[New VP10 Alert] Lord of the Rings Valinor Edition (Stern 2003) VPW

Lord of the Rings Valinor Edition (Stern 2003) VPW

The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail, to the ruin of all. 

The VPin Workshop Fellowship proudly presents an entirely reimagined and originally illustrated Lord of the Rings pinball experience.

Ver 1.3 Notes;

Among other things this should help a lot with anyone who was getting white texture issues and fix some stuttering issues for some people.

Ver 1.1 Notes;
LOTR was designed in 10.6 (as are 99% of our tables) and this time converted to 10.7 on the very last revision so that we could use webp image support to cut the file size down to almost 1/4 of the size. However it seems that there are numerous issues with how 10.7 deals with either large textures, large file sizes or something else, which has resulted in the white textures reported. We're looking into why this happens and will work with the VPX devs in any way we can.
These bugs, combined with 10.7 not being fully compatible with VR yet have led to us to revert to 10.6 (as all of our previous files have been).
Other fixes including minor physics repositioning and cabinet mode tweaks.

The journey began when we received an excellent playfield scan, but soon found ourselves wanting to drastically change the artwork. So began the long journey into the depths of Mordor, where many challenges were encountered and overcome. The table is entirely rebuilt, with much effort spent toward making it as physically accurate as possible. All the figurines have been scanned from the actual pinball toys. The table is exquisitely modelled and raytraced, with special visual features added to some modes to enhance the drama.

Your quest through this game will not be easy, but we hope it will be enjoyable!

•    Apophis - Project Lead, Scripting, Determination. Hairy feet.
•    Astronasty - All Original Artwork. Large Axe.
•    Tomate - 3D Magic and Wizardry.
•    Sixtoe - Random Stuff, VR Things, Screaming. Sword.
•    iaakki - Some flashers, random stuff. Bow and Arrow.
•    Skitso - Lighting tuning.
•    EBIsLit - Baseline playfield scan, purchasing the playfield figurines.
•    Dazz - 3D scans of all the figurines.
•    Wylte - Ball Shadows, Palantir Sauron eye movement.
•    Fluffhead35 - Ramp and ball rolling sounds.
•    HauntFreaks - Blackglass B2S.
•    Bord - Playfield mesh.
•    GTXJoe - Shot testing tool
•    Flupper - General assistance with rendering issues.
•    RothbauerW - Physics tutorial, general assistance.
•    PinStratsDan & VPW Team - Testing.

•    Rik - Lord of the Screams.
•    Everyone in VPW for their support and encouragement!
•    The PinMAME and VPX Developers for the programmes we all use!

This release would not have been possible without the legacy of those who came before us.

Thank you...

Fly, you fools!

==========================================================

Performance Tips;

Set DynamicBallShadowsOn to 0.

Additional VR Performance Tips;

Set PlayfieldToys to 0.

I LOVE LORD OF THE RINGS!!!!,  this table is awesome , thank you for creating it. Im having a issue with it for some reason. 

When i start the game ,its as if im missing assets or something. All my programs are up to date, this photo is the worst its been. Usually its just small areas im missing on the table. 

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this so i can enjoy this game? I have two other LOTR games and the pup pack, the other two tables have no issues, they are the regular version and jp's version. 

Any help would really be appreciated.

20220124_111624.jpg

20220124_034539.jpg

Hi, amazing issue I love the physics but I somewhat agree with BambiPlattfuss about the graphics, even though you really did a fantastic work. For mee it means a lot with original graphics since it is a recreation.

But that is not my problem. I dont have any ROM sounds. All the playfield sounds plays good, but not the rom sounds. I have checked F1 and there "Use sound" are checked and the number are 0

Use samples are unchecked.

Wow! This game really pushes the envelope on my Dell G5 5000. Sometimes multiball will cause strobing on the traveling balls, but it seems to settle in after a bit.  It could be I need to try playing without the Pup-pack. Just the same, I am thrilled with the simpler playfield graphics on my ALP's 32" screen. VPW never disappoints.

** UPDATE **

Hiding the Pup-Pack removed the ball strobing completely.  Just not enough horsepower in my setup for both, but with the standard backglass the game plays flawlessly.

Edited by DanLShane
Update on issue

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, teacher said:

Hi, amazing issue I love the physics but I somewhat agree with BambiPlattfuss about the graphics, even though you really did a fantastic work. For mee it means a lot with original graphics since it is a recreation.

But that is not my problem. I dont have any ROM sounds. All the playfield sounds plays good, but not the rom sounds. I have checked F1 and there "Use sound" are checked and the number are 0

Use samples are unchecked.

