DMDExt - Pin2DMD not found

GAH1068

I have a friend who purchased a Pin2DMD for his Vpin he is upgrading.     Have a strange problem that I haven't been able to sort out yet.      For whatever reason running the command line DMDEXT.exe will not find the Pin2DMD.   The strange part is that the Pin2DMD is working fine in VPX with colored roms so it doesn't appear to be board related.   UltraDMD is also displaying fine on it.    I personally own a PinDMDV3 so this is my first use of a Pin2DMD.  I am assuming I am missing a step.

His system is running the release 10.6 VPX as well as the latest release of SAMBuild 3.2 (final).     VPX is configured for cabinet mode and use External DMD is confirmed checked.     We have Popper installed and VPX tables are launching properly.   

We are trying to get his Pin2DMD working with FX3 and that is where I have hit a wall.     Running/configuring DMDExt has always been easy so I am at a loss why isn't finding the Pin2DMD.

On the Pin2DMD we have:

• Upgraded to Colorprism 3.05
  • Applied license file.   Device shows it is activated and shows it set for Virtual Pinball on the DMD
  • Download DMDExt 1.71 and 1.72 both and placed in VPinmame folder  (both 32bit)
  • Edited DMDDevice.ini and turned off virtual dmd, along with PinDMDV1 through PinDMDV3.    Pin2DMD is the only DMD enabled.    Just to make sure I have replaced the dmddevice.ini a few times to confirn there wasn't some sort of typo in the .ini

[pindmd1]
                  ; if false, doesn't bother looking for a pinDMD1
                 enabled = false

[pindmd2]
                 ; if false, doesn't bother looking for a pinDMD2
                 enabled = false

[pindmd3]
                ; if false, doesn't bother looking for a pinDMD3
               enabled = false
                ; COM port, e.g. COM3
                ;port =

[pin2dmd]
              ; if false, doesn't bother looking for a PIN2DMD
              enabled = true

• USB cable is connected.   PC is showing USB driver is loaded and working and set for COM3    I have removed the driver and let it re-add several times by changing USB ports.

If I run either as standard command line or Adminstrator command line   

DMDEXT test --destination=pin2dmd                   I get an error Pin2DMD not found.   

DMDEXT test --destination=virtual                       I get the expected DMDEXT image on the virtual display.

This happens with both DMDExt 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 .   I tried specifying COM3 port in the DMDDevice.ini by adding port=COM3 as well as passing in the command line using --port=COM3 as well.

I have same issues running the normal DMDEXT mirror --source=pinballfx3 --destination=pin2dmd     Always get the Pin2DMD not found.

Since the board works in VPX It is hard to believe it is a hardware issue.     Is there anything you need to configure on the DMD itself using the built-in menus?      My only other guess is it is a version issue with DMDDevice.dll

or something with the USB driver.   The libusbk.dll driver has NOT been installed.  Is it needed for DMDExt.exe?    My only other guess is the COM port that is assigned or the port settings need to be altered in device manager

from the default.

Any help would be appreciated.   Getting DMDExt up and running has always been one easiest setup items.  I have remoted into several other peoples systems and helped with all versions PInDMDV1-PinDMDV3 but this is my

first configuriing with the Pin2DMD.  The fact that it works in VPX using External DMD (DMDDevice.dll)  and not DMDExt.exe for FX3 doesn't make sense.   

• Content Provider
16 minutes ago, GAH1068 said:

USB cable is connected.   PC is showing USB driver is loaded and working and set for COM3    I have removed the driver and let it re-add several times by changing USB ports.

PIN2DMD does not use any COM port emulation to communicate so how can you set COM3 ? I think you messed up the driver setup.

The USB driver that it autodetected and installed show it is configured for COM3 in device manager.    Is there a manal driver install needed?

I did try not specifying an ports as well just in case.   I tried using COM3 after going into device manager and looking for USB driver that was installed..   How should the Pin2DMD showing in device manager?    

This screen print is not from his machine but this is the same as the way Windows 10 showed the driver that was installed.v

pin2dmd-drv.png

Good to here

I  have a pin2dmd and a Virtual DMD using PinUp popper

If you are using PinUp popper then do this Instead of dmdext.exe - Add these two lines to the top of the launch script

cd /d "C:\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME"
start /min "" "PUPDMDControl.exe" FX3 PINUP\[GAMENAME]

For more info
http://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=pupdmd_fx3&fbclid=IwAR2z3hd15BLoJhIp4wAfUz_Yv19UCsRk-xdR4MlHX4utZmuSDUmUS8nEHtU

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or if you want to use dmdext.exe instead

cd "C:\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME"
start /min "" "dmdext.exe" mirror --source=pinballfx3 -q -d pin2dmd --pinup PINUP\[GAMENAME]

Also I use this version of Freezy

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3370-attack-from-mars-colorization/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-42753

And use the dmdext.exe from here - dmdext-1.7.3-SNAPSHOT-r78-x86-Release.zip

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/freezy/dmd-extensions/builds/28501080/job/of2xcyb12jwip7kd/artifacts

Archived