PinUP Popper FrontEnd Feature 'Suggestions'

NailBuster

Hey guys.  Wanted to have a thread where you suggest some features you'd think would help many people out on a day-to-day basis.

Feel free to suggest anything... just avoid suggesting these items as it won't happen due to many reasons that are off-topic in this thread:

"Popper should auto-download tables/roms/media/packs/updates"  no.  dont suggest it as its against community 'etiquette'.. no need to discuss. 

"I have a special do-hickey attachment on my cab that nobody else would need this feature...".... one-off items that 0.1% of people need/use make no sense to put in a lot of effort into.

"make it faster and stable"...those are just 'general-high-level' stuff that is obvious.  Popper is very fast and very stable for most folks...

"make vpx not put my playfield on my DMD monitor".... emulators have issues vpx/zen/etc... those issues need to be fixed in the emulator not the frontend.  As soon as any frontend tries to correct emulators it goes down a slipper slope of worrying about versions/updates to emulators...that stuff is best kept on the emulator side.

"use GPU/latest version of vlc/another video driver"... easier said than done, we've had many gurus testing and countless hours have gone into finding the best/stable/media compatible versions and methods.  We're more than a bunch of 'hack' techies with pretty faces ;)

"make popper frontend a better jukebox"... nope...Popper is a front-end,  Popper does support some minimal jukebox features but will not add any more as there are 'real' jukebox apps like kodi etc that you can setup/launch from Popper.

"xxx doesn't work"... this is not a support thread, start a diff topic. 

Some things that are planned already :

some extra alt-controller keys:   like:  alt-game-start, alt-exit-emu..etc.  (like if you want your plunger to start a game...as well as start key...etc)

ambient-music-tracks while browsing.  already can do with some 'tweaking'...but make it more easier to add/change...etc.

Notes and Logs:  In game manager just a memo/notes field for you to add what you'd like.  A log notes memo that will show events like "2021 12 03 23:23 Updated file filename "Matrix (original 2021) v0.13 .vpx"

option on emulator to auto-scan on pinup-config startup.  if detects new vpx tables it will be auto-listed when you go to add-new-table tab in games manager.  (not auto add to db as thats problematic in realworld)

multiple-game deletion (hesitant but will allow some sort of ctrl-click multi game deletion).

Feel free to suggest and discuss new ideas here:  Just consider...my philosophy is not to try and get you 500 tables up and running in a day on your cab.  There's a good reason to enjoy each release and tweak each table/game/media/POV to appreciate it.  No need to disagree with the philosophy, as nobody is trying to sell you anything here...this is all hobby/free software solutions.

happy plunging,,,,

note:  I wont be responding to suggestions or commenting yes/no/maybe/great/meh/future/etc....just nice to have one thread/discussion that can be referenced. 

This might seem kind of lazy, but a quick duplicate button for media. So when a table has a significant update from another author, or a mod...but will use the same media...hit a button, it looks for a similar title in the DB and then dupes the media to match the new table. Example: We had Theater of Magic for years and it was fantastic, then the Sound Mod was released. Instead of downloading or copying over individual media (BG vid, Topper, wheel, etc). Hit a button, and presto. I know this is kinda how the media packs thing is supposed to work. Right now I just explore to the folder and drag the old media into the media manager for the new table, not a big deal...but I can wish for nice things right?

The only thing I can think of is that I always grab the table image, DMD image etc from the internet within PinUp (which is amazing by the way)…Would it be possible (for all I know it may already be so) to “copy/paste” the associated pre table set with a newer version of the old table. As to say I grab version 1.0 of a table….download all the images and movies….the creator fixed a bug and uploaded a version 1.1 a few hours later…instead of needing to download all the visuals again from scratch, be able to associate all the images from 1.0 to 1.1. Something like copying the directory information from 1.0, so I can paste it back and be correspondent with 1.1. 

No biggie. First world problems, just something I thought of awhile back.

Appreciate everything you do. 

