Addressable Rgb's

randr

Thanks for you answer, swisslizard. But.... on this page http://directoutput.github.io/DirectOutput/hardware.html there is a description of all kinds of hardware to be used together with DOF for these ledstrips. In my understanding i can use an arduino as an ARTnet/DMX controller to control those ledstrips. So hence my confusion: do i really need to buy a teensy/octows2812 combo or can i start out with my arduino's?

I'm still looking for the most workable solution given my current stack of available HW (2 arduinos and a KL25Z). Yes, i have to buy a PSU and ledstrips but can i start already with the available controllers? 

• Content Provider

The page on hardware supported by DOF is not only about controllers for ledstrips. To drive ledstrips there are the following possibilities:

• TeensystripController: Probably the best and easiest to configure solution.
  • My old LedstripController design: Also easy to configure, but no futher development planned.
  • Artnet: More complex to configure and you need a Artnet receiver which drives the strips. (DOF doesnt need know anything about that receiver since it is hidden behind Artnet). Artnet also limits you to 512 channels per Artnet universe which limits you to 170 rgb leds.

If there is no very specific requirement for Artnet (e.g. ledstrips outside of your cab), I definitively recommend a TeensyStrip controller!

The Teensy controller is currently the best solution for quite a few reasons:

• 8 channels for ledstrips
  • up to 1100 leds per channel (8800 in total)
  • simultaneos data reception and output
  • a lot of ram
  • a lot of rom
  • software mostly based on a very efficient standard lib
  • rather low price (Teensy 3.2: 19.80USD, OctoWS2812 adaptor board: 10 USD)

If you still want to go for Artnet, you can can certainly build a Artnetreceiver with a Arduino use use this to drive your strips. However, a classical Ardunio ist a bit limited in terms of speed, ram and some other things which makes it difficult to receive data and output data to the strips at the same time. This was this main reason why I have stopped the further development of my original led strip controller (which was hardwarewise a bit similar to a Arduino).

By the way, if you already know the Arduino IDE you will most likely feel comfortable with the Teensy as well. The Teensy uses the Arduino IDE for development.

In Germany it is €21.50 + 1.50-3.50 shipment expense (for the Teensy 3.2) Most dealers also have the OctoWS2812 board on stock.

Be careful, order Teensy 3.2. The older 3.1 is still sold at the same price.

Don't purchase Teensy LC, even that one is cheaper. LC = Low Cost.

The LC is great to replace Arduino for smaller projects, it can connect one (1) strip without additional OctoWS2812 adaptor board, it has full USB support, and not really that much more expensive as an Uno/Nano. But just not powerful enough for several hundred leds. If you want to use 60/Meter strips an Arduino via Art-Net should work, I used it myself for 240 leds. But the 144/Meter looks absolutely fantastic in a cabinet, much better as the big space between leds in the 60/m version.

And then you have > 500 leds, so you need more RAM, more power.

And finally, looking on the money you need to spend for 4 meter strips + PS, the additional €10 for the Teensy does not really count that much...

If you still want to use an arduino and a kl25z it is possible.. toyduino is your friend. I drive 288 leds through that but it is a  limited solution face to teensy.

I know  ;) I am going to buy the ledstrips today and will start with that solution first to get everything up-and-running. Mostly because i already have the controllers. Later i will perhaps shift to the Teensy platform. Do i also need a seperate PSU for the your Toyduino solution?

Now the most important decision: 60leds or 144leds?  :blink:

I have 72/m and am planning to use it for sides and undercab. For the back playfield I will make a matrix of 144..

I use a 2nd pc alimentation for extra power.

Those ledstrip are very hungry..

The wire you use is also important. Too small and you can literally make a fire and damage your cab and/or house.

I'm very happy that I used 144 for left and right, the animations looks so fantastic. The leds are so close to each other, that you just see one continous strip. Some tables uses leds to follow the ball movement, and part of that wow effect is the close distance between each led.

If you want to see the difference, take a look on the video published for my cabinet (this thread, Monday), that's using 144/m.

Then go to my tutorial, there are some videos on a test board, using 96/m. Looks not bad and much easier to cut and solder again.

But still I'm happy that I used the 144 inside.

About PS, it does not matter if you use Arduino or Teensy, the leds needs the power. The controller runs via USB.

