-------------
Line: 115
Variable is undefined: 'InitVpmFFlipsSAM'

Runtime error
-------------
Line: 2924
Variable is undefined: 'Controller'

I'm currently running 10.8.0-775 GL.

Line 115 is your clue. Perhaps you're not running the SAM enabled version of vpinmame. The newest as of today is here;

https://github.com/vpinball/pinmame/suites/11168907122/artifacts/570346431

Always get the version with -sc in the name.

15 minutes ago, Cliffy said:

Line 115 is your clue. Perhaps you're not running the SAM enabled version of vpinmame. The newest as of today is here;

https://github.com/vpinball/pinmame/suites/11168907122/artifacts/570346431

Always get the version with -sc in the name.

I'm getting page not found when using that link. Once found, do I just copy over my existing vpinmame files?

14 minutes ago, Janke23 said:

I'm getting page not found when using that link. Once found, do I just copy over my existing vpinmame files?

Yes BUT with a warning. If you have a custom VPMAlias.txt back that up somewhere first.

As for the link just right click on it and then save link as.... Its not a page, its the actual file. Be sure to right click and unblock once downloaded and then yes just unzip to your vpinmame folder and overwrite

4 minutes ago, Cliffy said:

Yes BUT with a warning. If you have a custom VPMAlias.txt back that up somewhere first.

As for the link just right click on it and then save link as.... Its not a page, its the actual file. Be sure to right click and unblock once downloaded and then yes just unzip to your vpinmame folder and overwrite

Thanks for the tip, i'm going to back up the entire vpinmame folder.

13 minutes ago, Cliffy said:

Well it was worth a shot, but I got the same errors. Maybe it's an issue with the 10.8 Beta GL build. 

Metallica3.JPG

7 minutes ago, Janke23 said:

Thanks for the tip, i'm going to back up the entire vpinmame folder.

Once done go to the vpinmame folder and run setup.exe. Check the version at the top. Make sure the paths are good and if not correct them. Check the default options, make sure they are what you like. You can go ahead and click install, it won't hurt if it already is. Now you can click test and see what happens when you start the rom. 

2 minutes ago, Janke23 said:

Well it was worth a shot, but I got the same errors. Maybe it's an issue with the 10.8 Beta GL build. 

Metallica3.JPG

It could well be. The GL versions are in constant flux as they are beta versions. Make sure to update the scripts folder when grabbing new versions of vpx, whatever version. The scripts often get updated as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My only tiny gripe with this version of the table is that the Magnet on the Electric chair is "weak" 90% of the time it stops the ball and drops is right down to the flipper. On the real machine it zips be ball from side to side and back and forth and flings it randomly.

• 3 months later...

Hi gents, a couple of holes for the ball to disappear into in this table.

First one there is a hole on the right hand side of the apron, while any ball coming down the RHS outlane  misses it if a ball goes down the guts and rolls along the apron and up towards the RHS outlane it disappears, not sure if it is in the apron or the side wall of the RHS outlane.

Second one there is a hole behind the the target where you pickup the fuel bonus, I got there from hitting the second guitar pick from the LHS and the ball jumped to the left behind the target, the first cross target was down so it made it's journey left a litte easier.

Other than that a great table to play, once you figure out the rules.

G

• Content Provider
31 minutes ago, GuruChoc said:

Hi gents, a couple of holes for the ball to disappear into in this table.

First one there is a hole on the right hand side of the apron, while any ball coming down the RHS outlane  misses it if a ball goes down the guts and rolls along the apron and up towards the RHS outlane it disappears, not sure if it is in the apron or the side wall of the RHS outlane.

Second one there is a hole behind the the target where you pickup the fuel bonus, I got there from hitting the second guitar pick from the LHS and the ball jumped to the left behind the target, the first cross target was down so it made it's journey left a litte easier.

Other than that a great table to play, once you figure out the rules.

G

So something like this? Metallica_v1.jpg.8f7bacfb9e21da02e1d5ef9b2d8beb0b.thumb.jpg.f41e154fa8bee6c9d862b69ad5905bff.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2022 at 2:05 PM, Oldschool4 said:

On this site, simple Google search, no such thing as Cant.

SOLVED. I followed a step by step video tutorial to create a colored rom for this table. The youtube tutorial is a few posts further down. Worked like a charm.

This table is asking for mtl_180h. Can you tell me how to find the rom without going to sterns site and going through the whole renaming procedure? That whole process doesn't work for me. I've been at it for a while now. The rom you linked to doesn't work on this table, it works on the Bigus MOD though and at least i have that thanks to you. I searched but didn't put .zip at the end so i didn't get any results when i google searched. I would prefer this table as it sounds much more accurate.