Not possible to use the original art on this - the position of the inserts has changed, and the way the playfield is "lit" is tied to the blender bake on the art.

Turn rom volume up by pressing 9, then 8 increases and 9 decreases.

@jtravapd we're looking into exactly why this happens and how to fix it now :)

Nobody knows what could be causing this issue on my build? I checked and it seems like im up to date on all my software, just downloaded the newest nvidia driver this month that came out for god of war. 

I went through all my programs .exe files and found some of them were set to run as administrator. I turned them all off, now when i run the table im just missing some assets , you could see the white areas where they would be. 

I couldnt find anything in the script to turn on graphics wise. It has to just be a simple setting i have wrong, as when things similar in the past have happened it was a easy fix. See the white areas in the photos? Thats the issue im talking about.

Its running on a Rtx3090 so its not a hardware issue. Maybe one of the developers can tell me what they think would cause this issue.

20220124_210514.jpg

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, jtravapd said:

Nobody knows what could be causing this issue on my build? I checked and it seems like im up to date on all my software, just downloaded the newest nvidia driver this month that came out for god of war. 

I went through all my programs .exe files and found some of them were set to run as administrator. I turned them all off, now when i run the table im just missing some assets , you could see the white areas where they would be. 

I couldnt find anything in the script to turn on graphics wise. It has to just be a simple setting i have wrong, as when things similar in the past have happened it was a easy fix. See the white areas in the photos? Thats the issue im talking about.

Its running on a Rtx3090 so its not a hardware issue. Maybe one of the developers can tell me what they think would cause this issue.

20220124_210514.jpg

Yeah, that's the same issue as above.  Texture files just get thrown out; they're not present in the table file anymore.  You can see the difference if you compare the image manager or file size of an affected table to a fresh download.

Thank you for the details of your hardware setup!  Any evidence helps pin down how this is happening.

11 hours ago, Wylte said:

Not possible to use the original art on this - the position of the inserts has changed, and the way the playfield is "lit" is tied to the blender bake on the art.

Turn rom volume up by pressing 9, then 8 increases and 9 decreases.

@jtravapd we're looking into exactly why this happens and how to fix it now :)

Sorry, But the rom volume is turned up.. That was actually the first thing to check. Any other ideas? Table sounds are perfect, but no ROM sounds at all.

8 hours ago, Wylte said:

Yeah, that's the same issue as above.  Texture files just get thrown out; they're not present in the table file anymore.  You can see the difference if you compare the image manager or file size of an affected table to a fresh download.

Thank you for the details of your hardware setup!  Any evidence helps pin down how this is happening.

If it helps, and i know people thinks this is crazy but about once a month i clone my drive so if anything goes wrong i can just plug it in and im rught back to everything working perfectly. Unfortunately this was the end of this month which meant i lost tons of mostly topper images, as i slowly go through my build. But i did download the table again and reinstall it etc, and as you can see its missing textures.

Has the original link been updated or changed? Id be interested in seeing what size the table file should be compared to what file size mine was after downloading it again.

I could fugure out the issue if someone else was having it, so i can rule out certain things unrelated to the actual table file, like graphics settings in vpx, or even in the nvidia control panel itself.

2 hours ago, outhere said:

I just downloaded and it worked fine
116 MB (122,642,432 bytes)

thats because they updated the file.  

Yesterdays file was named "lLord of the Rings Valinor Edition (Stern 2003) VPW v1.0_10.7" and you got what i showed up above, today they changed the file and it now works. The new file that is working perfectly is called "Lord of the Rings (Stern 2003)_VPW_v1.1_10.6"

So excellent jobs by the author, whatever they changed fixed the issue and the table is amazing.  Im just showing you what happened, so the author knows, whatever they changed last night, fixed the issue for any future releases they might have in the works. 

33 minutes ago, outhere said:

@jtravapd  This was the name of the file I downloaded this morning
Lord of the Rings Valinor Edition (Stern 2003) VPW v1.0_10.7.vpx

Yes thats what i was saying, that video was live as i posted it. Thats the file i had yesterday, try downloading it right now. Im happy, it fixed it. Table is awesome. 

Great release, thanks a lot!!

Plays great, great graphics, great sound including SSF.

Question:

I managed to get 'Destroy the Ring' lit: big red arrow insert in the middle.

Now...it doesn't matter how often I shoot into the ring (really into, ball gets back on the wire to right flipper) but it will never destroy the ring.

Must have shot it at least a dozen times but no destroy possible.

Any suggestion for this?

Thanks and thanks(again) for this great release!

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Joppnl said:

Great release, thanks a lot!!

Plays great, great graphics, great sound including SSF.

