Square One. The Old Wide Vs Normal Question

rickla

I'm here to whine. I finally decided to make a cab. I ended up with a TV right side for standard width. So I took it apart today and found I really didn't need to take off the bezel so put that back on.

Cracked it.

I do hardware all the time, have no idea how I pulled that one off but ahhhrg!

So, his makes me have to research playfield tvs. This was a Samsung and nice for this application.

I notice the vast majority of builds are going wide body. Anyone here build boy ways and has an opinion on going wide? I realize all tables em or newer will fill up the screen and it's just size. I'm guessing wide may scale so the ball is bigger than a real one.

Anyway on the fence, appreciate feedback. Or laughing for my cracking a perfectly good screen!

• Content Provider

I'm currently debating this one as well, right now the only reason I am going with a standard cab is because I already have the TV for it.

If I was buying new parts I'd really have to go widebody. After talking with several people who have cabs, the consensus is that widebody is the best for virtual pinball. Possibly the biggest reason is that the length and width of the tv (47 inch) fit perfectly into a widebody cabinet. If you go standard and get a 40" tv, you fit the width of the cab perfectly, but your screen will be ~7 inches shorter front to back than a standard cab. There's ways around this, you can cut the cab shorter, or you can put a fake apron in the front like some cab manufacturers do, or leave a gap at the back of the screen... but if you want the best fit you won't be happy without making the cab shorter. Fine if it's all you'll have, but if you ever get a real pin then the discrepancy will be glaring. 

• 4 months later...

I'm currently debating this one as well, right now the only reason I am going with a standard cab is because I already have the TV for it.

If I was buying new parts I'd really have to go widebody. After talking with several people who have cabs, the consensus is that widebody is the best for virtual pinball. Possibly the biggest reason is that the length and width of the tv (47 inch) fit perfectly into a widebody cabinet. If you go standard and get a 40" tv, you fit the width of the cab perfectly, but your screen will be ~7 inches shorter front to back than a standard cab. There's ways around this, you can cut the cab shorter, or you can put a fake apron in the front like some cab manufacturers do, or leave a gap at the back of the screen... but if you want the best fit you won't be happy without making the cab shorter. Fine if it's all you'll have, but if you ever get a real pin then the discrepancy will be glaring. 

The 47 " Tv fit perfect in a widebody cabinet without decease???  Or you need to decease it?

Thanks

Archived