Budget Build: Will This Computer Cut It?

spaceship

I am planning a budget build of a minipin with 24" 1080p playfield and 19" for the backglass, hoping to keep it as cheap as possible.  Now I have been using a mac laptop for years so am not too sure on pc specs.  Saw this posted in my local buy and sell for $110:

Motherboard: AMD Socket AM2 Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4
Ram              : 4 Gig (2x2) PC2 6400 OCZ 5-5-5
Chip              : AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 Brisbane 2.3GHz Socket AM2 Dual-Core Processor ADH2400IAA5DO - OEM
Fan                : Thermal Take TMG A3
Video Card     : Nvidia Geoforce 8600GT 256 Meg DDR3

Will this get me going or not cut it at all?  Id like to keep it cheap for now and have the option to upgrade things later,

• Content Provider

I'm guessing it would be a start, but choke on some of the more intensive stuff. The video card is kind of light though. I have a full 1g ddr3 card, if you're interested. I was going to ebay it. Nvidia GT 220. Admittedly a lesser card, but for what you have it would probably still be the strongest link in the chain. From what I've read a full 1g video card is preferable, even if it's ddr3. I have almost the exact same thing- 25 inch 1080p, and a 19 inch bg. My ddr3 card works fine (GTX 280), but I have a much stronger mb and processor.

Keep in mind that an "upgrade" would probably mean replacement of the entire thing. You can only do so much with that mb and processor I mean.

Here's what I'm running for 2 screens:

I-5 2400k (overclocked to 3.9 ghz)

16g Patriot Ram

Nvidia GTX 280

Admittedly I love overkill, but this computer runs outside the cab, and functions as a normal desktop when the cab isn't in use. I can burn dvd's on 2 disc drives while playing my cab. :P

My systems run every table pretty much flawlessly; specs —

AMD FX Black (6 core) processor
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 mobo
4 GB RAM (that's it believe it or not)
Nvidia 550Ti for playfield
ATI HD6450 for translite and DMD (different video architectures is on purpose)
256GB SSD
Windows XP (although currently planning a full migration to 7 64 now that the Nvidia drivers are supporting FXAA)

I came to these choices after a LOT of different configuration testing. This odd mix of powerful and economic components provides maximum efficiency for VP.

Zero stutter in elaborate multiball modes or intense DOF configurations (even the new dynamically lit tables), and damn are the graphics smoooth...

BJ51x4E.jpg

xFct5lr.jpg

• 2 months later...

My systems run every table pretty much flawlessly; specs —

AMD FX Black (6 core) processor

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 mobo

4 GB RAM (that's it believe it or not)

Nvidia 550Ti for playfield

ATI HD6450 for translite and DMD (different video architectures is on purpose)

256GB SSD

WOW. Seriously well done getting flawless tables with your set-up! :)

Just 4GB? I've never used anything but 8GB...

It will be interesting to see if you have to upgrade your RAM once you switch to Win7 - just to see how much of a hog the OS really is!! :blink:

Archived