Would A Pci Sound Card Help ?

TT11

Hi all,

I have a great cab that has over 300+ VP and FP tables installed.  It has run absolutely everything I have thrown at it, with the exception of the latest SAM Tables.

I have an old machine but obviously a pretty capable one.  Pentium dual core E6600 / Asus ATI  Radeon EAH6770 / 4GB RAM / 80G SATA HDD / Win XP SP3 / 2 screen cab.

It's only in the last few weeks that I have a bad sound stutter/repeat on SAM Table's sound.  Not the video or ball at all, only stuttering in the sound.  The current system uses the onboard Realtec HD sound card.  I've been told that the SAM Tables use a lot of extra resources and can push CPU's to the limit, thus causing the sound stutter problem........

Would a PCI Sound Card like a Sound Blaster Live installed help at all, possibly?  Just clutching at straws here......?  It would only be to help the sound issue with the couple of SAM Tables (BBH, Avengers, X-Men) as the other 300 tables run fine.

I have thought about upgrading to an Core i3 4150 CPU / mobo with 4GB 1600Mhz DDR3 ram.  Would a system like this be overkill for the ASUS EAH6770 video card to be used in?  Was thinking I could use the onboard Intel HD 4400 video output for my backglass and just use the EAH6770 for playfield.

Everyones thoughts.......???

• Administrators

I'm not sure if offloading to a sound card is enough or not. VP/VPM are very CPU intensive. The i3 should be ok for VP/VPM.

Personally, I'm using an i5 3570k, 16gb ram, nvidia 550 and 250, 250gb SSD. Full feedback, 8 contactors, LEDs, shaker and gear motors. Overkill or not, it will run anything I throw at it.

• Content Provider

RAM could be the biggest performance boost for you outside of the processor itself. I've never used an i3 personally so I can't speak for that, I've got an i7 on both my systems and the biggest difference between the two (aside from the laptop being SLI which I turn off to conserve power) is the RAM. VP is smooth as butter on that system with 8GB, but choppy enough on my 4GB RAM pc that it gets frustrating sometimes.

Hi all,

Everyones thoughts.......???

similar system, same probs as you...

well, i would say : try ! and told us ;)

but as i think, and my son confirm, no matter to pass thrue a pci sound card, the CPU should still be use to emulate, and thats our prob in this case

I'll give the SB Live a go.  Can't hurt.  I'm running XP 32bit so installing more ram wont be recognized, but then again it is only DDR2 running at 800Mhz too.  I can go as far as a Pentium Dual Core E6800 whitch runs at 3.3Ghz up from my current 3.06Ghz.....  Only $40 to upgrade.  Was thinking the i3 as it has great single core performance, over many higher spec'd i5 processors.....  I really wanted to re-use the video card, HDD, power supply etc.  I just wish I had enough money to purchase a whole new system and run them side by side......

I have an I-3 2400k OC'ed to 3.9 with 16gb ram and a Nvidia GTX280 (1 card, 2 screens). No problems on any Sam's yet for what it's worth.

Thanks for this.  I'm wondering if this might be a Win XP 32bit thing? I can install another 4GB of DDR2 Ram but my O/S won't see any of it.  Assume with 16GB RAM you are running a 64 bit verson of Windows 7 or 8 ???

• Content Provider

My uneducated guess would be it's an XP and DDR2 thing. I'm running Windows 7x64 Ultimate. But my computer isn't dedicated to the cab, it also works as a desktop. That's why I overbuilt it 3 years ago (has it been that long?).

• 2 months later...

Success.....  It was the processor.  Upgraded my Win XP 32 Bit Hyperpin machine with a Core i3 with 4GB DDR3 1600 Ram and it now runs SAM tables sweet.  Thanks to all those who lent a hand with helping the problem !!

Archived