Ssd's.... Oh How They Suck. I Love Them, But They Suck.

ViriiGuy

Hola Mi Amigos! Long time no talk. Life has been busy and always in the way, but there is always time for Pinball!
My cabinet has been running like a champ for a couple years now... Well, until today. :( I used an SSD as the drive for the pinball cabinet. The performance boost was amazing! In less than 15 seconds it would boot from being off, to PinballX and ready to play, Tables picked up serious speed boosts as well. Everything was faster!

Now as an IT Pro, I knew better than to trust an SSD... So I made a backup.. Fairly regularly... Well, a couple times a year anyway. But I made them onto an SSD... The logic was, it only is used when I do a backup, so it will be fine! Yea.... No. Today I turned on the Cabinet, only to realize that my drive had died!. No biggie though, I have imaged that drive onto a spare SSD. So I swap them out, power it back on... Oh look.... That one is dead too. *sigh*

So there it is folks, never EVER use an SSD as your only backup. I knew better.. But honestly what are the odds of losing them both in the same time frame? Guess I better go buy a lottery ticket. And a new SSD. But this time I will setup weekly backups to my Networked SAN.

Dammit... dammit.. dammit. Months and months of work, and an 828 table setup.. Gone. Some of those I am fairly certain I will have some difficulty tracking back down.. But most I won't. But oh so much work!

EM pulse in your house? Lol ... but sounds more like a controller problem ... odds have to be a crazy number to both stop working.

I have my first SSD running windows 10 preview right now but that thing has been used and abused for, let's see, over 6 years now. In fact I have not had a bad SSD or one fail on me yet. Just a quick look at my invoices looks like 42 SSD purchases in that same 6 years. Builds for family and friends and clients. In fact prices are right now that this next build for my sister will be a 1tb SSD with no mechanical drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I had 2 SSD die a few years ago, but that was a know issue with that make of drive (it needed a firmware upgrade to fix the issue (something like trim not working right).  Can't remember the make but I now buy samsung SSD without any issues and love the speed increase (I could never go back to a spinning HardDrive).  Sorry to hear about your issues and I would plug the SSD into an external adapter to see if you can see it.

The controller is fine. Other drives work on it and the SSDs do not work in another system.

I have a history of rotten luck of the worst magnitude. Especially where this cabinet is concerned :D

I lost my first three SSDs within 6 months. They were culprits of the Intel chipset bug that plagued some of the earlier ones.

The controller is fine. Other drives work on it and the SSDs do not work in another system.

I have a history of rotten luck of the worst magnitude. Especially where this cabinet is concerned :D

I lost my first three SSDs within 6 months. They were culprits of the Intel chipset bug that plagued some of the earlier ones.

3 drives!? Wow! I've had maybe 3 fail in 900 systems you must live next to some high voltage power lines or power plant! That's crazy! Or you got shag carpet in pinball room! :)

• Content Provider

3 drives!? Wow! I've had maybe 3 fail in 900 systems you must live next to some high voltage power lines or power plant! That's crazy! Or you got shag carpet in pinball room! :)

I thought pinball was supposed to be a "shag" room? ;)

No shag here!! The only room with carpet is my bedroom. And that is a tight weave commercial carpet.
I lost a few drives initially, because they were Monster brand.. And at that time they were having a LOT of issues. The two I just lost were both Government issue Intel SSD drives. All 100% American made chips and shit... I suspect that is the issue :|

So, Today I picked up a new Crucial MX200 250GB SSD. Just got Server 2012 loaded back on and now to slowly start compiling my collection again.

Anyone wanna share theirs with me? :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

what happened to the downloads? Nevermind I'm a dumbass

Oh, I charge for them now..... (just kidding).

I just wasn't sure what you meant by that, that's all. I wasn't sure if it was, "it's not working" or "there hasn't been new tables in a while". If it was the latter, I've just been busy. The  FS woodrails I release  when Phil releases the Desktop version. I haven't had time like I used to for conversions and rebuilds either. A fully stocked cab is a full time job in itself. Well that, and working 6-7 days a week. :angry:

Archived