Pinball 2000 Cab Ideas And Dimensions

• Content Provider

I'm on the fence about a cabinet build, I would really love to get an empty cabinet with graphics for cheap but they seem scarce, so I have started looking at plans for making my own. I made my mini-cab myself and it turned out well so I am sure I could do this myself, or at the very least have a cnc shop cut it for me. I like the look of Pinball 2000 cabs and think they'd make a great virtual cabinet, but I have a few reservations.

First is the backbox screen size, using the standard plans provided by mameman, it gives you 22 1/4" width for a monitor. If you decase a 24" LCD, it should fit in there perfectly, but it leaves you with a bit of a gap top and/or bottom in the backbox. Not a huge deal I suppose, but for the overall look it may bug me. I hate bezels and gap.

I saw pictures of Dazz's machine and it looks like he made the backbox extra-wide, and if I had to guess he's using a 32" LCD in the backbox. I think the gap on the side bugs me, am I just being weird?

Another question I have is in regards to the reflective DMD screen, is it dumb to hide the area that won't be used by the DMD? I hate the screen on black reflection ....but then I also like some of the other things you can do with a p2k cab, such as the bowlers. Maybe my best bet is to have a removable wall that can block the extra screen space when I'm not using it?

And finally, circling back to the first issue, it's a 22" wide cabinet which means I can fit a 40" decased LCD in there. I have a 42" westinghouse that is starting to have crappy audio that I was thinking about using, any ideas how wide this would be decased? What size LCD would that let me fit in the back box? Could I go 42" playfield and 27" backbox, both decased, and not have gap between the backbox hinge and playfield wall?

Thanks for letting me get long-winded here. Any help and expertise is appreciated.

• Administrators

My backbox is a decased 27" screen. The Pin2k style is my second cabinet.  In order to build it I had to promise to my wife that I wouldn't purchase any new hardware. That's why I have the extended wings on the side of my backbox.  If I was to do it again; I would go with a smaller backglass monitor.

• Content Provider

My backbox is a decased 27" screen. The Pin2k style is my second cabinet.  In order to build it I had to promise to my wife that I wouldn't purchase any new hardware. That's why I have the extended wings on the side of my backbox.  If I was to do it again; I would go with a smaller backglass monitor.

Thanks for the feedback. What would I do with the extra bezel space? Speakers? OR.... what if I just made the damn thing shorter...there's an idea. LOL I think I'd have to see it. I can't visualize right now

:o

I have a pin2k vpincabinet and its awesome. I purchased an original pin2k that was stripped of everything and started my build with that.

I purchased all original pin2k parts from borygard especially the NLA flipper buttons, but I just had to have them.

If I was going to build a pin2k model(which I highly recommend instead of a standard or widebody), I would just pick up a CNC'd flatpack from Greg (mameman)

He's been doing this for a while and makes nice cabs. Here is an example of a recent build.

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?33613-Star-Wars-p2k-project-Death-Star-Arcade/page4&highlight=pinball+2000

I have a 39 inch visio playfield monitor if I recall and I think the slimline 40 inch LCDs fit, but definately no bigger than that.

I have the same 24 inch AOC in the backbox and 22 inch AOC as the reflective monitor.

The DMD images you can get with the 22 inch reflective are huge and you can of course do single color or multi-color.

This is my third and favorite cab. I think the pin2k type is perfect for vpins.

the glass is expensive, but you buy it once and get a great effect with the original glass

Rob sells the glass for $129.00

http://lockwhenlit.com/products.htm

Actually think mameman is AWOL at the moment...I tried to check out his site for quotes

Do I need P2K glass? I can get glass and acrylic fairly cheap but if I need fancy glass that may price me out of it

• Content Provider

the glass is expensive, but you buy it once and get a great effect with the original glass

Rob sells the glass for $129.00

http://lockwhenlit.com/products.htm

No shipping on that though. Have you seen this done without p2k glass? What about reflective vinyl film just where the reflection will be? 

I'm told someone used regular glass and tinted the top 1/3 of the glass with a product called nightshades (if I recall).

This is sold at auto stores. I didn't see an a/b comparison, but he said "it worked"/

No shipping on that though. Have you seen this done without p2k glass? What about reflective vinyl film just where the reflection will be? 

• Content Provider

I have one of shakenbake's Pinball 2000 inspired cabinets (VPcabs.com). I don't know if he produces them any longer. It is based on mameman's design. 

It has a Westinghouse 39" 1080p for the playfield (EW39T6MZ); an AOC 24" 1080p for the backglass (E2460SWD); and an Acer 20" (1600 x 900) for the DMD (G206HL). None of these screens are de-cased.

The playfield glass is tinted but it is not an OEM glass. I think it is just some ordinary window tint. Shakenbake may be able to fill you in on the make and model of the material. I favor using OEM parts. Supporting the parts vendors helps keep the old machines going. But this solution works pretty well. I don't have the genuine article to compare to however.

1404785422.jpg

1404785731.jpg

1404785799.jpg

I really like my P2k cab, but I'd say that it is not for the faint of heart. Going for reflective images does take more work.

