Here are a few quick settings you can change in windows 10 to give you guys more performance who have older computers and need extra power

JerseyJohnny

• Content Provider

Much of what you are showing is ok for "PC" gaming.... but will possibly cause problems with VPX / FP / PuP / VPVR. (we've learned this through lots of experience over the years).

The power saving / plan settings are not a bad idea for a dedicated PC used for virtual pinball, and I typically use the same.

For nvidia control panel... yes change OpenGL to Max Performance (though this only benefits FP and VPVR as VPX doesnt use OpenGL), and I too set to Max Performance for Power Management. The rest should ideally be left alone (and much of it won't have a great affect on VPX / FP). Things like Low Latency can actually cause problems.

DSR does not require an RTX GPU. I used it on my older system with a GTX 970 and had it set to x4 and smoothness to 0, to run 4K resolutions on a HD TV... and it looked and ran (I would not use smoothness at all). This is actually a good test for someone to know if their system can handle a 4K TV.

However, the "extra" DL options under DSR are DLSS and require an RTX card. I havent yet been able to try this out as T still run with a GTX 1080 in 4K.

Game Bar, yes should be off.

Game Mode is typically  recommended to NOT be enabled for virtual pinball. It's actually been known to cause some issues for exclusive fullscreen apps used for virtual pinball (though this has been getting better).

Some users don't want anything like dynamic refresh as that too can cause performance / sync issues with older apps like VP / FP.

That said... you are using a RTX 3090 which is overkill for everything except VPVR (though if running at 120hz / 240hz / 4K then its handy). So chances are... whatever possible problems that may arise from some settings, you aren't seeing them anyway due to your system being faster than 95% of the rest of the community. Whereas most others with perfectly fine Pcs, may get odd problems with some unneeded settings.

I can't tell, but it also seems like you may be using an ALP? If so, then the ALP is only HD (not demanding at all for a 3090) and the ALP has hardware delay / lag due to it's main board output to the playfield TV (when passed through from OTG) that cannot be completely bypassed (due to the video processing it does on its main board). This will throw off perception of how the games "should" feel for responsiveness, etc. (I know, as I reviewed the ALP). Some people adapt to it... but when compared to a PC and a Tv that doesn't have this issue, you'll see the difference right away.

Great tips normally... its just sad that our ancient little vp apps not only don't get much benefit from most modern features... but they sometimes cause problems as well.

On 2/18/2022 at 9:00 AM, Thalamus said:

Not especially impress by some of these settings, but, hey, if you want to have your GPU running full throttle and your monitor to burn in if you pass out from too many beers. Please feel free :)

NONE OF THESE SETTINGS HAVE YOUR GPU RUNNING AT FULL THROTLLE, and as i said in the video most of us this video is for our pinball table so your gonna want your monitors to stay on, for attract mode. Not to mention I been gaming on every type of screen my entire life, and NEVER have i had burn in on any screen.  Not even my laptops. Although i had plasma screens when LCD's where having the burn in problems. Then I went to samsung Qled, never a issue, Now I try and only use Lg's if i can.  I have a 65inch LG C9 thats about 4years old, has hdmi 2.1, has a xbox series x, , a alienware area 51m, and a firestick and i can say its probably turned on 80% of its life, and still no monitor burn in.   Monitor Burn in was a blip in the history of gaming.  Alot of it was scare tactics used for click bair, But for someone who has used PC's and screens as much as I have, I've never had any burn in.  Almost every OLED tv built in the last 5 years has some sort of antiburn in feature built into them.  That being said, the video wasn't made to impress you, it was to help someone who needed just alittle more performance out of his pc. 

On 2/18/2022 at 10:09 AM, TerryRed said:

Much of what you are showing is ok for "PC" gaming.... but will possibly cause problems with VPX / FP / PuP / VPVR. (we've learned this through lots of experience over the years).

The power saving / plan settings are not a bad idea for a dedicated PC used for virtual pinball, and I typically use the same.

For nvidia control panel... yes change OpenGL to Max Performance (though this only benefits FP and VPVR as VPX doesnt use OpenGL), and I too set to Max Performance for Power Management. The rest should ideally be left alone (and much of it won't have a great affect on VPX / FP). Things like Low Latency can actually cause problems.

DSR does not require an RTX GPU. I used it on my older system with a GTX 970 and had it set to x4 and smoothness to 0, to run 4K resolutions on a HD TV... and it looked and ran (I would not use smoothness at all). This is actually a good test for someone to know if their system can handle a 4K TV.

