Downloads maintenance - possible database corruption happening.

@WorldofVPinball- Yeah, I had one of my 8 TB drives fail that had my life on it. So I bought 4 8 TB drives, set up two as my main drives, put my stuff on them, then used the other two as RAID Mirror back-ups. Then, I bought a Dropbox Unlimited cloud so I could back up everything on the drives to the cloud...it's taken me over a month to do 4 TB's...but during the migration of data, one of my 8TB drives failed. I was thrilled because the back-up worked...just, now, one of the 8TB drives is unprotected. And I am working day and night to upload it all to the cloud.

It's a major pain. :(

Hey Dazz, glad to hear everything is coming along.  I read that you now have an AWS bucket.  We use Infrascale for all our client backups and is pretty easy to use, backs up daily and has infinite retention is you so choose.  Also very easy to recover from with the client installed on the Server.  Might want to look into that as an  option.  Their pricing is very good too.  Just food for thought.  Great job on everything else, everyone here appreciates all that you do.

Thanks.

• Administrators

Still working on this... I just got a message from the cloud hosts.  For some reason; I'm showing all of the data in my buckets (folders) and I'm able to access it without problems.  The cloud hosts shows that we are missing nearly 800GB of data.  The numbers just are not matching between what I've uploaded, multiple times, and what they show being housed.  It's almost like the data that I'm uploading is going into their system and into my buckets, but they haven't been able to account for it.  If this isn't fixed soon; I'm about to drop some more $$$ and upload the files section again to another cloud provider.

I sure feel for you sir.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that keeping up this site and dealing with all the latest quirks is not your daily job.
So all the time you invest in this is really appreciated.
Thank you!

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Numiah said:

I sure feel for you sir.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that keeping up this site and dealing with all the latest quirks is not your daily job.
So all the time you invest in this is really appreciated.
Thank you!

I actually work 2 jobs right now to help make ends meet... The site is purely hobby.  Lately it feels that I've been working 3 jobs trying to get this problem fixed... 

8 minutes ago, Dazz said:

I actually work 2 jobs right now to help make ends meet... The site is purely hobby.  Lately it feels that I've been working 3 jobs trying to get this problem fixed... 

Ouchsies. 😵
Throwing you beer money isn't going to pay for it either I'm afraid.
Again, thanks heaps you're doing wonderful work!

7 hours ago, Dazz said:

Hey Dazz...I'm paying about $75 a month to Dropbox for unlimited space -- though the config might be a pain. Don't know if that will help but if these guys aren't doing the job for the money paid, I'd drop them like 3rd Period French and go with another provider.

Also, thank you so much for all that you do. I work with a cloud service on a daily basis and I know how much of a pain these providers can be.

• Administrators

BTW - I'm hoping that the cloud hosts have a resolution for me today.  Evidently this is a pretty major bug that I found in their system.  I could easily create/duplicate PBs of data right now and their systems wouldn't have any idea that much storage was being used.  I've tested so far and have been able to clone 21Tb of data, but they still show me with only 600gb.  There should be just a little over 1TB for the main downloads section.  So they aren't seeing 400GB of what should actually be there.  I probably shouldn't have cloned 21TB worth of data, but it was done to prove a point to their engineers.  Now I'm afraid to delete the 21TB as they may charge me for the deletions.  I'm working some things out with them still, so hopefully we aren't too far.

5 hours ago, Dazz said:

BTW - I'm hoping that the cloud hosts have a resolution for me today.  Evidently this is a pretty major bug that I found in their system.  I could easily create/duplicate PBs of data right now and their systems wouldn't have any idea that much storage was being used.  I've tested so far and have been able to clone 21Tb of data, but they still show me with only 600gb.  There should be just a little over 1TB for the main downloads section.  So they aren't seeing 400GB of what should actually be there.  I probably shouldn't have cloned 21TB worth of data, but it was done to prove a point to their engineers.  Now I'm afraid to delete the 21TB as they may charge me for the deletions.  I'm working some things out with them still, so hopefully we aren't too far.

Maybe you should get some sort of reward for finding out this major error? 

56 minutes ago, PootisSpencer said:

Seriously. At least a few months comped hosting. ESPECIALLY considering how many hours and $$ you've lost because of their bug. 

1 hour ago, PootisSpencer said:

I was gonna say the same. Screw charging you. They should be praising you for exposing that bug and be giving you free service for a year for all the trouble.

Thank you very much for your effort, I am in love with pinball because of your site, I love it so much, I hope that everything is right, that God will bless you and help you fix it soon so that soon we will be in love with pinball so we can enjoy this wonderful site, a great hug from the pinball community brazil, you are the man, thank you thank you thank you