Physmod5 Crashes But Not Physmod 2

85vett

• Content Provider

Looking for some guidance here.  I am polishing up a couple of tables for release for when they go out of production.  The problem I am having is that the table is crashing in phsymod5 but does not crash in phsymod2.  Does anyone know what could cause it to crash in one version and not the other?  Anyone skilled with these things that could maybe troubleshoot?  I find physmod5 to play much better so I want to RL on that platform when the time comes.

The table has multiple primatives (ramps, static parts, pegs, some rubbers, spotlights) and uses the new flasher routines.

Hey 85vett, I'm not a table guru, but I was wandering if you have tested it on more than one system?  I'm sure you have, but I was just saying that as I have one table out of hundreds that does something weird that I have asked about and no one else has any problems with.

There is something diferent on my machine that is causing problems.  On other tables I have seen many people post with a certain problem and mine would be fine. Just a thought.

Thanks for all you do!

• Content Provider

If it's the one table in particular, I don't believe it to be an issue with your game. I had it crash in vp990, and I had another users table crash as well. It wouldn't crash in 921, and I don't remember if it crashed in physmod5 but it sounds like the same issue.

Does VP completely crash out? I can send you the other version I have and see if it does the same thing for you. I think it's a rom/vpinmame issue considering all the encounters I've had with it... THAT BEING SAID, I have no solution, but maybe by having multiple scenarios where it crashes it can help pinpoint the problem for someone who can fix it.

• Content Provider

The table is Metallica.  I've got it built (still need a primative sparky though) and am trying to work on the physics of the game.  I have a feeling that it will go out of production soon and I want it ready to go for when that time hits.

The crash happens when I try to start the game.  It loads and then immediatly goes straight into the screen that ask if I want to search the internet for a possible solution.  This error was very common with older VP's that didn't have the 4 gig patch.  The odd thing is the table will run in all VP versions I have minus Physmod5.  I've tried everything I can think of to try and get it to work with no luck.  I've even gone as far as removing all the primatives thinking maybe it was a resource issue and that made no difference.

ironically enough if I take my version that was pre-primatives it will work just fine but when I move to the new version it crashes 99% of the time so something had to drastically change.  I just can't figure out what it could be..

I'm really hoping that I can get this figured out as I really don't want to have to scrap the table.  I've built it from scratch now twice as with physmod it's extremely important to get the playfield deminision to match the real table.  My first version I was working on wasn't so I had to start over.  Just finished getting it put all back together and now this happens :-(

Here is what happens:

- I open VP

- Open table

- Launch table

- table loads all the images (static PF shown)

- At the point where the ROM should boot up it gives the error repesented below

Edit - Not at home now but found an image that shows what the "crash" looks like.  Mine is in english but I think it gives you an an idea.  I'll get the actual screen shot later today.

1407854555.png

Just a shot in the dark but did you try to set vp to different compatibilities and disable visual themes and/or desktop composition? I can't remember which one and I can't go check on the cab right now but I had a table a while back seemed to like one of these settings.

• Content Provider

I'll give all of those a try.  I already tried removing things with no luck but I'll try reverting back to the old lights if I have to just to get it to work for now if that works.

Just is really odd since I've played this table in phsymod 5 for a while with my old version.  Just updating it with primatives and the new lights killed it.  I thought at first it was the resources but Monster Bash plays just fine and I'll never get that many primatives in this table.

• Content Provider

It's not just your table vett. But try another rom as well, other metallica roms or another sam rom and see what happens

This works.  I changed to 150 and it worked.  Changed it right back to 160 and it worked for 3 loads then started acting up again.  Went back to 150 for a load and then back to 160 and it works again.  Still does this on the second launch of the table if I don't close VP down but now if I close VP and open it back up it works.  Very odd but working now.  I can now get back to physic settings :-)

P.S. - If anyone can model sparky for me that would be great.  Looks fine with wall images but would look much better as a model.  Had a couple people offer before but no takers.  One person can do it if I can get them them a bunch of pics but unfortunately my resource for the picks can't do it anymore.

• Content Provider

Primitives can cause/react to odd issues sometimes, but I know another metallica table also crashed (not in physmod) consistently and I thought I narrowed it down to the rom, i thought 151 fixed it but I don't recall. It was something that worked in 9.2.1 but was crashing the dx9 betas, but it had dx9 elements so it wasn't really playable in 921. I haven't seen the issue on any other tables and it hasn't turned up on any official VP releases, just the betas...not that it helps any

I had an issue with a primitive showing up without a texture because a gate on the table was set to invisible, so I know many times issues can be seemingly unrelated, if you can't pinpoint where it went wrong it's almost certainly a wild goose chase. If you save your work to dropbox/box you should be able to cycle back through your previous versions until you find the working one, and then just mess with the changes until it screws up and you can point it out. I see no other way though. 

edit: glad you fixed it. what about markmon? He's got a Metallica and might be able to get pics of sparky. I asked before but never got a response though

• Content Provider

Hey 85vett, I'm not a table guru, but I was wandering if you have tested it on more than one system?  I'm sure you have, but I was just saying that as I have one table out of hundreds that does something weird that I have asked about and no one else has any problems with.

There is something diferent on my machine that is causing problems.  On other tables I have seen many people post with a certain problem and mine would be fine. Just a thought.

Thanks for all you do!

l-s4hlv60oez7jk9.jpg

Archived