However, the "extra" DL options under DSR are DLSS and require an RTX card. I havent yet been able to try this out as T still run with a GTX 1080 in 4K.

Game Bar, yes should be off.

Game Mode is typically  recommended to NOT be enabled for virtual pinball. It's actually been known to cause some issues for exclusive fullscreen apps used for virtual pinball (though this has been getting better).

Some users don't want anything like dynamic refresh as that too can cause performance / sync issues with older apps like VP / FP.

That said... you are using a RTX 3090 which is overkill for everything except VPVR (though if running at 120hz / 240hz / 4K then its handy). So chances are... whatever possible problems that may arise from some settings, you aren't seeing them anyway due to your system being faster than 95% of the rest of the community. Whereas most others with perfectly fine Pcs, may get odd problems with some unneeded settings.

I can't tell, but it also seems like you may be using an ALP? If so, then the ALP is only HD (not demanding at all for a 3090) and the ALP has hardware delay / lag due to it's main board output to the playfield TV (when passed through from OTG) that cannot be completely bypassed (due to the video processing it does on its main board). This will throw off perception of how the games "should" feel for responsiveness, etc. (I know, as I reviewed the ALP). Some people adapt to it... but when compared to a PC and a Tv that doesn't have this issue, you'll see the difference right away.

Great tips normally... its just sad that our ancient little vp apps not only don't get much benefit from most modern features... but they sometimes cause problems as well.

I thnk you misunderstood the tips i gave. I only gave 4 maybe 5 suggestions, 

Setting your computer to performance mode is a given.  Anyone who has done any kind of work on their pc , from editing, to gaming knows just turn the power setting to performance mode.  its not gonna break any speed records for you, but it will help the person this video was intended for who had the correct hardware but just didn't seem to be getting the type of performance he felt he should be getting. 

OPENGL setting in the NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL

This is not a performance settings. This is a prevent you from getting a direct x error message while using opengl, specifically programs from steam. which alot of us do.  This particular fix, took me over 6 months to figure out for getting pinballl wicked , black flaggers to launch.  (Before I even thought about a pinball table or popper etc)  Unfortuantely those designers pretty much have abandoned that game , but did finally answer my email when i said i have a fix to your direct x error message.  since they wouldn't post it in their forums. Anyway turns out , in certain games, its someones fault, microsoft (proobably), developer, or NVIDIA, but just by changing your OPENGL setting to your systems video card instead of automaically, fixes this weird direct x bug.  and that was the end of it. lol. So now to avoid the issue from repeating itself, i just set it to my graphics card. So besides the programs you listed, add to it pretty much steams database of games. Not all of course, but most do use OpenGl.  And why us telling the driver to use our graphics card instead of it automatically figuring it out fixes it, I have no idea. lol. 

The Power Mode is def. something that its important you know what exactly it does, not at all to say who is wrong or right, but because i literally have a category of your releases on my table. So this is a you benefit, I benefit situation. lol. The setting your card to full power is incredibly important because it has nothing to do with OPENGL , other then just being under it in the list, and the effects a more powerful card would have on OPEN GL in General. Im not gonna write it over, I posted a screen shot so you could see it effects all matters of the gpu.  

In all reality, the easiest thing to do to tell people if they want to set their gpu up to run at a productive speed, just to click on the control panel and change the overall settings to use my preferance to performance instead of quality. lol. 

As for DSR, I'm afraid you were advised in correctly on how it works, especially if someone told you to turn it on when you , yourself was only using a gtx970 gpu, DSR stands fror DYNAMIC SUPER RESOLUTION.,  Now what this does is if you have a 1080p screen, it allows you (if you have a powerful enough graphics card , which you def did not) to run the current game at 2X 3X even 4X the screens maximum resolution, then it down scales it back to your 1080p screen which is most cases applied a artificial type of super AA. Doing so with your GTX970 back then , Im actually suprised you didn't get blue screens of death, artifacts, and all kinds of screen tearing etc. I just can't picture a gpu of that scale being forced to run whatever you were playing at 4k back then. 

