[New VP10 Alert] Back to the Future: The Pinball (Data East 1990)

• Content Provider

Back to the Future: The Pinball (Data East 1990)

"Wait a Minute, Doc. Are You Telling Me You Built a Time Machine... Out of a DeLorean?"

This Visual Pinball title has quite a legacy and it looks like it started with a JPSalas table. (this community is indebted to him in so many ways)

It was massively improved around early 2018 in a new table version which resides at version 1.4 at vpForums by the following authors: Cyberpez, rothbauerw, wrd1972, HauntFreaks, ClarkKent, dark, RustyCardores and possibly others.

Enter July 2023 and versins77 added a minimal version of nFozzy physics, Fleep sound and a few other small visual / lighting changes.  However, the game play got even better with those simple tweaks and it plays very smooth and true.

The only missing component in all of this was a great VR experience and I was working personally with versins77 so that he could send updates to his latest files.  

Alas, versins77 kind of disappeared from the VPin scene about 6 months ago leaving me with a fully functional VR hybrid Back to the Future.

I received permission from Cyberpez to upload a finalized version of the title to kind of complete the package as the game simply plays phenomenal as it is mostly due to Cyberpez's original vision.

So, I searched for the ultimate VR Room for Back to the Future and found only one 3D model that truly would fit.  DaRDog81 put it into action in Blender and it is right on theme down to the Clock Tower, Hill Valley, Delorean and all.

The VR Backglass was also animated by TastyWasps with the help of leojreimroc and hauntfreaks.  The desktop background was also improved with digital digits, an upscale and more contrast. 

The one add-on that is truly a must for this title is the awesome altsound by Apophis with help from iDigStuff.  It truly brings this title up to 88 mph with 1.21 gigawatts!

Download the altsound here and turn your speakers up to 11:
https://vpuniverse.com/files/file/6084-altsound-bttf/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DomiKamu said:

Hello,

Why "The Pinball" is in the table title?

The real table by Data East (https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=126) is named... Back to the Future, not Back to the Future: The Pinball, anyway!

Is the table is a faithful recreation of the real hardware? (or very close).

Because it's a licensed title and "The Pinball" was required by the terms of the license agreement. That's why you see it on the backglass and promo materials like the flyer, for example.

56 minutes ago, Cliffy said:

Because it's a licensed title and "The Pinball" was required by the terms of the license agreement. That's why you see it on the backglass and promo materials like the flyer, for example.

Hello Cliff (how are you?) - ah really, it's due to licensing title? (probably the movie title, because they're many tables who have unaltered names). ;) Thanks for this info.

26 minutes ago, DomiKamu said:

Hello Cliff (how are you?) - ah really, it's due to licensing title? (probably the movie title, because they're many tables who have unaltered names). ;) Thanks for this info.

yep. that was their specific requirements to get the license.