Thank you!!

Edited by GordonJames

• Content Provider

Latest game code is at sternpinball.com. But the back catalog is available here. @Oldschool4 linked to it in your post above. Good enough if you can't figure out renaming and zipping files in Windows Explorer. You will just need to change the table script to use the old version. Find "mtl_180h" in the script and change to "mtl_170h".

On 7/18/2023 at 11:15 AM, CarnyPriest said:

Latest game code is at sternpinball.com. But the back catalog is available here. @Oldschool4 linked to it in your post above. Good enough if you can't figure out renaming and zipping files in Windows Explorer. You will just need to change the table script to use the old version. Find "mtl_180h" in the script and change to "mtl_170h".

I followed the very simple instructions on how to simply create a new rom. It didn't work the first time nor the 5th time i tried it. Simply renaming the rom name in the script worked instantly. Thank you very much for that. Will I be missing any functionality on this VPW table using the 170h rom and not the 180h the table script specified?

Also, is there any way of altering the script to change the brightness/visibility of the ball? I've seen this option in a few tables and it's pretty handy.

Edited by GordonJames

• Content Provider

I don't recall what is different with the code versions. Again, sternpinball.com. Under Support > Game Code, select Metallica from the game pulldown and you can access the readme. It will have the change history by version. 

I can't help on the table itself. I haven't downloaded it... yet.

13 hours ago, GordonJames said:

I followed the very simple instructions on how to simply create a new rom. It didn't work the first time nor the 5th time i tried it. Simply renaming the rom name in the script worked instantly. Thank you very much for that. Will I be missing any functionality on this VPW table using the 170h rom and not the 180h the table script specified?

Also, is there any way of altering the script to change the brightness/visibility of the ball? I've seen this option in a few tables and it's pretty handy.

