Im going backwards... digital to analog

mlager8

After 2 years of this digital pin journey I scored my first real pin!

It's a 1976 Chicago Coin Jukebox, never worked on a real pin let alone a 4 player EM but I'm excited to get my hands dirty.

Weird thing is I had never even heard of this machine until maybe a month ago when @ARMYAVIATION sent me a pic and blueprint off ipdb suggesting we should build it. 3 weeks later one came up for sale literally 5 mins from my house really cheap.

3 weeks from complete obliviousness to sitting in my garage.

Anyway I have a good amount to work to do to get it running properly, anyone here have or worked on a late 70's Chicago coin before?

Here it is in all its glory...

20210624_213659.jpg

18 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

Nothing beats the real thing. 👍

Have never been a huge fan of EMs, but seeing how these things work... If you cant appreciate the albsolute maelstrom of mechanical insanity that makes these things run, find another hobby 

EM's are very cool. Noisy in the right way. For me, not easy to come by. There is a club in Oslo that has a few of them, and once the Covid restrictions are over I will revisits those guys. You could say, there are only 3 "large" (for Norway) clubs. Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim. Last one has almost only new games. My favorite bar in Oslo too. But, that club and the Bergen community has a few and I love to play them IF NOT in a competition. There is too much luck involved playing EM's vs SS and more modern machines.

RON is an OG!  Let him call you 'squirrelnuts' if he pleases.  That man has an extensive history (Including owning an 'arcade' company at one point in time.)  A truly humble and wonderful guy.    Listen to the words that come out of his mouth.

That reminds me...I need to get lunch with him!

When I coin up and start, the score motor and 100,000 relay spins constantly and no game starts. If I manually trip the reset relay I can get a game to start. 

As such I'm in the process of removing the broken jamma connectors and soldering 5 - 25 connections per board x 16 scoring reels... So I've got some work cut out for me. 

Also scanned some plastics, but the flatbed scanner is giving me some fuzzy results. Maybe becuase refraction through the plastic shifts things as the scanner arm moves? Might just scan to get right dimensions and photograph later for detail. 

Too funny. Bought my first real pin.  Chicago coin Sound Stage (2 player version of Juke Box).  Got it in January for a steal.  Learned how to read schematics and got it up and running perfect.  Sold it last month for another project.  I’m up to three real pins and counting. Still like my virtual pin though.

once you figure out the schematics you’ll get it going.  It’s a great game to learn on.

• 4 weeks later...