Time To Move On In My Life

vpmaster2004

I have decided that within the next 2 and a half years, I'm moving out of my grandma & grandpa's house. I'm 30,and I think it's about high time I got out of my grandma & grandpa's house, and, as much as possible, take ownership of my own life. I've lived with them for nearly 21 years, and frankly, I don't really think I'm happy with the way my grandma has changed. She hasn't been the person I used to remember her as. For example, it seems like each time she finds out that I've made a mistake, she has to be critical about it, and point it out to me. I've even told her that I don't like the way she's changed. She has to accept this fact. I know she's changed because of my grandpa's condition. He has Dementia, and Alzheimer's. I used to hang out with my grandpa a LOT, but now, because of his condition, I feel embarrassed if he's anywhere near where I am when I go somewhere. I do love my grandparents, but I find the way they are, right now, to be unacceptable, and I know I can't control the way they are. 

A lot of people in the chat room already know that I'm planning on moving out, and I want to thank them for supporting my decision to do so. Osprey has been helping me, and he deserves very special thanks from me for helping me in starting the process.

Some of you already know where I plan on living. For those of you who don't, here's the details: http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Illinois/Champaign-Apartments/University-Village-At-Champaign-Apartments

Sounds like you need to grow up, stop being ingrateful, and get your life together man.

For example, it seems like each time she finds out that I've made a mistake, she has to be critical about it, and point it out to me. I've even told her that I don't like the way she's changed. She has to accept this fact.

Lightpin, that was very harsh of you to be so critical towards me. I can tell you right now that I am disabled. I have Williams Syndrome. I personally do not like being negatively criticized by my grandma, nor do I like being negatively criticized by anyone else in my family. I have TRIED, time & time again to accept myself for what I am to my grandma. I think she has to understand that it's time for me to move on, and take control of my own life. If I am not happy being with her & my grandpa, then I have legal right to move out and permanently disown them. 

• Content Provider

Unfortunately, this kind of stuff comes up when you open up on the Internet. It's best to keep your private life amongst your friends and skip posting to forums, as people love tear each other down. People tend to be real jerks when cloaked with the veil of annonimity.

In regards to your post. It's scary moving out on your own at first, and probably even scarier when you have a disability like that, but you will find your way, and things will all come together. Just make sure you have a good plan before you leave. The last thing you want is to have to go back.

Good Luck!

• Content Provider

Nate, move out if you must, but don't write them out of your life completely. With your grandpa's condition it's only normal to expect that it's not easy on your grandma. But they won't be around forever either, so it's good that you get your feet wet on your own. FIRST you need a job, before anything happens. Ultimately, you'll need a car too. This is something you need to prepare for and not do on a whim. I guess what I'm saying is:

Have a plan

Be prepared

DON'T burn your bridges

Execute your plan.

try not to turn your back on relatives

I was at odds with my dad for decades (it took my divorce in '03 for us to 'make up')

and finally I got to like him for  about  6 years before he was diagnosed with cancer

and we lost him in '09 due to Brain cancer

but we didn't speak for about 30 years of my adult life

and I feel we missed out on so much

I know it feels at times like an impossible task

but again they are your grandparents and if you ignore them now they may not be around

when you really want to talk with them

good  luck with your moving and all...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Taking over the world at 25 mph! If you don't like it, then stay off the sidewalk!

Anytime Nate wants to join up in my gang, he's more than welcome. First stop is Ohio where we chase Bob through the cornfields, chucking cobs. :ph34r:

Good luck to ya Nate! Don't be too hard on your grandma, she's dealing with a lot too.

Here I am letting the neighbors know who rules this town!

YOU BETTER HIDE!

Rascal_moped.jpg

Archived