PinUP Popper FrontEnd Feature 'Suggestions'

NailBuster

• Content Provider
On 12/4/2021 at 4:46 PM, pritch33 said:

Not sure but I think you can create a playlist  for updated games using an SQL search. I'm sure David has a playlist on his cab?

- Playlist that will show you the last 10 games you've updated in Popper (via drag/drop update method)

Select * from games where visible=1 order by datefileupdated DESC LIMIT 10

https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=playlists_sql_examples&s[]=sql&s[]=playlist

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey @NailBuster....I'm not sure if you are still monitoring this thread for feature requests, but here are few items I thought of...apologies if any of these are possible today and I just wasn't aware.

1. 1he ability to create a table "group" of the same table. I'm not talking about playlists and I don't think this is possible with the altrunmode functionality.   A few examples might be when you have the regular version of a table, a black and white mod of the same table, and an amazing Skitso mod of the same table.  Ideally there would be one wheel image that represents the "group."  For those familiar with the Plex Media Server, I see it behaving similar to movie "Collections." It would be a single wheel image whenever navigating popper and you would drill in to see your various versions. With this approach, it could be flexible enough for other use cases like having multiple table versions or if you have the same table across emulators (i.e. F-14 Tomcat VPX and F-14 Tomcat FP PinEvent).

2. An official method for extract game hi-scores and customizing how they are displayed while browsing popper. With most media recordings (DMD or backglass), those scores are a snapshot in time and don;t represent the current top X scores. It would be amazing to see the current leaderboard before you launch the game.  Perhaps it is a wheel option similar to record displays, game info, and game help.  I know there is/was something similar that folks were working on, but having something be formally integrated would be amazing.

3. Some improvements to the Game Info screen:
    • I would love to have more dedicated fields that could be used on this screen such as  game description, number of machines produced, lead artist, lead programmer etc.  I do use some of the custom fields for these, but there are only a few and they are so often used for more front-end functions.
    • Even though you can change the font and colors, I find it difficult finding ways to make reading that much info legible. I would love to have the ability to create a custom bg image that could sit behind the text (but on top of the playfield recording) to make all that info more legible and visually appealing.   We are trying to preserve their gameplay, so why not preserve some other elements of their history too and make that feature more useful.  It would be cool to see my pincab as my own personal pinball museum so to speak so you could maybe choose to have this screen be a part of attract mode as well :)

4. Consider adding more custom scripts to popper operator menu by default. For example, in one of your YouTube videos, you mentioned that someone created an audio normalization script so that all your audio could automatically be leveled.  I actually would love to track that down :).   I'm sure there are a bunch of other useful utility scripts that have been created whose creators would be honored to have them included in the default popper setup.

5. For the Record Displays section on the front-end, have the system remove any displays that you don't have.  For example, if I do not have a FullDMD then the "Record FullDMD" wheel should not be an option.

That's it...hopefully you will be able to see these and it's not too late.

Thanks again for helping to take this hobby to the next level!

On 12/23/2021 at 7:54 PM, pritch33 said:

Do you mean playlists? I was able to create 3 just added playlists, 1 is using SQL to import 20 games the other 2 lists I added a different game in each for testing. All 3 just added playlists display when I'm scrolling. 1  playlist is under VPX and 2 are in my home menu. Sorry if I am misunderstanding your comments. 

Holidays distracted me for a bit, sorry for so long for a response.  You can do that, but you can't name them the same thing.  At least, I can't.  If I do, one of them just doesn't save and disappears.

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Necromancyr said:

Holidays distracted me for a bit, sorry for so long for a response.  You can do that, but you can't name them the same thing.  At least, I can't.  If I do, one of them just doesn't save and disappears.

I dont remember what I done and will need to test again but from my reply I seem to have done so or maybe Im misunderstanding your question? I will try again. Is there a reason for wanting more than 1 just added playlist anyway? Not sure if it would make any difference but are you on the the latest version of popper. Can you run animated wheels?

Add additional option to the Attract Mode tab:

"Sleep Mode Timeout (0 = disabled)".

This would allow you to put the cabinet to a black screen and set volume to 0 after a certain time of non use.   So Attract mode would still start first, but after attract mode had been active for so long then sleep mode would activate, if enabled.

When you return the the cabinet, a button or key press would wake the system up from sleep mode.