I even used 550 leds via Art-Net (but on Teensy, with Arduino I tried only with 240, one strip. The first movies in the Tutorial was made with an Arduino, Art-Net and one strip with 96 leds). The xml file for 550 is huge, you need a script to create all that definitions. But it worked. Sometimes a frame was missing (I think so), but it worked surprisingly well. I used that till the USB enhanced DOF version was ready, then switched.

• Content Provider

Hi guys

Here is another small DOF update. It fixes a few small bugs: http://pinball.weile..._5772.24593.zip

If you want you can also try the following ini file for the ledstrips: http://pinball.weile...putconfig50.zip

The file has been generated using a new script which converts some data of the config tool into strip configs. The effects dont look as great as the hand made custom effects, but they are a good start and give at least a bit of action for almost all tables.

It contains effect definitions for most tables for

• Playfield Back: Emulated flashers, emulated strobes and emulated beacon (Column Nr. 1, Output Nr. 1)
  • Playfield Right: Emulated right outside flasher, shooterlane effect and ball drain effect (Column Nr. 2, Output Nr. 4)
  • Flipper Buttons: Just a single color (Column Nr. 3, Output Nr. 7)
  • Playfield Left: Emulated left outside flasher and ball drain effect  (Column Nr. 4, Output Nr. 10)

The ini file does also contain effect definitions for PinballX (for now only on PF back). The custom effects which I have done for some tables are not (yet) in this ini file. The file is just a demonstration what can be done using scripts.

If you want to change the shape for the flasher emulation, just change the shape names in the [Variables DOF] section. You can set the shape, position and size seperatly for the 5 flashers. The possible shape names can be found in the xml file with the shape definitions in the dof package.

I'm currently working on batch update scripts for the config tool, so all those configs can be put into the config tool in one go.

i tried (fast)the ini and the playfield left is always on.. the color changes with the table but doesn't get off

That's so cool to have the effect on every tables.. B)

I will try to change the shape of flashers tomorrow (i find the flasher a bit small  :) )

The leds are also still on when leaving the table  ;)

• Content Provider

If PF leftz is always on, you are probably using the configs mit the buttons instead of the PF left configs. CHeck the output numbers in the post above and adjust the ledwizequivalent accordingly for the correct effects.

Regarding the leds which stay on when DOF exits:

Please check the log of there are any exceptions during the termination of DOF. If you find something please post the exception message, so I can check the code.

If PF leftz is always on, you are probably using the configs mit the buttons instead of the PF left configs. CHeck the output numbers in the post above and adjust the ledwizequivalent accordingly for the correct effects.

Regarding the leds which stay on when DOF exits:

Please check the log of there are any exceptions during the termination of DOF. If you find something please post the exception message, so I can check the code.

You are right  ;)  i was using buttons.. much better now.

I looked at the shapes.. it is amazing to imagine what number of associations that can be done. :)

for the on leds, here is the end of my log:

2015.10.22 21:07:29.942	Framework initialized.
2015.10.22 21:07:29.942	Have fun! 
2015.10.22 21:07:30.043	TeensyStripController LedStripController updater thread  has connected to TeensyStripController LedStripController.
2015.10.22 21:07:30.184	Debug: Disposing LedWiz instance 08.
2015.10.22 21:08:17.798	Finishing framework
2015.10.22 21:08:17.798	Finishing cabinet
2015.10.22 21:08:17.798	Debug: Finishing output controllers
2015.10.22 21:08:17.814	TeensyStripController LedStripController updater thread  has disconnected from TeensyStripController LedStripController and will terminate.
2015.10.22 21:08:17.814	TeensyStripController LedStripController finished and updater thread stopped.
2015.10.22 21:08:17.814	Debug: Finishing LedWiz Nr. 08
2015.10.22 21:08:17.814	Updater thread for LedWiz 08 terminated.
2015.10.22 21:08:17.814	LedWiz Nr. 08 finished and updater thread stopped.
2015.10.22 21:08:17.814	Debug: Output controllers finished
2015.10.22 21:08:17.814	Cabinet finished
2015.10.22 21:08:17.814	DirectOutput framework finished.
2015.10.22 21:08:17.814	Bye and thanks for using!