Thinking Of Starting A New, From Scratch, Table. Suggestions?

85vett

• Content Provider

OK, so I'm starting to feel the bug again and work is finally slowing down (just a tad) to where I think I can start working on some tables again. 

Is there any interest in any of the below?  If interest in more than one, which one would you like to see first?

- Captain Fantastic

- Eight Ball Delux

- Road Kings

- Batman Dark Knight

- Open to other ROM controlled suggestions

I'd like to do some EM's but I don't know how to script them so am stuck working on ROM controlled games.

I have the following already WIP thus why they are not on the list:

- Metallica - 95% done and waiting on it going out of production.  Still need a sparky primative and physics work

- Star Trek - 90%, stuck until we figure out a way to emulate the aux boards

- Mustang - 90%, stuck until we figure out a way to emulate the aux boards

- Corvette - 50% done.  Got burned out working on the LT5 Engine.  Also needs a primative model but doubtful it would/could be made

I have no desires to make AC/DC or TF but I have provided resource images for them.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

Good deal, TF and ACDC are covered anyways :) You gotta leave some stuff for the other guys... lol

I have seen a few tables that could use updates that I've got on my list for future consideration:

GoldenEye

Sopranos

Secret Service

I think of those 3, Sopranos is most requested (and next on my TO DO list)

From your list I would choose Eight Ball Deluxe or Road Kings

If I was going to make any recommendations they'd be Judge Dredd or Johnny Mnemonic. I think someone was working on a great Dredd over on VPF though so maybe avoid that.

I think BDK would be a nightmare, and I wpn't approach it because the voice actors annoy the crap out of me

Or what about WPT? Too lame? Lol

Dark knight for sure is one that would be welcomed. IMHO, i have actually enjoyed lights, camera action on the "pinball arcade" so that's one that I don't think is done that although it's a Gottlieb's table lol, it's got some good shots!

Eight ball deluxe off your list is a true classic and IMHO merits the "85vett" quality treatment

• Content Provider

frenetecamnesic - I'll leave Soprano's to you :-)

I had thought about WPT as well as Wheel of Fortune but the playfield screens (almost like a DMD) make me nervious as I'm assuming that will require scripting that exceeds my skill set.

I do like some of the other suggestions but resources are the main problem.  I'm really up for anything that wont require me to do a complete PF redraw from scratch.  Touch-up's aren't a concern as I dissect them anyways but I don't think I'm up for a complete redo (like my playboy playfield).  The tables I mentioned I already have good playfields for in my archives and I saw a redraw posted for road kings.  Striker and Jurassic Park would be fun ones but the art would be a nightmare since I haven't even seen decent bare PF pics/scans of them.

• Content Provider

Yea I am with you, I really don't want to do any more tables that I need to redraw for. We already do so much photoshop work on these builds, then you add in all the time needed to redraw a pf, I'd probably burn out before I ever finished anything.

coolball, IJ/CSI are on my wish list as well but they just can't be emulated yet. If we ever find a way to, they'll get done for sure.

I want to share more about transformers but it's not my place to :) I love doing WIP threads... It's coming soon though and it's gonna be awesome

• Content Provider

I'd like to do some EM's but I don't know how to script them so am stuck working on ROM controlled games.

Well why didn't you say so. I can help there. :P  Compared to what you do it's easy.

Or if you wanted to build I could script.,

• Content Provider

Short Question, is there any development in work regarding the aux boards and visual pinball?

Unfortunatly, i have no coding skills ;-(

Not that I am aware of.  I've made a couple topics around this and all have gone dead real fast.  Almost afraid we will have to wait for VPF to pick up on this one which would mean we wont have it for 3+ years :-(  Without this ST wont play correctly.  Still fun but the control gates in the pops wont work and Mustang is pretty much going to be unplayable as half the lights wont work.

• Content Provider

Not that I am aware of.  I've made a couple topics around this and all have gone dead real fast.  Almost afraid we will have to wait for VPF to pick up on this one which would mean we wont have it for 3+ years :-(  Without this ST wont play correctly.  Still fun but the control gates in the pops wont work and Mustang is pretty much going to be unplayable as half the lights wont work.

So here are a couple of low res playfield teasers of what I have done.

1407972050.jpg

1407972067.jpg

• Content Provider

85vett, so many tables to choose from pick one you want to do. If you want to do an EM, I would be more than willing to help out with the scripting but have no knowledge on doing Db2S backglass. Edit: just saw Itchigos post offering help too. Itchi can open up an EM workshop for all of us ;)

Regarding Transformers, Frenetic and I are working on it. It's a joint production. :). Frenetic does have the magic touch. I am on out of town this week , so Frenetic feel free to start a WIP thread and post away freely. BTW, I have All the TF action figures for the table, so we can add Starscream to the right ramp and improve on what we have for others.

Star Trek wront play correctly..... Now i will have a bad night. When i first time seen the FP build on youtube no ideas about  DOF and physics, i decided to built a cabinet - and next days i ordered some parts andi installed VP.

3+ years - i will suffer deeply! I need some beer now cheers

• Content Provider

Star Trek wront play correctly..... Now i will have a bad night. When i first time seen the FP build on youtube no ideas about  DOF and physics, i decided to built a cabinet - and next days i ordered some parts andi installed VP.

3+ years - i will suffer deeply! I need some beer now cheers

That youtube actually wasn't FP.  It was a beta version of my table that got leaked out and posted up.  I believe my old Metallica found it's way on there as well at some point.

If you haven't played the real ST you wont know the difference.  If you have then you will.  It will still play great without that feature for the time being assuming it goes out of production before that is figured out.  Keep building your cab as I think you'll be happy ;-)

My Choices (in preferrance order):

Wizard (I have a couple Hi-res PF pics w/flash - Hint, Hint)

Captain Fantastic would be prefered

EBD was my first pin - still fun to play.

BDK is currently unavailable, so MANY people would like that (not my first choice, but probably the largest audience)

• Content Provider

Which one is yours? I not have the bookmark anymore. ;-(

Now after the second beer i loved to see a preview again ;-)

I think it was removed.  I was vocal about not being happy it was on youtube as it was (and still is) an in production game.  I think either the person whom posted it or youtube may have taken it down.  I respect the fact that these shouldn't be published until after production ended so it getting posted was a huge slap in the face as it was shared with a few in private to help me trouble shoot some issues.

Really great to hear that you're jumping back into making tables again 85vett!  Although with all of those WIPs and they physmod stuff you've been doing it seems you've been keeping quite busy in the VP space as it is!  As far as primitives go, Dark and Zany are doing amazing 3D modelling work over at VPF so they might be persuaded to take a crack at some of the models you need. :)

Out of the list of tables you posted I'd like to see The Dark Knight and Road Kings the most, but any of them would be great - like others said, do what will be the most fun for you!

Since you seem to have a knack for Stern tables, I'd also love to see any of the following (assuming resources exist for them of course):

Family Guy

Big Buck Hunter

Shrek

Harley Davidson (I have fun playing this in TPA even though most don't seem to care for it).

NBA

Dale Jr/NASCAR - There's actually a Dale Jr. at the mall near where I work so I could try and take some picutres if that would help.  Of course they'd be glass on, so I don't know how useful they would be.

I'd love to see a nice finished version of Dark Knight.

Ditto ... From your list -Dark Knight...    Family Guys and Shrek would be two other Sterns I would like to see.   FP is great but the physics I don't like.   Spraying the ball in strange directions.

Archived