19 hours ago, pritch33 said:

I dont remember what I done and will need to test again but from my reply I seem to have done so or maybe Im misunderstanding your question? I will try again. Is there a reason for wanting more than 1 just added playlist anyway? Not sure if it would make any difference but are you on the the latest version of popper. Can you run animated wheels?

I'm on latest (can do animated wheels).

And the specific issue is you can't do this:

• VPX
    • Years
    • EM Tables
      • Years
  • FuturePinball
    • Years

The Years 'nodes' overlap each other and don't display/save correctly. They seem to be in the database file, but they don't show in the Gamelist/Playlist editor and in the interface.  This is just an example where you might want to have "Years" in 3 places, but even just having 2 named the same doesn't work.

• Content Provider
26 minutes ago, Necromancyr said:

I'm on latest (can do animated wheels).

And the specific issue is you can't do this:

• VPX
    • Years
    • EM Tables
      • Years
  • FuturePinball
    • Years

The Years 'nodes' overlap each other and don't display/save correctly. They seem to be in the database file, but they don't show in the Gamelist/Playlist editor and in the interface.  This is just an example where you might want to have "Years" in 3 places, but even just having 2 named the same doesn't work.

Ok thats a little different than what I tried. Have you tried editing the names a little.  Years (VPX) ,  Years (FP) so they have a slightly different name 

On 2/19/2022 at 3:54 PM, pritch33 said:

Ok thats a little different than what I tried. Have you tried editing the names a little.  Years (VPX) ,  Years (FP) so they have a slightly different name 

Theoretically that should work, however its more of a skirt around a possible bug vs. addressing the core issue.  My guess is things are keying off names vs. the node numbers, which is most likely not intended (I'm assuming?).

Would be great to have the ability to set a global volume % for audiolaunch.  Can currently do this with music, loading, etc. I keep thaoe low so I currently have to convert every AudioLaunch file to 50% decrease otherwise it is very loud.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see a few more emulators already setup in Popper such as Teknoparrot, MAME, SNES, etc. this might encourage a few other users to use popper who arent pinball players.  Its a great front end and its a shame more people arent using it.

• 3 weeks later...

I love Pinup Popper and its active SQL playlists. I have several dozen playlists - all of them are active playlists. This makes playlist maintenance almost non-existent; everything just works whether adding, updating, or removing tables - no modification to playlists.

I have tried to figure out how to make a new playlist that would be very similar to the Global Favorites and it might be called "To Play". This could be used if prepping for visitors by selecting some suggested tables for play, possibly for competition. It could also be used to just tag games that I want to play today, or in the near future. When you have hundreds of tables, some get neglected or forgotten. I have a "Random Table" list, but that changes every time you select it.

I could make this happen by going into the game manager or SQL database and flag tables that I want in this list and have an active playlist that selects tables based on this flag. This is clumsy and difficult to maintain.  It would be great to be able to use the Popper front-end to walk through tables and use a menu button to add/remove a table to/from the "To Play" list, in the same manner as the current "Add to Global Favorites" works, but maintaining a new, similar list. As tables in the "To Play" list are played, they could be easily removed from the list using a menu button (as "Remove from Global Favorites") to remove it. All this could be done from Popper without needing to exit to Windows and manually update the settings.

It would also be nice if the text/name for this list were configurable so you could call it "To Play", Today's Games", "Party Games", etc.

• 4 weeks later...

It would be nice if you could select from the system options that PinVol offers inside of the Operator Menu, getting rid  the need to use shifted buttons to access some of the features of PinVol to make changes to tables on the fly without adding any extra buttons  or button configs to the cab.

• 3 months later...

I think it would be fantastic to have some admin level access in the front end for configuration.  It could be as simple as to mark a table as visible/hidden.  Being able to cycle through the playlists quickly with the buttons, test a table, great it works perfect mark as visible.  Oh wait this one is missing the rom or I have an issue with a pup pack, mark as hidden or to be tested...something.

It can be a bit cumbersome switching back and forth with controller/keyboard or with the screen rotated so having some basic access in the front end would be killer. 

Which gives me another idea too which might be easier to accomplish perhaps having a rotation option in the actual popper config so that the config windows themselves might be rotated 270 degrees.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 11:06 AM, Nikodemus said:

This is already possible. Set the exit to 3 button presses. The first will pause, the second returns to play. After playing for a short while you can pause again with an exit press. My tables only exit on the 3rd consecutive press of the exit table button. Enjoy!

Very cool!

Where can we configure that? I may have missed something in Popper Setup.

