[New VP10 Alert] Cactus Canyon Continued (Bally 1998)

• Content Provider

I’m not aware of any changes. I simply used the in-game settings menu to configure the dmd years ago. I would not have even thought that decimal values would work as input in user settings, but I guess you are telling me that it does. If it helps, I use round dots and not squares for pixels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Content Provider

The project author is still updating game code. There were new commits even just a couple of hours ago. I’ve been waiting for him to get to a stopping point before releasing any VP port updates.

I haven’t tested yet. Are you saying the files called for in Install CCC.bat are 404? The project author hosts those files. He’s made some updates to assets, but in the past he’s usually kept the old files.

If you are simply updating an earlier install then that should still work. I host the update file.

If you are trying to do a new install then hang tight. If nothing else, I’ll post a beta later this week.

Thanks.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CarnyPriest said:

The project author is still updating game code. There were new commits even just a couple of hours ago. I’ve been waiting for him to get to a stopping point before releasing any VP port updates.

I haven’t tested yet. Are you saying the files called for in Install CCC.bat are 404? The project author hosts those files. He’s made some updates to assets, but in the past he’s usually kept the old files.

If you are simply updating an earlier install then that should still work. I host the update file.

If you are trying to do a new install then hang tight. If nothing else, I’ll post a beta later this week.

Thanks.

Thanks Carny, and yeah I was doing a new install and CCC.bat was complaining that it couldn't find the files. I'll hang tight, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks!

• Content Provider

Confirmed that the author is not hosting the previous assets files on his server. So an updated Install CCC.bat is really needed. The project author was still committing code this week, but I have the port up to date to commits he made up to July 4th. I've at least played through a few times, and it works quite well. The feature I'm not sure about is Last Call. It's supposed to be a multi-ball feature awarded on match. And it is supposed to launch three balls and play ends (flippers are disabled) when there is one or zero balls remaining. For me, Last Call launches one ball and the mode plays through fine until drain. Not sure if it is a bug in the game code or something with the table. The game is still very enjoyable.

Updated assets include new music for Franks N Beans Mode and some updated callouts. There is a fixed animation if the ball drains during Polly Peril. New colored Multi-ball restart animation. Fuller list of updates here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-p-roc-project/page/28#post-5069168

Consider this a beta. But as long as the project author does not change the assets, then the same bat file can be used to update the game code. I'll post a notification in this thread when I've updated the port from the main project repository. I'm mostly waiting for activity to wind down to finalize the port (at least for the time being).

Although the bat file automatically backs up and restores user_settings.yaml, I do suggest copying user_settings.yaml to another folder prior to running the bat file. The project author added some more games settings options that you may want to use - the pop bumper activity restriction. If you change your settings file with a text editor you may be very glad that you have a copy somewhere. OR you can simply use the in-game settings menu.

PS - Don't bother the project author, epthegeek, about virtual pinball on Pinside or elsewhere. He is generally happy that virtual pinball players can enjoy the game, and he generously gave express consent for the port to VPX to exist. But it should be considered an entirely separate project from his main project code. Post your bug reports here is what I'm saying.

Have a good time!

P-ROC_Offline_Installer-V3.4.zip is available in the download link in the first post.

21 minutes ago, hawkeyez88 said:

I get this error when running the install.bat. I was assuming because I was missing the ourdir under P-Roc/games, but I created that folder and still get the same thing.

This is a super finicky program to get to work. You must install it on the C drive. Are you installing to the C drive?

This is where it will reside:

c:\p-roc\games\cactuscanyon

If you can't figure it out, try to run the commands in the batch file manually to see where its bombing. I can't tell from the teeny error window you posted.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, luvthatapex said:

This is a super finicky program to get to work. You must install it on the C drive. Are you installing to the C drive?

This is where it will reside:

c:\p-roc\games\cactuscanyon

If you can't figure it out, try to run the commands in the batch file manually to see where its bombing. I can't tell from the teeny error window you posted.

Yeah installing to the C drive. I went through the script and downloaded all of the files that were in there and placed them in the folders. Still working on it. I'll post if I get it working Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

CCCfor VP port updated to self.revision = "2019.07.14" plus Jul 16 commit to complete key repeat code for in-game service menu. In other words, this is a minor update that doesn't change anything about game play. 

Current WIP code in the main project repo adds 'smart' drop targets. However, it is giving me compile errors so perhaps it is not ready yet. I'll probably wait to update again when the main project sees an official release. Could be a while. There has been no new commits in the main project for over a month.

Same Install CCC.bat from the V3.4 installer above should work to update the game code. The bat file requires wget.exe from the installer.

Did some experimenting
If this is happening to you after you use a 3.4 installer and
 want to fix it then see Note below
( When you go back to the editor it automatically closes the editor And
 causes the back glass not the close )
Note - If I use the 3.1 installer and install these files
 STEP 1 - Install Prerequisites.bat and STEP 2 - Install PROC.bat
over the top of the 3.4 Setup it no longer closes Automatically,
 Another words it works the way it should

3.1 installer -->  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tJG61n27PXE5drF-ykEedgNSVnLmCtP6/view?usp=sharing

The question is, Does that caused the game not be everything it can be
 in including fast flippers

• Content Provider

Whatever works for you. I can't say what is different with the P-Roc install files. I've only modified Install CCC.bat file. I received permission from ninuzzu to distribute the latest Step 1 and Step 2 installer files from MBPC with my updated Install CCC.bat to reflect changes to the CCC project files. Thought the changes made from the older version available at Vpinball fixed the old runtime error dialog that used to pop up, but I don't have a change log. You can run some diffs if you want to find all of the differences. FastFlips requires changes in the game code and the VPX table script. If you did not change either of these then I would expect that you have FastFlips support. FastFlips does not require any changes to the P-ROC framework.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

CCCforVP port updated to self.revision = "2019.09.07"; reinstate FastFlips (I had inadvertently overwrote the code when I updated last month); enable in-game menu tests for drop targets

The project author completed his work on "smart" drop targets. Turns out this means lighted bad guy drop targets. We don't need them because Ninuzzu's table already has an option for flashing bad guy drop targets (F6). The author accomplished this for his real table by completely replacing the existing drop targets with new hardware/added knockdown coils for each of the four targets. This is adding something extra to the table that isn't there with the stock table. As a result, with Ninuzzu's table the code throws out missing keyerrors on init. I've commented out where the new coils are defined in the game code, and the table tests Ok to me. Using Ninuzzu's table you can get to something like 'smart' drop targets by setting "Bad Guy Flashing lights" to Yes in the table's option menu (F6). In the in-game menu, the setting for DROP TARGET TYPE must be set to 'ORIGINAL' which is the default. The game code is now up to date with the main project.

The main project author is using yellow LEDs for lighting the drop targets. Ninuzzu's table uses red lights. If you want the table to better match the source machine then you will need to get into the editor and change the lamp colors. Layer 7 - Select any of the drop targets lights to highlight BadGuysLights Light(8) collection. Color - click the button and change the value of Green from 0 to 255. Full Color - click the button and change the value of Green from 113 to 255. Save the table and Play.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-p-roc-project/page/29#post-5191211

I don't know if the lights added are flashing or not.

Same Install CCC.bat from the V3.4 installer above should work to update the game code. The bat file requires wget.exe from the installer.

• 1 month later...