Pin2Dmd - Table Support

lucky1

This may be redundant but to help / elaborate on what lucky1 said for anyone else who asks:

I have an LCD currently as my DMD, It's actually a small in-wall monitor so I could mount it flat without cutting in to my cabinet. So as you can see I'm pretty thrifty/lazy. So I was very interested in doing colour without any mods. I mean I already have a full colour monitor. You can patch the roms you can browse them in browser.  It was even something I tried before PIN2DMD was announced because ColorDMD for real machines was an LCD and here's the difference...specialized hardware/software.

The missing element is something to process that information... When you change the 4 colours in PinMame or theoretically 16 on stern roms.  You change the colour reference for all frames.   Pinball Browser/ Pin2DMD Editor/ColorDMD/SmartDMD  colours each frame individually... each pixel (it's also how you can completely change all the images/sounds and customize a game).

PinMame Ex: you set colors to white (100%), Green (66%), Blue (33%), Black (0%) Every frame is those colours based on "brightness" of an original 1 colour / 4 or 16 phase presumably orange LED.

Colour Ex: You re-colour everything frame by frame whatever colour you choose . The rom calls on these frames (which is a hexadecimal reference?) either in a real pin or Pinmame using additional software/hardware,  Even when you patch a rom the colours aren't actually in the frames but are referenced to a palette file So frame 1000 (a space battle) uses these 16 colours, frame 1020 (people running) uses these 16 colours.

If you replace your Stern DMD with RGB, burn a colour rom, and don't have additional hardware you just get 16 shades of Grey because it's R+G+B at the same levels, It's all about that next step...

So far is there is no "extension" for lack of a better term to perform these tasks with pinmame. Even moving to a 16 colour palette will still be 16 static colours for the entire set of frames.  If you can write that or modify existing open source more power to you!

but now that it's a pretty cheap option AND RGB... thanks to all the great work lucky has done on Pin2DMD, I'm finally going DMD Which just feels right. Like flashers or the feel of contractors... the DMD is just kind of a "thing" for people even if I am losing some sweet wallpaper / resolution from my 3rd screen.

HI Darien, thanks for the explanation..

i am curious about the 16 colors for STERN roms. i understand that there are 16 shades, but i am not able to make any shade adjustments, and some are so dark, they can barely be seen. is there any way that you know of adjusting them?.. thanks/sparky

You have to use the ROM and zip file name for the colored version.

Yeap, but nothing. Pinmame say no rom found when I click check rom. Someone have one of the twos I'm trying to test that can share it with me, just to see if I'm doing something wrong with the patch (diff). I did long time ago the Shreck, POTC, etc and they works.. but these don't. :(

Maybe I wasn't clear enough so I ask again.

I have made custom palettes with pinball browser for twd and mustang. By now its only 1 palette for the whole rom

But when I trie to launch tables through vpinball, and even if the palette seems to load, I only get the vga palette. Not the smartdmd one I have created. (I used the script to load the palette)

If I trie to launch the saved custom rom I get an error due to the fact that the rom isn't in vpinmame.

How can I try my modified walking dead?

• Content Provider

If I trie to launch the saved custom rom I get an error due to the fact that the rom isn't in vpinmame.

How can I try my modified walking dead?

If the ROM size did´change after modification with pinball browser, you simply have to give it the

same name as the original (ROM name and zip file name) and check ignore crc in the options menu.

Please share your efforts (palette files etc) with us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...