Thanks

When you click the popper icon, it first checks to see if  "joy to key" is running in the back round.    If not, have popper run it, then it can finish loading itself.   If Joy To Key is running, then popper can just load itself.   I can not tell you how many times i have had to quit popper, then run joy to key and then run popper a 2d time, this time having run joy to key first.   Also, Nailbuster  I wanted to say THANK YOU for the amazing software.     PinUP Popper is FANTASTIC,!!!

Edited by George1701

15 minutes ago, George1701 said:

When you click the popper icon, it first checks to see if  "joy to key" is running in the back round.    If not, have popper run it, then it can finish loading itself.   If Joy To Key is running, then popper can just load itself.   I can not tell you how many times i have had to quit popper, then run joy to key and then run popper a 2d time, this time having run joy to key first.   Also, Nailbuster  I wanted to say THANK YOU for the amazing software.     PinUP Popper is FANTASTIC,!!!

Joytokey.exe is in my start folder, runs when windows starts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 7:54 PM, pritch33 said:

you can do that already. I dont use the back button. You may need to configure your buttons in popper different 

In popper buttons setup under global configuration set the home button to one of your buttons, I have it mapped to H. This brings me to the startup home menu no matter what playlist I'm in, where as the back button only takes me back one layer at a time. 

I hope that made sense lol i could show you how to do most of this stuff I just don't remember exactly what things are called when I post away from my machine lol

I wish there was a way to add media to the servers or wherever it's being hosted. Lots of times when original tables come out, or even updates there is no correct information to import for that specific version of the table. So we usually pick the closest one and then make all the changes. However, someone like me, with OCD, tries to fill out every single box in game manager, with all the proper tags, allowing someone to easily create playlists,  by date, themes, brand , authors etc because some of us have filled out all the information. 

I think that's the worst part. The media for tables you can just copy and paste into your pupmedis folders. But the specific table info you almost always have to fill out everything because the imported information is wrong or outdated. 

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, jtravapd said:

I wish there was a way to add media to the servers or wherever it's being hosted. Lots of times when original tables come out, or even updates there is no correct information to import for that specific version of the table. So we usually pick the closest one and then make all the changes. However, someone like me, with OCD, tries to fill out every single box in game manager, with all the proper tags, allowing someone to easily create playlists,  by date, themes, brand , authors etc because some of us have filled out all the information. 

I think that's the worst part. The media for tables you can just copy and paste into your pupmedis folders. But the specific table info you almost always have to fill out everything because the imported information is wrong or outdated. 

You need to remember that everything is from people who give up there time for all this. People come people go there  way.  personal hassles within there lifes so things fall behind. Being OCD doesnt help LOL. Just be gratfull for what we have is my way of thinking. Also its getting difficult to keep track of things as so many  reskin/mods/

original releases who can keep up.

• 3 months later...

@nailbuster

Suggestion:  Common template to allow PuP to auto populate table media manager fields/config.

1. each table has a separate folder; 1 table per folder containing all related files (images, video, audio, scripts, ROM, etc)
    1. Benefits = quickly know what tables you have by simply looking at the folder list, update tables quickly/easily, simple to add/remove/cleanup content, etc
  2. simple uniform naming convention. each option in PuP is numbered (playfield loading image, backglass video, etc). Then we simply add a prefix of the # to the file and PuP autoloads that file for the associated field
    1. example file name... 001_AddamsFamG5K.mp4
    2. Benefits  =  quick adds/changes/etc to what is pulled in for each table. By default this method will numerically order the files in the folder, this a user can quickly see what files are assigned, or which (#s) are missing. It still allows you to have as many other files in the folder for later use, backup, etc without cluttering any other folder, still keeps everything for that table together, and requires 100x less cleanup if you decide to remove stuff.

These features do not require a change of the original name of the files - other than adding the prefix so its still easily recognizable and easily searched on by name if needed.

The above two items allow for creation of 'Media Packs' and in general 100x easier configuration

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 10:06 AM, Nikodemus said:

This is already possible. Set the exit to 3 button presses. The first will pause, the second returns to play. After playing for a short while you can pause again with an exit press. My tables only exit on the 3rd consecutive press of the exit table button. Enjoy!

@Nikodemus Can you elaborate on this? I have my EmuExitCount set to 3, but nothing happens on the first 2 presses of this button when playing a VPX table. Do you have that button mapped to another function at the same time that could be initiating the pause functionality?

(Sorry for reviving an old topic in a thread that's not even a support thread, just didn't know how else to address this with context)