PIN2DMD EVO128x32 Controller Board

lucky1

• Content Provider

I uploaded the Eagle files and BOM list of the new PIN2DMD EVO128x32 controller board to my github account here
https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware/EVO128x32

Technically it is based on the schematics of the Nucleo 429ZI board, the V4 shield and the XL4015 DC-DC converter
but all on a single PCB which also is used as a mounting plate for the LED panels. I designed it for my private use and ordered a test run from a chinese manufacturer called pcbway. They offer turnkey manufacturing which means that they also source the parts and fully assembles the pcbs. Including tax and shipping it cost me 700 Euro which is 70 Euro for each pcb and  almost the same price as the parts needed for the V4 shield, the Nucleo board and the acrylic frame. It can use 12V or 5V as a a power source.

The eagle files are free to use for everyone who wants to organize a group buy or sell them in a shop because I still don´t sell any hardware. Here are some pictures of my testboard.

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

Just looking at the power connectors for the LED displays. Are you soldering the wires onto the board after manufacture at PCBWay? 

If yes, then wouldn't it be better to have suitable through holes in the PCB to be able to solder the wires with a better physical connection?

If no, please provide a photo of the other side of the PCB (with the LED displays removed).

2 hours ago, tjc02002 said:

This is freakin sweet!!! 

Question, I’ve never soldered surface mount but I’ve seen videos. How would you propose to assemble this? Are there pcb manufacturers that could do the surface mount soldering? 

I read your whole post this time! I see you got them assembled from pcb way. Did they assemble everything on the big pcb and then you just added the led panels and cables and then connect the power wires? If everything works well, could you possibly set up a duplicate order for other people just to buy direct from them fully assembled? 

• Content Provider
7 minutes ago, fly said:

I have a question on how to download an eagle file from github ??

Right click on the RAW button and select "Save link as"

7 minutes ago, fly said:

and the second question, how to program the device ??

USB DFU mode or ST-Link

On 9/18/2018 at 11:31 AM, fly said:

Is the controller board, apart from the software, different in construction to stern, williams etc. ??

Thank you

The board is functionally the same as the V4 shield mounted to the Nucleo STM32 dev. board.   The same unit can be used for Stern, Williams, Data East, Sega, etc.      I don't believe anyone other than Lucky1 actually has one of these yet.   If I'm mistaken, I'm sure someone will chime in shortly.

• 4 months later...

Hello lucky 1  I was thinking of making me do the cards evo 128x32 I wanted to understand once made and mounted the RGB panels how to program them,
I wanted to know if it is a simple or complex thing and where I can find the program to insert, if you need to unlock them as you did with those that mounted the nucleus and Schield thanks also for all the work you do.

• Content Provider
On 9/15/2018 at 4:10 AM, tjc02002 said:

If everything works well, could you possibly set up a duplicate order for other people just to buy direct from them fully assembled? 

Programming is done through USB DFU mode using this tool https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-stm32080.html and the nucleo dfu firmware from github. DFU mode is activated by holding down the boot button during power on. Activation process is the same.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. Very new to this. Can anyone point me in the direction to buy the latest and greatest assembled displays for the actual pinball machines getaway and t2? I am wanting to eventually customise some of the wording and graphics. Colourising is not priority but would be an added bonus! 

I've contacted GGS but they have no stock and have been warned by users on pinside to avoid them? I have no experience either way.

Thanks for any help.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought some EVO boards, they look and work great!    I'm very impressed that Lucky1 was able to create this board based on the Nucleo and V4 shield.   It's a great solution and eliminates the need for a frame as well.   Thanks Lucky1!   Here is my first display.    I have plenty of extras and can make more, send me a PM if you are interested in one.

IMG_7789.JPG

IMG_7790.JPG

Also See Post On Next Page

They are for Visual pinball or Real pin's

Would they also serve as a color LCD replacment for a Vpin using dmddevice.dll and altcolor folders? ---Yes

But they will not show image like you would see in Back to the future or Tom and Jerry on a LCD

That's why have one of each

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=39093#entry393762