Windows 10 does not detect any of the 10 EVO Boards V1.4

Chesco

I just discovered that all the Chips that fail have the same numbering...

I don't know if the other members of the forum can confirm this hypothesis...

In my case, the 10 boards have arrived with a Chip whose final number is "MYS 99 101 4".

In my purchase of 10 Chips from Aliexpress, Chips with different numbers have arrived, but chance has wanted me to solder another one with the same number again.

As a last desperate attempt, next week I will change this chip for another one with a different numbering.

Screenshot_20220312-150643_Gallery.jpg

Have I made progress?
I have performed a complete erasure of the chip and after installing the firmware through St-Link V2 the Display shows the Logo.

However, when you press Reset or remove the power and put it back on, nothing appears on the Display anymore...

20220313_222258.jpg

6 hours ago, Chesco said:

Have I made progress?
I have performed a complete erasure of the chip and after installing the firmware through St-Link V2 the Display shows the Logo.

However, when you press Reset or remove the power and put it back on, nothing appears on the Display anymore...

20220313_222258.jpg

I would like to try this with the chips I have. How do I reprogram the chips completely like you did?

Also, are these chips the same ones identified as fake earlier on this thread or are you using different chips now?

If you make these work, that would mean that all the chips I have purchased earlier just needed to be reprogrammed?

Please update this with more information and perhaps if you could, a little bit more information with step by step instructions as to how you achieve this.

Please know, that when I tried purchasing from Ali Express and mentioned this on the other thread, A LOT of people contact me by private message to ask me for information. All that to say, you would not only be helping me but also helping a lot of people who do not ask for help here because, frankly speaking, there isn't a lot of help going around in this forum and whenever someone asks, you are being told to 'look it up' or 'it is too basic' or something along those lines.

If you make these work it will really really help to know exactly how, I think you are close!

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, Chesco said:

Have I made progress?

20220313_222258.jpg

Now you can try to replace the BAT60J with a wire bridge and see if that helps.

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, Tinkertilter said:

All that to say, you would not only be helping me but also helping a lot of people who do not ask for help here because, frankly speaking, there isn't a lot of help going around in this forum and whenever someone asks, you are being told to 'look it up' or 'it is too basic' or something along those lines.

Without having the same problem it is hard to help or give any hints. It is fact that the circuit has been proven to work perfectly with original STM32 chips. If clone chips need a different circuit  it is impossible to guess where and which the difference needs to be. Additionally I´m sure there is nothing like the one solutions to make them all work if they work at all.

@Tinkertilter This is what I have done, in case I can help you...

- Open Software STM32CubeProgrammer

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubeprog.html

- Connect the Display by SWD ussing a ST-Link V2 Programmer (mine is a Clone, but works perfectly...)

- Full Erase Chip

- Erasing & Programming (Select the *.bin file and press "Star Programm..."

- When it´s done, RED LED of the Display TURNS ON and Display shows Pin2dmd Logo and works...

Unfortunately, the Display stops working when:

* Press Reset button

* Power off 

* Press BTN1 + BTN2 at same time.

I have done this test with the Chips that the Pcbway Boards had "MYS 99 101 4"

After asking and exposing this problem to people who have knowledge of programming and electronics, they believe that the problem may be caused by the PDR_ON pin

3.17 Power supply supervisor

3.17.1 Internal reset ON.

On packages embedding the PDR_ON pin, the power supply supervisor is enabled by holding PDR_ON high. On the other package, the power supply supervisor is always enabled.

The device has an integrated power-on reset (POR)/ power-down reset (PDR) circuitry coupled with a Brownout reset (BOR) circuitry. At power-on, POR/PDR is always active and ensures proper operation starting from 1.8 V. After the 1.8 V POR threshold level is DocID024030 Rev 10 27/239 STM32F427xx STM32F429xx Functional overview 44 reached, the option byte loading process starts, either to confirm or modify default BOR thresholds, or to disable BOR permanently. Three BOR thresholds are available through option bytes. The device remains in reset mode when VDD is below a specified threshold, VPOR/PDR or VBOR, without the need for an external reset circuit.

The device also features an embedded programmable voltage detector (PVD) that monitors the VDD/VDDA power supply and compares it to the VPVD threshold. An interrupt can be generated when VDD/VDDA drops below the VPVD threshold and/or when VDD/VDDA is higher than the VPVD threshold. The interrupt service routine can then generate a warning message and/or put the MCU into a safe state. The PVD is enabled by software. 3.17.2 Internal reset OFF This feature is available only on packages featuring the PDR_ON pin. The internal power-on reset (POR) / power-down reset (PDR) circuitry is disabled through the PDR_ON pin. An external power supply supervisor should monitor VDD and should maintain the device in reset mode as long as VDD is below a specified threshold. PDR_ON should be connected to this external power supply supervisor. Refer to Figure 6: Power supply supervisor interconnection with internal reset OFF.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

20220314_100300.jpg

20220314_100336.jpg

20220314_100355.jpg

• Content Provider
26 minutes ago, Chesco said:

I have done this test with the Chips that the Pcbway Boards had "MYS 99 101 4"

So you mean this "full chip erase" procedure only works on the chips that were originally mounted on the boards you received from pcbway or does it also work on the chip you bought from aliexpress and soldered yourself ?

5 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

So you mean this "full chip erase" procedure only works on the chips that were originally mounted on the boards you received from pcbway or does it also work on the chip you bought from aliexpress and soldered yourself ?

I have not been able to verify the functioning in the Chips purchased from Aliexpress because these Chips have been returned to seller when I've checked that they were not recognized in DFU mode nor did the Displays work with them...

Edited by Chesco

• Content Provider
52 minutes ago, Chesco said:

After asking and exposing this problem to people who have knowledge of programming and electronics, they believe that the problem may be caused by the PDR_ON pin

PDR_ON is currently connected to GND through R4.

You can try connecting it to 3.3V  by removing R4 and soldering it turned 90 degrees with one side of R4 connected to C12 like shown in green on the picture.

R4.jpg

37 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

You can try connecting it to 3.3V  by removing R4 and soldering it turned 90 degrees with one side of R4 connected to C12 like shown in green on the picture.

R4.jpg

This way...?

20220314_115344.jpg

On 3/14/2022 at 11:25 AM, lucky1 said:

R4.jpg

It don't work either... 🤦🏻

Edited by Chesco

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, Tinkertilter said:

so are these officially fake now?

I think only STM can tell this. I would guess that those are factory preprogrammed / preconfigured chips. Maybe from an overproduction or ones that failed the quality check.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue, and thankfully have a 2nd PC running Windows 7.

I am now so far 5 for 5 using the following method:

Do not solder, plug in or otherwise assemble anything to the EVO board.

Power the bare EVO board, and put it into DFU mode by pressing and holding the DFU button, then pressing and then releasing the reset button, then releasing the DFU button.

Connect your bare EVO board to Windows 7 PC and let it install drivers etc. Once it says driver successfully installed STM32 in DFU Mode, then launch DeFUse and install latest firmware using upgrade.

Once successful, disconnect from PC and remove power.

Assemble displays and solder connectors, plug in connectors, attach ribbon cable, check orientation and proper connections.

Once all above is checked then apply power and you should be good...

In short, Windows 10 sucks for this particular application...

11 hours ago, WizardOfOddz said:

That didn't work for me.  Windows 7 wasn't able to find any drivers to install.  What drivers is your system installing?

Windows 10 is fine. His issue was totally unrelated to the windows version.

Just Ali express fake chips, that is all.