Question:

I managed to get 'Destroy the Ring' lit: big red arrow insert in the middle.

Now...it doesn't matter how often I shoot into the ring (really into, ball gets back on the wire to right flipper) but it will never destroy the ring.

Must have shot it at least a dozen times but no destroy possible.

Any suggestion for this?

Thanks and thanks(again) for this great release!

It's an issue with the rom programming or pinmame.  Happened to a tester as well - the VPX trigger gets hit, but the rom won't react.  The ring got destroyed dozens of times in testing and only did this a couple times, so it's rare, at least.

I've played both the 10.7 and the 10.6 release - being rejected a few shots going through the ring. I just put that on the account that it is actually a bit easier to get into the ring itself on the VP emulator than on the real deal. And, of course I've sometimes managed to tuck it up by draining while not completing it. But, I can assure you - here at least I've destroyed plenty of rings by now. Here, it does not happen very often, max 2 out of 10, which I said, I find absolutely fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Is anyone else having audio issues with this table?

It starts out fine when I first load the table. I hear the attract sounds. But as soon as I start a game, all the music and callouts are gone. I only hear table sounds.

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, topper2k said:

Is anyone else having audio issues with this table?

It starts out fine when I first load the table. I hear the attract sounds. But as soon as I start a game, all the music and callouts are gone. I only hear table sounds.

By attract sounds, do you mean the into narration?  That's not actually part of the rom so you might just have the rom volume off.  9 key to open the volume control, then 8 and 9 to adjust it.

And if that doesn't work:  in vpinmame make sure your rom has all the necessary sound files in the zip and that "use sound" is enabled.

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, Wylte said:

By attract sounds, do you mean the into narration?  That's not actually part of the rom so you might just have the rom volume off.  9 key to open the volume control, then 8 and 9 to adjust it.

And if that doesn't work:  in vpinmame make sure your rom has all the necessary sound files in the zip and that "use sound" is enabled.

I did have the rom volume up. But must have had a bad rom. I redownloaded it and am all good now. Thanks!!

• 1 month later...

Amazing work on this table guys!  I personally like the artwork better.  I can only imagine how much time you guys have put into this.  Game plays wonderful for me except one thing:

I am seeing ball stutter when the two VUK's kick the ball out (not the top left, but the other two).  I noticed there is a collidable primitive above each VUK and I'm guessing that's what's causing the stutter.  I've tried adjusting the "Reduce Polygons" from anything from 0.8 to 1 and doesn't seem to help.  It wouldn't bother me too much except that when you are in multiball and one of the balls hits the VUK, the stutter causes all the balls to stutter and not just the one in the VUK.  It just kills my poor CPU (A8-6500 4-core 4Ghz).  Am I the only one having this problem?  FYI, I get about 95FPS until I hit one of the VUKS, then it dips to 50-55 for a moment and then jumps back up.  Any help would be appreciated. 

13 hours ago, frysauce said:

Amazing work on this table guys!  I personally like the artwork better.  I can only imagine how much time you guys have put into this.  Game plays wonderful for me except one thing:

I am seeing ball stutter when the two VUK's kick the ball out (not the top left, but the other two).  I noticed there is a collidable primitive above each VUK and I'm guessing that's what's causing the stutter.  I've tried adjusting the "Reduce Polygons" from anything from 0.8 to 1 and doesn't seem to help.  It wouldn't bother me too much except that when you are in multiball and one of the balls hits the VUK, the stutter causes all the balls to stutter and not just the one in the VUK.  It just kills my poor CPU (A8-6500 4-core 4Ghz).  Am I the only one having this problem?  FYI, I get about 95FPS until I hit one of the VUKS, then it dips to 50-55 for a moment and then jumps back up.  Any help would be appreciated. 

if your playfield is 1080p you can try this..i had the exact same problem..it works like black sorcery.

Open your table with vpx editor. now go to image manager, then sort the images per resolution and export all the images above 1920x1080. all others below 1920x1080 i leave them like that. open the images with any program like photoshop or gimp and rescale them. let's say an image is 4800x2080 then i rescale it to a lower resolution. it doen't matter the size as long as you preserve the aspect ratio. program has lock both height and width so when you change one value the other changes aswell. so i change 4800 for lets just say 1920 and 2080 change 

automatically to a lower resolution to keep the aspect radio(VERY IMPORTANT TO KEEP ASPECT RATIO).it is not necesary to exactly chage it to 1920, you can just rescale it down 10 percent or so. or more depend on your setup. then all you have to do is save the images, import then back to vpx image manager and save the table. 

have a nice evening my good sir!

Edited by markoshugo

• 1 month later...