What happened to the community

Karmeck

So, I have discovered since I began poking around with virtual Pinball that, there's a conflict. 

Tabels being uploaded to one place and not the other, censorship and people starlight upp hating each other. 

Why is this? What happened? And why are there more then one site for this. 

I read somewhere about the admin over at vpf rambling about how he saved rehab community.

Then we have the hot topic Bigus. Why is non of his mods posted here? 

That has something to do with the permission to mod, a topic where the community opinion seem to differ greatly. 

I envision that this can confuse newcomers, myself include. 

So where did it all go wrong.

I don't seek to create drama. I find a value in discussing and reflecting on why things are, and if they need to be. 

There's been multiple sites for years, although it's slowly contracted as sites have closed, although some who won't go to the remaining sites are now purely on Facebook with their stuff.

Noah over at VPF always rants a bit about how, because his site is the earliest and effectively was it when the community achieved critical mass, that everyone should be over there, basically demanded fealty. He used to have filters set up to prevent people from mentioning any of the other sites, but I gather he finally figured out it was counterproductive. Plus, he still maintains the filter on Pin2DMD never being allowed to be mentioned because he says he has sufficient evidence that Lucky was involved in theft of IP and doesn't deserve a place, yet it also helps VPU because if you want to colorize your DMD in VP, this is the only place that color is posted because it relies on some of the software Lucky developed. That he sells a commercial DMD solution over there makes it all look much more suspect.

For Bigus, he put up an initial fight about crediting, claiming that he'd forgotten who'd made the tables, and then he was asking for help figuring out who and what from others rather than suck it up himself... Both vpinball and here cleaned out his tables in response. I suspect Noah lets him continue because it makes his site look better (more active in terms of posted tables) and brings tables back that had been yanked by others (Noah is BIG on trying to enforce a no-deletion policy unless there's actual legal entanglements). There's a few creators that won't give Bigus the time of day because of the way he started and tried to dig his heels in.

2 hours ago, LynnInDenver said:

There's been multiple sites for years, although it's slowly contracted as sites have closed, although some who won't go to the remaining sites are now purely on Facebook with their stuff.

Noah over at VPF always rants a bit about how, because his site is the earliest and effectively was it when the community achieved critical mass, that everyone should be over there, basically demanded fealty. He used to have filters set up to prevent people from mentioning any of the other sites, but I gather he finally figured out it was counterproductive. Plus, he still maintains the filter on Pin2DMD never being allowed to be mentioned because he says he has sufficient evidence that Lucky was involved in theft of IP and doesn't deserve a place, yet it also helps VPU because if you want to colorize your DMD in VP, this is the only place that color is posted because it relies on some of the software Lucky developed. That he sells a commercial DMD solution over there makes it all look much more suspect.

For Bigus, he put up an initial fight about crediting, claiming that he'd forgotten who'd made the tables, and then he was asking for help figuring out who and what from others rather than suck it up himself... Both vpinball and here cleaned out his tables in response. I suspect Noah lets him continue because it makes his site look better (more active in terms of posted tables) and brings tables back that had been yanked by others (Noah is BIG on trying to enforce a no-deletion policy unless there's actual legal entanglements). There's a few creators that won't give Bigus the time of day because of the way he started and tried to dig his heels in.

Thank you, just the kinda answer I was looking for. 

On 9/1/2021 at 7:57 AM, LynnInDenver said:

this is all so sad.  like me i was kicked out of the discord. cause i offered to share one of my mods.  and mine have way more work intothem than 90 percent of the releases.  allot of guys i see mod someones shit then put (no permission to mod)  its become more about likes than love and art..  when i release mine ill probably be boycotted too.  funny they keep boycotting all the great modders and authors, while the good old boys pump out loads of crap. like  half the new  color dmds  out there that blow compared to the ones ive had for years now.  they claim rights over "hours involved"  sad really.  there are 20 versions of almost ever table out there cause we all put our stink on them over the years.  yet half of these (modders) def not artists, steal then claim ownership so they can get their likes and beers.  well got news for everyone.  time is ticking.  and i have hundreds of hours into every table in my machine.  and my mods are cleaner and upgraded beyond what some can even see as art.  they are upped physics and new scripts, dmd, sounds, and many other upgrades like custom balls and side art added to most.  plus new view point and lighting that is way more constant across the tables.  and then modded puppacks with new art and videos to all of them,  plus my custom skins.  so if people stopped whining id upload them. along with my hand drawn custom toppers and art.  i will release them.  and i have had permission fro years from most as ive been in the community for almost 8+ years now giving my art.  but now i dont have a way to hunt all down.  so i dont share.  but its the comminuties loss really.  ask may about my mods.  they are top notch and redone to match B2s, pup and playfield to feel like same machine.  as I'm picky and put many hours into every table i get.

we will see.....

like the rest of the world. we need to boycott the whinners and plagiarists! calling themselves creators!  not the creators!

my oppinion.  some here that control the most these days, have done nothing my steal and call it creation!.  Just saying

Edited by tatt

Same old same old.

I've never been kicked-off any site.

I've never published here.

I had half a dozen tables published at vpinball, including the very last table ever published there - my mod of Centaur. Remember now?

I never asked anyone for direct help with credits, but I did suggest that maybe someone with the know-how (or "smarty pants" in my lingo) could contribute to the hobby by making a database (spreadsheet) of authors and tables. Well someone did and now it's all that's left. Terrible idea, eh?   Lazy, lazy, lazy me.

I suspect Noah supports me because I'm reversing the flow of pilfered content, and if it irritates those responsible, it's just sauce for the goose.

And although it wasn't mentioned this round, if all I wanted was to put my name on every table, then why the hell would I bother doing updates?

I did 4 major updates in August alone. Plus 8 new releases. The vast majority of my mods have had multiple updates, and not just to inflate my downloads.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.