq extensions on them, then copy these to the SD card) and install it just so you can make sure you are running the latest build, also update to the latest firmware for the Pin2dmd here by copying the .upd file to your SD card. The unit will go blank for a few seconds and then reboot.

It does look like free play with a dot was accounted for in a certain situation, so it may be a case of an old version you have installed or you have a difference scenario not yet captured.

"21/03/2022:

- Freeplay with a dot (when previous score = 0)"

If you have the ability, a USB Mini B cable and a PC, you can greatly help this project by dumping scenes via your Pin and PC to help Dtatane add in the missing frames. It's very simple and I would be happy to guide you through it if you are willing to have a shot.

Thanks for your feedback

What a reply!

I did read just a few hours ago that the credit dot may cause issues. I know exactly which switch is my problem (works when I trigger it by hand but ball does not trigger it…) and I fix that.

I did update the Pin2dmd to 4.41 prior to using this build but I will check version again.

I am fairly sure I did use that version of the build, is it the same as the one in the google.drive that’s linked to in the first post? They were named JY_12 as well and seems to be the same google drive but the links have different extensions…

I will give the one you linked to a go!

and check firmware.

And fix my game…

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, ViperTim said:

I did update the Pin2dmd to 4.41 prior to using this build but I will check version again.

4.41 is currently the latest firmware available.

I am fairly sure I did use that version of the build, is it the same as the one in the google.drive that’s linked to in the first post?

That's correct

They were named JY_12 as well and seems to be the same google drive but the links have different extensions…

There are 2 sets of files on the google drive, a real pin and a vpin set. You must use the real pin set on your machine and the file name extension should end with .fsq and .pal.

While the vpin can also have a .pal, this pal is not compatible with real pin, vpin also uses a vni extension or alternatively a single .pac file which is what you will find on the google drive.

I would check what files are on your SD card right now and delete anything that doesn't look correct (back it up first!).

You want to have pin2dmd.fsq and pin2dmd.pal both renamed from jy_12.fsq and jy_12.pal from this link 

The latest public files available are dated may 23rd 2022 and you can also confirm by their file size.

After confirming the version and updating if needed (as well as fixing the credit dot), let us know if it fixes any of your issues. The feedback provided is always helpful, no matter how small.

On 9/14/2022 at 3:54 PM, Terranigma said:

4.41 is currently the latest firmware available.

That's correct

There are 2 sets of files on the google drive, a real pin and a vpin set. You must use the real pin set on your machine and the file name extension should end with .fsq and .pal.

While the vpin can also have a .pal, this pal is not compatible with real pin, vpin also uses a vni extension or alternatively a single .pac file which is what you will find on the google drive.

I would check what files are on your SD card right now and delete anything that doesn't look correct (back it up first!).

You want to have pin2dmd.fsq and pin2dmd.pal both renamed from jy_12.fsq and jy_12.pal from this link 

The latest public files available are dated may 23rd 2022 and you can also confirm by their file size.

After confirming the version and updating if needed (as well as fixing the credit dot), let us know if it fixes any of your issues. The feedback provided is always helpful, no matter how small.

Update!

Updated to FW 4.41 and downloaded the JY_12 files again and renamed etc.

Still same.

Fixed credit dot and now it’s working much better! Not 100% but a lot better than before.

So it is something with credit dot.

If dtatane ever would like a log of that I’m happy to do it. A credit dot is easy to create.

• Content Provider

Hi,

Thanks for your message and support !

I could have a look at it, but as I don't own a real junk yard pinball machine, I'm not sure i would be able to recreate the dot credit screen in order to record it !

If you can dump the screen where it appears, I could add it on the TODO list !

The weather is getting worse these last days... I might stick a bit more behind my computer which means getting bak on colouring !

• Content Provider

Hi guys,

I uploaded a new version, check out the GDrive !

I played a few times and recorded a lot of missing screens... the TODOlist is getting bigger, but I'm getting closer to an end 🙂