From sterns MTL180LE-README.txt

************************************************************************** * * * STERN PINBALL, INC. * * (C) COPYRIGHT 2012-2018 STERN PINBALL, INC. * * * ************************************************************************** * * * METALLICA PREMIUM/LE * * * ************************************************************************** HELP US, HELP YOU! If you have any suggestions, questions, need technical advice, find errors or have comments, contact us through our website: http://www.sternpinball.com/contact.shtml or call 1-800-542-5377. You can also email [email protected] to report any software problems. This text file and all other documents relating to this product, playfield components, features, rules, programming and operation are subject to change without notice (Service Bulletins, if applicable, available through our website). V1.80.0 - November 16, 2018 =========================== - Add RED G.I. to coffin hammer strike LED G.I. effect. - Added LED GI effects for mode items, snake multiball ready, and snake multiball start. - Changed EoL start and background LED GI effects. - Added LED GI effect for the super spinners. - Loop post stays DOWN when a shot is made for the super spinners. - Reworked EoL RGB lamps: blinking bright green = super jackpot, solid dark green = scored, blinking medium green = available. - Added lamp effects (background) and LED GI effects (background) for the coffin magnet diverter lock sequence. - Implemented lamp effects and LED GI effects for super spinners. - Added a setting (currently, game-specific adjustment #91) that controls the amount of time the coffin magnet remains down during ball search (default: 5 seconds, range: 2 seconds - 10 seconds). - Ball search coffin/magnet will activate the coffin magnet when the coffin magnet diverter is held down. This may or may not help free balls that may be jammed in the back of the coffin behind the magnet. - Improved the coffin magnet sequence in an effort to minimize balls getting jammed behind the magnet. - Switch compensation for the snake jaw now only done when the snake jaw is UP. - RGB test was not freeing the rgb layer before exiting. This has been corrected. - Added a background lamp effect for the super spinners. - Reworked ball locked lamp effect. - Captive ball extra ball #1 (default for auto setting) lowered to 10 hits (from 15 hits). - Combo champion # of combos lowered to 10 combos (from 20 combos). - Added new marker to The End Of The Line music for better shooter groove. - One (lady justice) mode was not being restarted when a shot was made during the mode. This has been corrected. - Added a "reset timer" adjustment for the One (lady justice) mode. - Added combo lights adjustment. Default is FLASH ONCE (show lamps once for a small period of time, then turn the lights off). Other settings: ALWAYS and NONE. Competition + Director's Cut are set to FLASH ONCE. - Coffin hurry-up now leaves all shots lit to reset the hurry-up score when multiple hurry-ups are available instead of requiring the player to complete them individually before they all re-light. - "The End Of The Line" song is now selectable at the start of the game if the player has made it to "The End Of The Line" (the 5th Crank It Up mode). - Shot features shot lit (the blinking arrow at the start of the ball) will no longer move to a shot that is ready to start the coffin hurry-up, nor will it move to a shot that is associated with a currently running coffin hurry-up. - Super skill shot to light a shot for the coffin hurry-up will now always be on the active shot for lighting items (the blinking arrow at the start of the ball). - Reworked guitar pick target lamps. The unscored lamps now blink only when they are available to light the snake lock (and during Blackened). Otherwise, the unscored lamps are OFF. - Added explosion sounds to the start of the fuel mode. - Changed the sound for completing a pop bumper to something slightly louder. - Reworked song transition markers for "Sad But True" so more of the song can be heard. - Added lamp effects for "The End Of The Line" super jackpot. - Added shaker motor effects to "The End Of The Line". - Shortened the extra ball and replay effects during multiball and "The End Of The Line". - Fixed the timing of the snake bite sound at the start of the long version of the extra ball display effect. - Added more speech for snake lock. - Added snake talk scripts (ADULT CONTENT and BEEPED) for completing the guitar pick targets when doing so lights the snake lock during multiball or during "The End Of The Line". This was implemented, but the scripts were missing from the snake script table. - Updated some HSTD initials. - Crank It Up modes now wait for collect/continue to finish obtaining user input before terminating. This allows the player to "collect" the mode points even though the song (mode) has technically ended. - Changed the Crank It Up default collect/continue relight difficulty from EASY to HARD. This requires the player to re-collect the Cross, Electric Chair, Coffin, and Snake to relight collect/continue during the Crank It Up mode. - Some work on The End of the Line: - Starts as a 2-ball multiball. - The music does not start until the mode start animation has finished playing. - Removed the timer. The mode will continue running during single ball play. - Added mystery award for single ball play. This awards the first available shot from left to right (even if that shot is the super jackpot). - If the mode is played through until the song ends at 7:51, the flippers are turned off and the balls are collected. - The first part of the rule has been changed from all 6 shots lit to light the super jackpot to 1 shot lit to light the first super jackpot, 2 shots lit to light the second super jackpot, etc. up to a maximum of all 6 shots lit to light the sixth super jackpot. If an unlit shot is made during this stage, that shot will light to advance to the next stage (super jackpot). - Removed "failed" super jackpot award display effect and moved it to "ended". (This is the animation of the car not making the jump and crashing at the bottom of the canyon.) - Removed the failed shots from the second stage (super jackpot). There is now only one shot available during this stage (the super jackpot); it moves around randomly. - Removed some audits (super jackpot failed, completed). The mode cannot be completed, it can only be played until the song ends. - Added jackpot speech. - Added super jackpot lit speech. - Added instructions to the start display effect. - Added instructions/status to the background display effect. - Changed the scoring for the super jackpot. The first super jackpot awards the total points scored during the first Crank It Up mode played. The second super jackpot awards the total points scored during the first Crank It Up mode played plus the total points scored during the second Crank It Up mode played, ... etc. - Corrected the mode tune. The full song is now played from the beginning, and it ends in silence. - A ball is added when lighting the super jackpot and for scoring the super jackpot, always. - Added logic to shut down some rules, as this rule is not covered under the normal multiball handling (it can be single ball play)). - Added item collects (Cross, Electric Chair, Coffin, Snake) to light collect/continue. - Added collect/continue so the mode can be ended (it does not end normally when play goes down to single ball). Collect/continue is only available during single ball play. - Snake lock for 2x scoring now allowed. - Reworked the replay effect so it is more efficient. - Shortened the replay effect if the replay is awarded during bonus (as a result of the bonus putting the player over the replay score). - Inhibited the trailing "free game" speech at the end of the replay effect if the replay effect is run immediately after bonus. - Added small explosion sound for completing a pop bumper. - Broke out right eject kick settings into TIME and POWER. This gives better resolution/control over the behavior of the kick. - Added a setting to carry over the fuel lane (piston) awards (lights) from ball to ball. - Changed default cross hits from 2 to 1. - Changed default item requirements for Crank It Up from 15 to 12. - Fixed a bug in the Blackened mode where the super jackpot light would stay lit (blinking) after it was collected and no longer available. - Added a custom sound previewer when changing the MODE COMPLETION SOUND adjustment so the user can preview the sound before having to try it out in the game. - Implemented alternate Crank-It-Up completion sounds. The sound that is played when "completing" a Crank-It-Up mode is controlled by a new game-specific adjustment: "CRANK IT UP COMPL. SOUND". The sound that is played is a new sound that is more appropriate for a Metallica game (less fanfare-y, more metal-y). - Game over effects are now killed when entering test mode. - Fixed a bug in the auto-percentaged extra ball module that would sometimes set the extra ball values (captive ball hits, combos) to an out of range value. - Mystery award text now expedited when the mystery award display effect is blown off. - Flipper blowoff for mystery locks the last frame so the player can see the award. - Score type changed from 32-bit to 64-bit. - Updated to new game versioning scheme. - "The End Of The Line" mode background lamps now higher than BLACKENED lamps. - Fuel mode start was also scoring the first letter of "FUEL" for lighting double scoring during "FUEL". This has been corrected. - If all piston lights are blinking and the fuel lane target is hit then the score value is doubled. - Changed fuel lane scoring. Changed fuel lane "blown pistons" so a blown piston is awarded for each light that is lit instead of only awarding one blown piston for any number of lights lit. - Increased the priority of the fuel lane target hit display effect so the extra ball lit display effect would not cut it off. - The three lights by the fuel lane are now reset when the blown pistons are collected. - Fixed an issue with the skill shot where the 2x right lane award was not being re-enabled on short plunges. - Fixed an issue where fading the music volume would cause the music to cut out entirely (bonus, game over). - Snake multiball background display effect was not showing the correct shot value when the super jackpots were lit. This has been corrected. - Lowered the score for the snake multiball super jackpot.