EDIT. OK Then…I do believe the poster above is pointing at the same thing. Great minds sneakily1….great minds. That’s funny we were typing the same idea at the same time

I don't know how difficult this would be , my guess would be just need the help of the people who are updating the programs, but it would be nice that when you run popper setup, it automatically will check to see if any of your programs has a update available.  

Right now , it feels to me, who is new to this , like everything is all over the place.  I have to go through different forums and read through posts to see if there is a new version of (name any add on or plugin).  It would be great to login to setup (NOT the actual front end), just the setup, you can click check for updates, and maybe have a list of future pinball, BAM, VPX, Vpinmame, all the different dmd software.  

By doing this there would be probably half the amount of people posting for help about why they can't get a feature to work on their table (ME especially lol) because everything will be uptodate, so anyone trying to help someon out, or even people building their own tables etc., will know exactly what everyone should be using, so they dont have to answer a million help questions when they release a brand new table. 

I say it , like its easy, which none of this stuff is, but it is already kind of listed in different places anyway on nailbusters , so maybe authors of program updates can agree to all update to one speciifc place that then will update that program.  then the next time a user clicks on check for updates, we would get a response that those files need to be updated. 

Thanks for allowing us to request features!

1) Action logfile.  Basically a rolling logfile that grows indefinitely.  Should be able to track what you have done  examples:

12/1/2021: Added Elvis 1.2 table

12/1/2021: Updated Escape from monkey island vpx

12/2/2021: Updated Batman 66 wheel image

12/3/2021: Deleted Dream Daddy table

12/4/2021: Updated pinup config screen settings

12/4/2021: Updated pinup config pup pack settings

12/5/2021: Added Best Tables playlist

12/5/2021: Added Batman 66 to Berst Tables playlist

That would allow you to go see what you have been doing in the case of problems.  It would also allow you to revert to a backup image from 2 weeks ago but see what you need to do in order to bring it back up to speed

2) Be able to sort game manager by Date updated (rather than just name or date added)  There is probably already a way but if not, a way to make a playlist of Recently updated

This would allow you to see the tables that you have modified / updated in latest order

3) Some sort of logfile for pinupdisplay crashes.  Maybe a way to auto-recover if pinupdisplay does crash by starting it up again or if needed, auto restart popper.  Pinup display has a bad habit of blanking out backglass and dmd and playfield after certain tables or just running in preview screen saver mode for many hours.

4) The popper startup script option to autoexit a table does exit the table after so many seconds but then the screens are all black like pinupdisplay has been exited too.  Would love to have that working as described

1 hour ago, jtravapd said:

I don't know how difficult this would be , my guess would be just need the help of the people who are updating the programs, but it would be nice that when you run popper setup, it automatically will check to see if any of your programs has a update available.  

Right now , it feels to me, who is new to this , like everything is all over the place.  I have to go through different forums and read through posts to see if there is a new version of (name any add on or plugin).  It would be great to login to setup (NOT the actual front end), just the setup, you can click check for updates, and maybe have a list of future pinball, BAM, VPX, Vpinmame, all the different dmd software.  

By doing this there would be probably half the amount of people posting for help about why they can't get a feature to work on their table (ME especially lol) because everything will be uptodate, so anyone trying to help someon out, or even people building their own tables etc., will know exactly what everyone should be using, so they dont have to answer a million help questions when they release a brand new table. 

I say it , like its easy, which none of this stuff is, but it is already kind of listed in different places anyway on nailbusters , so maybe authors of program updates can agree to all update to one speciifc place that then will update that program.  then the next time a user clicks on check for updates, we would get a response that those files need to be updated. 

If I may. A simple mailer might be kinda awesome. NailBuster is always on the move. I wouldn’t mind an update letter, even news. 

• Content Provider
43 minutes ago, Rickmc said:

2) Be able to sort game manager by Date updated (rather than just name or date added)  There is probably already a way but if not, a way to make a playlist of Recently updated

This would allow you to see the tables that you have modified / updated in latest order

Not sure but I think you can create a playlist  for updated games using an SQL search. I'm sure David has a playlist on his cab?