Pros:

1. Reflecting on the playfield surface does add a bit more depth to the illusion.

2. No bezel means that the DMD image can be stretched edge to edge providing a dramatic presentation to the display. It's got wow factor.

3. Native support for mirroring the image with VPM, B2S, and FutureDMD

Cons:

1. LEDs are not as bright as a real DMD. [i suppose that you can always mount a real DMD in the head though). Reflecting the image is not something that is going to help with brightness. With the choice of monitor, I can create a custom resolution (768 x 432), turn off ddraw, and achieve an edge to edge, pixel-perfect image with each dot uniformly sized and spaced within the matrix. But doing this again costs some more brightness compared to running the monitor at its native resolution.

2. No native support with PinballX. Any front end images that you obtain here or at VPF that you intend to display on the third monitor, you will have to flip them yourself. Any videos, you will have to re-encode. Because there is no native support, the FutureDMD plug-in only displays in reverse.

3. Pinball FX2 now allows you to move the DMD to the third screen, but you can't flip it. No native support. As slow as the commercial developers have been to support cab owners, I'm not expecting to ever see support for flipping the DMD. We are a niche within a niche. I have some ideas to try out involving real-time streaming using VLC as a server and client on the same machine employing a vertical flip filter on the client side. It's do-able in its way, but it's a matter of minimizing latency. Life would be so much easier if the developers simply added the feature. 

• Content Provider

By the way, I think the mameman design is based on a WPC standard cabinet. It is longer than the genuine Pinball 2000 cabinet. Your OEM glass might wind up being too short if you tried to just go with the mameman design without modifications.

• Content Provider

So much great info, thank you CarnyPriest. I hardly play Pinball FX2 so that's not a deal breaker at this point, and I think you can specify having the DMD in the top center of the playfield anyways so it's _like_ having the DMD reflected (not really, but you know what I mean)

I am not deterred by much, I am fine with all the customization needed, I wonder about those flashers though. I'd like to do that but think that's severely going to interfere with the DMD reflection. Does it bother you? Would you mount them differently if you made one from the ground up?

• Content Provider

Yes, or I can just move the DMD image to the backglass. That would be fine, but it would be even better to place it where it was intended to be, you know.

In those photos, I was leaning in to try to capture a good image of the DMD. The flashers are mounted rather high on that back wall. Where I usually stand I just see the reflection of the flashers. They do not interfere with the DMD. But they are just a simple LED strip attached to a sound activated controller. About a $30 solution maybe. I have the strip pulled out at the moment. I will be replacing them with Crees. We'll see what happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not AWOL, just working on other projects and family stuff. Per the website anyone can email me and I still frequent the forums. Vpcabs keeps me busy churning out cab kits, mostly std style however the p2k can still be done. You are correct, for ease i did switch over to a std wpc style base and a modded head design so the bases could be interchanged. Real p2k glass still fits. As a virtual pin the design works amazing. If ya need something just hola.

Www.xtremepinball.com

So much great info, thank you CarnyPriest. I hardly play Pinball FX2 so that's not a deal breaker at this point, and I think you can specify having the DMD in the top center of the playfield anyways so it's _like_ having the DMD reflected (not really, but you know what I mean)

I am not deterred by much, I am fine with all the customization needed, I wonder about those flashers though. I'd like to do that but think that's severely going to interfere with the DMD reflection. Does it bother you? Would you mount them differently if you made one from the ground up?

Never found the flashers impacted the reflection much.

My design puts the Dmd reflection just past the playfield so it didn't obstruct the main screen. Plus to this was you didn't need to darken the main play area. With real p2k glass you do. Darken most of the playfield a little.

Www.xtremepinball.com

• Content Provider

Not AWOL, just working on other projects and family stuff. Per the website anyone can email me and I still frequent the forums. Vpcabs keeps me busy churning out cab kits, mostly std style however the p2k can still be done. You are correct, for ease i did switch over to a std wpc style base and a modded head design so the bases could be interchanged. Real p2k glass still fits. As a virtual pin the design works amazing. If ya need something just hola. Www.xtremepinball.com

Thanks! I've sent a message on the website now inquiring about pricing and parts :)

• 1 year later...
Hello friends,

I live in Brazil and over two years already built two pinball machines, and every day can improve something on them with the help of everyone here in the forum.

I adopted a new Pinball project and now want to build one in PIN2000 model, the biggest problem is that I could not complete drawing so that I vetorize to cut into CNC.

there is a .JPG file here in the forum to download, but it is in low resolution and missing some measures that are causing me trouble.

I'm trying to rebuild the drawing in AutoCAD, but as lacking measures I am dissatisfied with my own results.

I'd like your help, someone has a complete design to the actual or approximate measures of a Pin2000 cabinet and can send me?

Please, I already have the items for the Construction Builder, will build with BAM and Kinect, LED playfield fullhd 40 "and backglass LED 26".

I appreciate the help of all.

if anyone can help me, post here or send email to [email protected].

Thank you !!

May the force be with you! ;)

Archived