Other Frontends Than Hyperpin

wowter

I know this site is closely affiliated/intertwined with Hyperpin, but there are alternatives out there.

Pinselect is a great open source alternative, created by Fuzzel, because he could not get Hyperpin to work smoothly on his machine. It is small, fast, and does not hog resources. It does not (yet) look as pretty as Hyperpin though. But its open source, and that is always a good thing to support.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pinselect/

I have not yet checked out PinballX, but it looks nice also:

http://pinballx.spesoft.com/

This sites forum does not have a "frontends"  section, but the rather limiting "hyperpin" section. It would be nice to be more open minded. But its your call ofcourse.

Change is good, progress is good, friendly competition is good. So all in all: good times ahead.

Has anyone tried pinballx?

I have tried Pinselect, which is great and gives me about  +5% FPS (the same as not using a frontend). Hyperpin is doing something magical on my system however: the constant small strain on the CPU is apparantly keeping cores from going to sleep, so this ineffeciency actually prevents microstutter on my system.........needless to say, im am currently using mainly HP.

I hadn't actually heard about PinballX before so have just followed the link and had a look at it. Seems to be a clone of HyperPin by all accounts. At least Tom has the decency to credit Bill for creating the original. My previous comment about loyalty notwithstanding, I might just give this a try while waiting for HP2...

Well thanks for the links, I tried PinballX and it's really great, fast and everything, support hyperpin files. Also Tom is really quick adding asked features, I asked to have specific table music and paused ambiance music and he added that in a couple of hours. If HP2 will be as smooth as PX, it's going to be a hard choice :)

• 5 weeks later...

Going to give PinballX a try today, I just switched my cabinet from WinXP 32 to Win7 64 and FPLaunch Wip9/10 have all sorts of performance problems that make the current version of HyperPin unattractive under Windows 7. I'm sure most of these issues are GFX driver related, but changing drivers isn't really an option for those of us who intend to run Nvidia chipsets under Win7 inside a cabinet with multiple screens. I'm hoping that HyperPin 2 sorts these FPLaunch issues out directly or indirectly in some fashion as I truly love HyperPin!

• 1 month later...

I tried PinballX this weekend and liked it enough to configure all my tables on it. I loved HyperPin but I'm also on Win 7 and when I started using FPLaunch WIP 10 I had lots of issues. I didn't even know a HyperPin 2 was coming out. I liked the built in game manager in PinballX. I actually discovered the program because I was so frustrated u was about to write my own app to organize everything and found that program when looking for something to organize my files.

Archived