I’m thinking back over my past 18 months wondering what could have allowed me to play tables more than trying to set everything up. Well, here goes.

1) Media added automatically. Yes, it’s fun having to change the letters of the game you are searching media for and then previewing but after 10 times of doing it’s not really adding value to your experience. Have default media to start with.

2) PupPacks took me the longest to understand because there are so many permutations to learn. Like the media being added could the pup packs be easier to match and load to your setup?

3) Table versions. I’m still not with this fully but there could be an easier way to import the information. If I use the import it’s not always clear to me which one is the latest.

4) The pickup lists for your drop down options for fields in Games Manager. I’m sure everyone who’s setup lists for fields has pretty much used the same words. For instance, Manufacturers. There are several obvious ones that could be added as part of the initial setup.

5) Like 4 above most of us end up with the same types of playlists. Perhaps the next update could turn up with playlists automatically setup and included but you have to select snd turn on to activate?

There’s a few to discuss. Hope they help. Beating in mind I only entered this hobby and started playing pinball 18 months ago.

1) Just to build on a bit from a few suggestions... would be to add more sortable columns in the game manager. I've noticed previously a need to sort by table year (date) for convenience, but can also see a reasons to sort by manufacturer or file name and possibly others. To make it better, add the ability to enable/disable specific columns in options.

2) Add an ability to scan for missing media of all tables in the media manager... and when it's done, highlight the tables with missing media that needs attention. Also could add the option to cross reference all missing media, with available media in the database only. A lot of times I add a newly listed table, there typically isn't much media available at that time. I would also like the process to have you check a box for which media to scan for, or "all".

• Content Provider

1. In Media Manager, a Quick View button which will display/preview all the media you’ve added to the table on all the screens as a preview without the need to exit Media Manager and launch into Popper directly.

2. in Media Manager, the ability to launch the “keep displays on/off dialog” for which displays to leave on.  Same dialog as in Games Manager, but allows you to stay in Media Manager and adjust as needed based on the media you add since that setting is relevant to media.

3. In Media Manager, the ability to tag the screens for autorecord.  I figure that if we are in the media manager and decide we want to record the displays that it would be ideal to stay in the media manager and tag the screens we want to record.  Like when using find missing, it would be great to be able to mark it for auto record

4. in Games Manager the ability to launch a given table.  This would be useful to use when searching for tables and for testing tables when updating.

Nailbuster

Thank you for the great pinup player/popper software. It really sharpens the whole dynamic of VP cabinet. My suggestion for an update to pinup popper would be, while going thru looking for a game to play, if i am in a playlist i created i would like to be able to hit my exit button and have it take me back one step. Example if i am in my future pinball playlist i would like to hit exit and go back to my main wheel of all playlists. I think right now i have to find the back button and select that. Thank you. Have a great day 

• Content Provider
41 minutes ago, JoeMars said:

Nailbuster

Thank you for the great pinup player/popper software. It really sharpens the whole dynamic of VP cabinet. My suggestion for an update to pinup popper would be, while going thru looking for a game to play, if i am in a playlist i created i would like to be able to hit my exit button and have it take me back one step. Example if i am in my future pinball playlist i would like to hit exit and go back to my main wheel of all playlists. I think right now i have to find the back button and select that. Thank you. Have a great day 

you can do that already. I dont use the back button. You may need to configure your buttons in popper different 

Fairly new to popper using it with a modified legends pinball but have really dug in expanding my table and mame collection. The wiki is so helpful in exploring the many options and capabilities. Popper is simply awesome so thank you for all the hard work that went into the development. I love the active SQL playlists that dynamically update if you set the table information correctly. Two items I have had trouble with and I'm guessing they require enhancements.

1. Digital joystick/d-pad support for browsing. I have an arcade control panel where the joystick is not analog so it doesn't work even after enabling the joystick function.

