Pin2DMD for < $125 - DIY

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, vasectomboy said:

I guess some sort of proof that there's _some_ life inside the Nucleo?

True ! Maybe try using a ribbon cable to connect to the first LED panel.

2 hours ago, vasectomboy said:

Also what's the purpose of all the other connectors and the battery etc. in the PCB? Like DHT11, RS232, and the two IR-connections? 

ESP32, DHT11, IR are only needed for GO-DMD clock project and not used by PIN2DMD.

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

True ! Maybe try using a ribbon cable to connect to the first LED panel.

ESP32, DHT11, IR are only needed for GO-DMD clock project and not used by PIN2DMD.

We have a picture!!!!!!!! Thank you for the help!

Is the battery also needed only for the GO-DMD? RS232 is for debugging purposes I presume?

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, vasectomboy said:

Is the battery also needed only for the GO-DMD?

No, the battery is also for GO-DMD clock.

9 hours ago, vasectomboy said:

RS232 is for debugging purposes I presume?

No, it is used to send triggers to 3rd party mods like this

https://stumblorpinball.com/blogs/news/how-to-make-interactive-pinball-speaker-lights

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 4:12 AM, MikePinball said:

I have fixed a couple of problems on my first PCB and I have made it available in this append for anyone who wants it. As a reminder the "*ONLY* change is the addition of a SMD socket for the micro SD card and a SIL resistor array. If you are not familiar with SMD soldering then I would use the original PCB design. This PCB design has no warranties and you should verify before using it.

Mike Pinball

PIN2DMD_Nucleo144-MikePinball-20190106.zip

So, I'm looking for this package, but as it seems to be gone from the link, could somebody possibly upload it again to this topic? I'd need to know how @MikePinball connected the resistor array to the micro SD card slot.

1 hour ago, vasectomboy said:

So, I'm looking for this package, but as it seems to be gone from the link, could somebody possibly upload it again to this topic? I'd need to know how @MikePinball connected the resistor array to the micro SD card slot.

For ease of usage please only use the layouts that are in the official repository. these are well tested and if you ever need help you won't probably get or it will be a very tedious task it if you use a proprietary design. ;)

35 minutes ago, Rappelbox said:

For ease of usage please only use the layouts that are in the official repository. these are well tested and if you ever need help you won't probably get or it will be a very tedious task it if you use a proprietary design. ;)

As mentioned in the other topic I posted, the Chinese micro SD card reader that was introduced as cheap option for Nucleo-V4 PCBs is very hard to find, so I'm adapting the design choice MikePinball made in his board as option.

Edited by vasectomboy

the waveshare microsd is pretty cheap and available at various sources... ;)
why always this hunt for the last few cents, c'mon... we are playing with toys that cost several thousand bucks and you hunt for the last freaking cents, that can't be serious?!
And it's always things like this that cause trouble afterwards... i've gone through that myself and the only thing you get from it is: more wasted time!

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I'm returning to my pinball hobby after a good many years of a job that sucked the life out of me, and the color DMDs for pins is very appealing to me. Last I looked though, this was probably pre-PIN2DMD and used large LCD panels, etc, and felt very clunky. I own all 90's DMD pins, not too many, about 8. I have the electronics experience to assemble the boards and source parts, but this topic seems to have meandered greatly over the years. Is there a good starting point? Is the original PIN2DMD author still accepting donations? (I'd be glad to support him). Is there a more modern alternative?

My apologies if I am posting in the wrong place. I ran across the LCD panels on Ali Express and became very excited about the option to do this without costing me many thousands of dollars. Any words that anyone has are much appreciated.

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, DocBlock said:

Is the original PIN2DMD author still accepting donations? (I'd be glad to support him).

I´m still active and collect donations for the activation of the device firmware to forward them to the supported charity projects. I think they need the support more than me . A good starting point is the pin2dmd.com website.

If you have any questions please use the power of the community. Unfortunatelly I don´t have enough time to give one on one support.