Anyway in the video I specifically told people not to copy my settings they see, just follow the instuctions given, The only thing ALP about my system is the bottom half of the cabinet, its been completely gutted of everything ALP (except the control deck which i find quite useful, and on sale for $120) The monitor im using is a LG 165hz gaming monitor 1ms. hdr-10 etc.  However I cap my gpu at 90FPS, As for turning on G sycn or VRR.  If a persons monitor doesn't support VRR (Variable , Refresh Rate), you just won't gain the benefits of it. If your monitor doesn't support it , it shouldn't even allow you to enable it.  And if your using a TV, you need to have a hdmi 2.1 for it to even support VRR.  I showed the slow transformation from alp, to alp OTG, to just virtual Pinball machine.   There was no more i was dealing with OTG, LVDS boards for my dmd and constant firmware upgrades that caused nothing but nightmares.

Hope your back to good health.  I just got over COVID for the second time, not to mentioned im vaccinated. I think a trip to vegas is in order. lol.  

power managment mode.PNG

• Content Provider

I've been a PC Gamer for many years (since Win 95 came out).... built many different PCs with many different configurations (single screen, triple screen - nvidia surround, 3d, vr, SLI, lots of overclocking, liquid cooling, etc).... and I'm an IS tech as part of my job. I agree with most of what you say for "PC" gaming... but some things I mention are a legit issue for many users with virtual pinball... and I've been dealing with giving support for VP / FP / VPinMAME / PuP / Pinball X / Pinup Popper / PuP since 2015. I've seen it all.

PC Gaming is a different animal than virtual pinball. I normally would do much of what you describe for PC gaming... but virtual pinball is very quirky.

Yes, I completely understand what DSR is, how it works, and what it does.

DSR at x4 is literally giving you a 4K resolution option if you have an HD monitor (which you must select the 4K resolution in Windows and your games after its enabled). Once you select that resolution, your system is literally running and rendering in 4K.. BUT... it is then being down sampled to the monitor's native resolution. An excellent form of AA for years, as you said (until DLSS that is). So yes... enabling this is a very good test to see if your system can handle 4K. This is why I used DSR to be sure I could handle a 4K Tv with my 970 in my cabinet, years ago.

I upgraded my cabinet to A 4K TV back in 2018 (I think) running on an i5 2500K, with a GTX 970.... running VPX / FP / FX3 / Popper / all pup-packs.... and had no problems... no stutters... everything ran fine (though I would keep reflections and AO off since VPX tends to not render that well anyway). Eventually, I got a second used GTX 1080 and a deal on a i5 9600K for the cabinet which is used for PC Vr as well. This just gave more breathing room for everything (though it was critical for VR).

Remember... we are talking about virtual pinball here... not PC Games (though I also run Pinball Wicked,etc). Many users tend to have VPX setup wrong, or enable options that provide little graphical benefit or creates glitches... but it will slow down their systems dramatically. In the end though...as I said... anyone who has a high end system won't see the same issues most of the time compared to the majority of the vp community.

It's a shame about the ALP and the OTG delay / issues. Its why in my review I pointed those out... and mentioned that if you are casual, its a fine unit.... but if you are a power user... then you will probably build your own, or replace most things to what you want anyway.

I'm also jealous of your system... and being able to run over 60Hz,etc. Maybe one day I'll get to 120Hz 4K... have DLSS,etc. For the first time in my house... my son has a better PC than me with a RTX 3080... yet he sadly runs it on a HD monitor.... and plays Roblox most of the time.... though he loves Dying Light 2 (mostly).

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 2:13 AM, TerryRed said:

I've been a PC Gamer for many years (since Win 95 came out).... built many different PCs with many different configurations (single screen, triple screen - nvidia surround, 3d, vr, SLI, lots of overclocking, liquid cooling, etc).... and I'm an IS tech as part of my job. I agree with most of what you say for "PC" gaming... but some things I mention are a legit issue for many users with virtual pinball... and I've been dealing with giving support for VP / FP / VPinMAME / PuP / Pinball X / Pinup Popper / PuP since 2015. I've seen it all.

PC Gaming is a different animal than virtual pinball. I normally would do much of what you describe for PC gaming... but virtual pinball is very quirky.

Yes, I completely understand what DSR is, how it works, and what it does.

DSR at x4 is literally giving you a 4K resolution option if you have an HD monitor (which you must select the 4K resolution in Windows and your games after its enabled). Once you select that resolution, your system is literally running and rendering in 4K.. BUT... it is then being down sampled to the monitor's native resolution. An excellent form of AA for years, as you said (until DLSS that is). So yes... enabling this is a very good test to see if your system can handle 4K. This is why I used DSR to be sure I could handle a 4K Tv with my 970 in my cabinet, years ago.

