Backglass Lcd Tv Gone Red ? Dead Lcd ?

TT11

Hi all.  Have a bit of a strange thing that's started in the last week on my 39" LCD Backglass monitor connected initially via VGA but now via HDMI after hoping the change might have just been the video card or TV's handling of input.  BTW backglass monitor has worked fine for 2+ years before now.

It is starting to go red....

Hard to describe but most translites now have a shining red look about them.  E.g. Kiss which is a red/orange backglass now looks like it has too much contrast and is blurry bright orange.  Baywatch - David Hasselhoff 's and Pammy Anderson's skin are burnt orange too.  Anything that has black in the background has lost it's clarity also. E.g. Space Invaders. 

In Windows the file manager fonts look blurry and have a pink tinge to the whole desktop colour scheme.

If I power the TV off for a while and back on again, things look fne for about 10 minutes before turning red.  Have tried lowering the tone in RGB settings on the TV which has helped, but does this mean I should go and get a new backglass TV ?????

When I connected an external laptop to the screen, the same red discolouration happens, so it's not my video card.

Also my playfield TV is still displaying perfectly.......!!! 

Comments please ....

Thanks Frenetic,

I had the VGA connection working perfectly for over 2 years. I then tried another VGA cable.  When that didn't work, I switched to HDMI but that hasn't helped with the red colouring either....

• Content Provider

I was using the HDMI, and it made my colors different. I had to reset my colors for HDMI. I went back to vga and had to go back to my old settings. What bothers me here is your quote.

"If I power the TV off for a while and back on again, things look fne for about 10 minutes before turning red."

This would make me think the tv is the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that good with an iron.... But I might open the TV up and take a look for any caps that might have buldged....  Then maybe ask a TV Techo how much to undertake the repair ???  Might be cheaper than sourcing another TV....

Archived