Wip: Bally Kings Of Steel (Or Right Target)

chinzman93

• Content Provider

With Satin Doll done, and the redraw I was doing for someone else complete, I wanted to get back to trying to build a table. There was good resources available for KOS and I had played that back in the day, so that is what is up next. I have been working on this off and on for a few weeks. Here is the progress so far:

Day One:

th_KingsOfSteel1_zps162cded1.png

Day Two:

th_KingsOfSteel_zps44e5a0ac.png

Day Three:

th_KingsOfSteel_zpsf730d2ec.png

Day Four:

th_KingsOfSteel_zpsd3d6bfc1.png

Day Five:

th_KingsOfSteel_zps847d65c9.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

Thanks! This was spread out over several weeks or a month. I usually wouldn't work on it unless I had at least 3 or 4 hours to dedicate to it. I hope everything comes out nice. I just picked up a Wacom Fun tablet that I have been playing with. Seems pretty cool and I hope it helps with certain items.

• Content Provider

So you are free hand drawing the entire playfield from scratch?  Amazing!  

What do you for a living,  paint and sell forgeries of priceless paintings? ;)

I don't have an artistic bone in my body. I couldn't draw a stick man without a computer. I can only trace the work of those who do have talent! :D

I just got the Wacom a couple of days ago. It actually hasn't been used on this draw yet. So far it has been mouse only. One of the reasons I got it was for things the require varying of the line weight such as the vine decorations around the cross and targets. I was just not able to make this look good with the mouse and ended up giving up and using cropped images. The rest of the table is redraw. After sometime with the tablet I hope to go back and redraw the crops as well.

In past redraws I haven't had as complex (at least for what little I can do) decorations on the original table. The few areas that I did, I matched the slim part of the line weight and then used the shape tool  to draw an area that looked like the increased line weight, then overlayed and grouped them to form the desired look. However, that was a real PITA and took alot of time.

Actually they were $3 bills. Don't know why they didn't catch on? ;)

Should have learned from the $2 bills! 

I was just looking at Asteroid Annie, great table, rotates well, but it needs the playfield retouched in the worst way.  I was thinking of at least giving it a try.  What do you use software wise for retouching artwork?

• Content Provider

Those $2 bills spend just fine. I used to get them all the time from my grandma for birthdays and christmas when I was a kid. :D

I use Serif DrawPlus X4. I got it off amazon for 29 on sale. I don't know if it is still available, but I am sure X5 and X6 are. Since I have never used a graphics program before these 3 redraws, I really can't say how good it is. I am sure the Adobe stuff or Gimp are better (more for the professional or advanced hobbyiest) but I have found this to be pretty easy to learn and it has done pretty much anything I have needed. The one drawback is that most online tutorials on youtube are for Adobe or Gimp. Serif tutorials are few and far between. So basically, I find a tutorial on what I want to do for and Adobe product and then search around for how to do it in Serif. I guess it is the draw back of a $30 dollar program.

You may want to hold off on Asteroid Annie or at least check with Bodydump. I had started a redraw of AA and was informed by Rob046 that Bodydump had already started this and made pretty good progress. I was only 5-10 hours in, so I stopped  and switched to another draw that Rob had resources for (Bally Grand Slam). I would at least check with him (BD) before you invest to much time on it. 

Thanks for the info.  I'm glad someone is working on AA that way it will get done.  I was more going to play around anyway, as I doubt I would be able to get very far with it, but I thought I would give it a try.  I have tried table building, and I think I would have a better chance building a working Star Trek Warp Reactor then building a working VP table. LOL.

I'll take a look at Serif DrawPlus, I normally use Gimp, because it's free but my skill with it is limited and I get frustrated just doing simple tasks because of the interface.

• Content Provider

Loved this game when it was out! Looking awesome! If I knew vpm coding, I could help out, but I'm doing 4 em's at once. All to fs b2s conversion from vp8. One of these days I have to get this "art" thing down....

• Content Provider

Yup :D . All  4 need to be converted to vp9 (they were all new vp8's), then a b2s for each. I'm really surprised too. I almost asked for help on flipper images, but then did "something" (I know what I did, but not why it worked). I took the flipper from Shangri-la and turned it into this. Literally took about 6 clicks, holy crap!

post-4-0-09492600-1372808925_thumb.png

post-4-0-52738200-1372808930_thumb.png

I also use Gimp2 and find it way easier than Photoshop to learn!

also it is FREEWARE something I love

I use the tired ol' MSPaint for touchups and Wavepad pro for sounds

and like you mentioned there are literally hundreds of vids on youtube

on how to do certain things with Gimp

but that pad sounds like a cool investment good luck learning it!!

• Content Provider

Here is the progress in the build so far. I want to thank Luvthatapex for the starter table that he provided. It was very helpful to see a table and script that was fully populated and go through it. However, my inexperience with working in the editor is starting to show. A lot of 1 step forward 2 steps back...quite the learning curve. I have even more respect for the table authors after this..... :)

Day 1

th_KOS_BLD_zpsacbc2964.png

Day 2

th_KOS_BLD_zps516c5263.png

Archived