I upgraded my cabinet to A 4K TV back in 2018 (I think) running on an i5 2500K, with a GTX 970.... running VPX / FP / FX3 / Popper / all pup-packs.... and had no problems... no stutters... everything ran fine (though I would keep reflections and AO off since VPX tends to not render that well anyway). Eventually, I got a second used GTX 1080 and a deal on a i5 9600K for the cabinet which is used for PC Vr as well. This just gave more breathing room for everything (though it was critical for VR).

Remember... we are talking about virtual pinball here... not PC Games (though I also run Pinball Wicked,etc). Many users tend to have VPX setup wrong, or enable options that provide little graphical benefit or creates glitches... but it will slow down their systems dramatically. In the end though...as I said... anyone who has a high end system won't see the same issues most of the time compared to the majority of the vp community.

It's a shame about the ALP and the OTG delay / issues. Its why in my review I pointed those out... and mentioned that if you are casual, its a fine unit.... but if you are a power user... then you will probably build your own, or replace most things to what you want anyway.

I'm also jealous of your system... and being able to run over 60Hz,etc. Maybe one day I'll get to 120Hz 4K... have DLSS,etc. For the first time in my house... my son has a better PC than me with a RTX 3080... yet he sadly runs it on a HD monitor.... and plays Roblox most of the time.... though he loves Dying Light 2 (mostly).

Nothing will beat my first PC Build, i was given a 386 sx pc , but then got into gaming and built my first gaming rig. a intel 486 DX66  (thats right , i had a math coproccer with it) lol, I had 4mb of ram ( mega bytes) .i upgraded to 8 mb or ram and the one 4 MB ram stick cost me over $200. lol Then i bought my first vide card an ATI all in wonder that had 4mg of vram.  Back then is when the first form of SPAM was invented by America Online.  There isn't one person alive , who was alive back then that doesn't remember getting those free 500 hours AOL CD Rom discs in every magazine they read. lol. Man this conversation just took me back.  Im only 44 but young builders today have no idea of the nightmare it was installing a modem into a pc that had a sound card and having to set the jumper and memory settings correctly to get them to play together nice. lol. 

Awesome new game by the way. Werent you working on a silent hill game?  Just curious, i want to make sure i didn't miss it or something. I think  the virtual pinball tables that , create "levels" where the actual playfield changes if you unlock the correct items, is def the future of virtual pinball. 

• Content Provider

Silent Hill is still being worked on... but my health (had a stroke) made me take a break from that... and Sonic was supposed to be just a quick update, and turned into a new table pretty much.

I'm currently updating PinEvent and all my previous PinEvent releases and updating Sonic / BvP / JYC for PinEvent, and then back to Silent Hill and RF2.

nothing made my vpx pc run better than running Daddymadu win 10 optimize/declutter script.

it gets rid of all processes/junkware that comes preloaded in windows except anything related to gaming. i easily got 20 more fps by running this. older intel i7 and gtx 970. read the github page and run the command posted there. stupid easy. gives you a few options and prompts (yes or no questions really) during install so not completely unattended but still super easy regardless. 

https://github.com/DaddyMadu/Windows10GamingFocus#readme

On 3/6/2022 at 5:08 PM, TerryRed said:

Silent Hill is still being worked on... but my health (had a stroke) made me take a break from that... and Sonic was supposed to be just a quick update, and turned into a new table pretty much.

I'm currently updating PinEvent and all my previous PinEvent releases and updating Sonic / BvP / JYC for PinEvent, and then back to Silent Hill and RF2.

Well get yourself better first before sitting at a computer for hours and hours when you probably should be resting. I only say that because , i didn't have a stroke, but was shot , and during recovery I basically wasn't allowed anything but my phone or ipad. Sitting at a computer desk is pretty bad for our cardiovascular health, and overall health in general.   And if your like me, you'll sit down at a PC, and have to be told to stop working on the computer and come to bed.  If not theres been plenty of nights where i've started sometime around 10pm and next thing i know its 9am.  And Im not even playing video games.  Its all creating and things of that nature. lol. Hope your feeling better.  I dont want to freak you out, but you may have to steal your sons graphics card for the next FX. They are recommending a RTX 2070.  But thats just if you want to run it at 60fps with all the bells and whistles.