SOLVED.

Can someone give me a hand getting colorization to work on this table please? I've gone through the tutorial i linked to below twice. I've been at it for many hours now. I can't get colorization to work on any table, including this one. The only colorization that works is the 4 color standard in the F1 options. I'm completely lost as to why the tutorial doesn't work at all. Since i first installed this table i've had the standard dmd showing in orange and another in the top left in green. I hid the smaller orange one and the tutorial will not work on the larger green one at all. The only thing i did differently was to not check use external dmd in the F1 options because I don't use one. I'm on a single desktop monitor so i want it viewable there. I'm lost as to why i can't get this working.

SOLVED. I misunderstood the guy who posted this tutorial. He said if you have a 32 bit system you use the X86 and if you have a 64 bit system you uset the x64. He wasn't specific so i thought he meant 32 or 64 pc. What he meant was 32 or 64 vpinmame or vpx. So I overwrote all the x64 files with x86 and the DMD started in color like it was supposed to. The tutorial works well if not for him being un specific in a few places.

Now I have a new issue to tackle with this table and any other table i am using color DMD files on. The editor stays on when in full screen after the table starts up. I have to manually click on the screen to get it to disappear. Super annoying. Anyone know how to stop this behavior?

Edited by GordonJames

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I've tried this table and it's great fun. Only I've got a couple of times that the ball gets stuck on de magnetized place below the electric chair and doesn't come down, unless I tillt the table. Sometimes after a while all the coils are 'reset' and the hammer comes down and it helps but sometimes the ball keeps hanging there.

I use rom 1.8 and VPX 10.7.4

Anyone has a sollution for that ?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think I'm doing something wrong. I put Metallica Premium Monsters (Stern 2013).directb2s in the Tables folder but it does not launch with the game. Running outside of Popper.

Another question: this is 32 bit only? 10.7? 

5 hours ago, cityskate said:

I think I'm doing something wrong. I put Metallica Premium Monsters (Stern 2013).directb2s in the Tables folder but it does not launch with the game. Running outside of Popper.

Make sure the .directb2s file name matches exactly the corresponding .vpx file name. So if your game file is named "Metallica Premium Monsters (Stern 2013) VPW Mod.vpx" then you must rename the backglass file "Metallica Premium Monsters (Stern 2013) VPW Mod.directb2s" for it to launch with the table.

On 4/2/2024 at 10:23 PM, robertms said:

Make sure the .directb2s file name matches exactly the corresponding .vpx file name. So if your game file is named "Metallica Premium Monsters (Stern 2013) VPW Mod.vpx" then you must rename the backglass file "Metallica Premium Monsters (Stern 2013) VPW Mod.directb2s" for it to launch with the table.

Thanks, that did it. Building the cabinet is challenging and fun, but basic skills. The software is the hard part, and I'm an IT guy! It's just a lot of different programs you have to learn, settings you have to learn for each program. It's a lot for a newbie like myself. But I love a challenge, so it's all good. Having fun with these tables.