All My Dmd's Are Misplaced

tanin

Hi,

For some reason, which I can't figure out, all my dmd's(on a 2 monitors setup) have moved to the left like this:

nBUdFGil.jpg

I've had them all working fine for quite some time. The only thing I can think of is that I installed Unity3d and put their vpinmame.dll in mame's folder and installed it. I tried reverting back to my old dll but it didn't solve the problem.

Also note that when I try changing the dmd's position back, it won't save.

Any ideas?

I changed the resolution of the backglass monitor in pinballx, that's it.

Dazz: very cool program. Don't think it can help me since I'm using 2 monitors, the dmd is adjusted to each backglass a little differently

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

DMD Position use X/Y Coordinates and Start at the left/up Corner at Playfield with 0,0.

To save this DMD Position, you must drag this on your RIGHT-sided or DOWN-sided Scrren on your Windows System,

so you get a positive X or Y Coordinate, if this negative (left from 0, up from 0) they cant save Position.

• 1 month later...

Recently installed VPinMAME 2.04 and then 2.05 to be able to play World Poker Tour and CSI.  Two screen cabinet, and all my DMDs are also misplaced now, mostly to the left as shown in original post.  Pressing F1 and choosing cabinet mode does let me drag/move the DMD to proper location and it stays, but it looks like I will have to do this individually for all tables? 

I have read the instructions from the VPinMAME download link that say to enable cabinet mode for all tables in one shot by exporting the regedit file, and modifiying the cabinet mode line, but this line does not appear in the regedit values until the table is started with the new PinMAME.

So, it appears that I will have to manually move each DMD to its proper location after choosing cabinet mode for each table. It seems the fastest and easiest way is to open each table, press F1, select cabinet mode, then drag the DMD to proper location. The other option would be to open each table in order to enable the cabinet mode entry to appear in each rom in regedit, export the file and modify all the cabinet mode lines, then still have to go to the table and move DMDs, seems like more work.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to do this? I have 623 VP tables loaded in my cabinet (although not all have DMDs, I would think at least half of them do), seems like an awful lot of work.

Thanks for any input, Randy

• Content Provider

Update one of the tables .. then grab the utility dmd mover - google it - and you can copy those settings to all the other tables.

Unzip it .. run VisualPinmameRegistryFix .. its in German or something but you select your fixed table (its based on the ROM name not the .vpt name) in the top box (Source) , check all the other tables in the lower box (Destination) and click the button on the bottom.

Especially important to have "default" registry item just right for any new games added.

-Daryl.

Thanks for the advice, Daryl. Might not work exactly with a two monitor setup, as the original poster said in post #4  "using 2 monitors, the DMD is adjusted to each backglass a little differently".  But, even if a good percentage of tables have the DMD in the exact same location, it would make the chore that much easier.  I'll need to look at several tables and find one that appears to have the best location for copying to others.

• Content Provider

" I'll need to look at several tables and find one that appears to have the best location for copying to others."

You should be able to right click the dmd, show boarder, adjust the dmd , un-show boarder, then use that one as a template for all the others.

I technically have a 2 monitor setup myself -- just the bottom 1/3 of my monitor is my dmd space.

I'm using backglass images for two-screen setup, they are reproductions of actual machines backglass/grill/speakers. So the grill and speaker locations are not identical for all, and the DMD location is going to vary. Does your machine have the same grill and speaker images at the bottom of the monitor for all machines?

I'm attaching two images to show an example of what I mean, Fish Tales and Playboy (alternate playboy image but speaker and grill are typical Stern for this machine). You can see where Fish Tales DMD is quite a bit larger and located higher than Playboy.

post-759-0-37320600-1418004751_thumb.jpg

post-759-0-83702400-1418004762_thumb.jpg

• Content Provider

Ah I see what you mean. Mine is 2 monitors but the dmd is always the same size below the backglass - simulating a 3 monitor setup (real speakers/grills). You would think most of the real dmd's were the same size - or perhaps by manufacturer. I guess this wont help then .. except to get it close. 

I suppose the thing is to get them  right thethen backup the registry to the file system.  

Yes, I've already thought about setting some locations by manufacturer. Bally, Williams, Stern for instance had the same size DMDs for several years of machines. Might save some effort, I just have so many tables to adjust.

I went with a two monitor setup so that I could have authentic grill and speaker images specific to machines, like the Fish Tales. Also, I started playing pinball in the early 70s, so EMs are near and dear to me. The EMs just look really strange on a 3 monitor setup, with a smaller image and grill/speaker area. Two monitor layout looks much more realistic with full size EM backglasses.

Archived