2. Media manager for playlists in network mode. It only seems to save media for tables. Nothing ever saves when editing playlists unless I do it directly in the cabinet.

I’m thinking about competitive pinball here. Often you hear people complaining that there are too many parameters in VPX which can be changed to the player’s advantage and it’s hard to prove a score is legit.

Maybe there could be a way like in WolfMAME for MAME where Pinup could record a file that captures the settings used in VPX? Added to this could be an option to record gameplay.

I think that would help promote competitive play and make Popper the go to frontend for all Pinball players. A unique selling point albeit you aren’t selling Popper (thankfully).

PS - Thank you for this awesome frontend and all of the effort you put into. I always watch your twitch stream but am normally asleep here in the UK when it’s live (3am)!

Edited by DtM2000

11 hours ago, PanteraZombie said:

1) Just to build on a bit from a few suggestions... would be to add more sortable columns in the game manager. I've noticed previously a need to sort by table year (date) for convenience, but can also see a reasons to sort by manufacturer or file name and possibly others. To make it better, add the ability to enable/disable specific columns in options.

2) Add an ability to scan for missing media of all tables in the media manager... and when it's done, highlight the tables with missing media that needs attention. Also could add the option to cross reference all missing media, with available media in the database only. A lot of times I add a newly listed table, there typically isn't much media available at that time. I would also like the process to have you check a box for which media to scan for, or "all".

Reference your second point, you’re thinking some sort of scraper? I think there should be a default media for each table and then if you wanted the option to choose bespoke you can search and add your own.

I’m unsure on server costs but having default may reduce the cost of hosting.

a way to record once you're IN the game. i know you can do it individually from popper, but once you're in the game it'd be nice to record whatever screens you want all at once instead of just 1 at a time. so maybe, just add option to record multiple screens? ie BG, PF and full DMD

20 hours ago, sneakily1 said:

This might seem kind of lazy, but a quick duplicate button for media. So when a table has a significant update from another author, or a mod...but will use the same media...hit a button, it looks for a similar title in the DB and then dupes the media to match the new table. Example: We had Theater of Magic for years and it was fantastic, then the Sound Mod was released. Instead of downloading or copying over individual media (BG vid, Topper, wheel, etc). Hit a button, and presto. I know this is kinda how the media packs thing is supposed to work. Right now I just explore to the folder and drag the old media into the media manager for the new table, not a big deal...but I can wish for nice things right?

or you just click what table you want to 'mirror' when asked

21 hours ago, Darkstar said:

If I may. A simple mailer might be kinda awesome. NailBuster is always on the move. I wouldn’t mind an update letter, even news. 

that would be good, but then nailbusters literally has to do all the checking for updates for everything (like we have to do now), and then send out a email.  A automated , common check for updates button in the software would only mean that developer has to upload his new version to the server which then would show itself when anyone not on that build , checks for updates. 

I like the email idea, if it was like a whats going on in vitrual pinball type of thing, like must have tables of the week, New tables coming out in the future . that def would be cool. 

53 minutes ago, jtravapd said:

that would be good, but then nailbusters literally has to do all the checking for updates for everything (like we have to do now), and then send out a email.  A automated , common check for updates button in the software would only mean that developer has to upload his new version to the server which then would show itself when anyone not on that build , checks for updates. 

I like the email idea, if it was like a whats going on in vitrual pinball type of thing, like must have tables of the week, New tables coming out in the future . that def would be cool. 

Or you guys could just watch his Twitch stream and VOD on Youtube in case you miss the stream. That's pretty much what he already does. https://www.twitch.tv/nailbusterr

5 hours ago, fiftythreefly said:

a way to record once you're IN the game. i know you can do it individually from popper, but once you're in the game it'd be nice to record whatever screens you want all at once instead of just 1 at a time. so maybe, just add option to record multiple screens? ie BG, PF and full DMD

**Update**

I only read part of the author's post. He was wanting a feature to record all screens at once while in game, not just the option to record while in game. My bad.