Addressable Rgb's

randr

• Content Provider

Another small DOF update.

http://pinball.weilenmann.net/DirectOutput_V0.9_Build_5850.21660.zip

Changes:

• Logging is now on by default (can still be disabled on global config).
  • Frontend main window does now show the path where DOF is installed.

Both changes have been done, to help all those new DOF users having trouble to get DOF properly installed. In many cases those problems where caused by multiple B2S.Server installations on the same cab and VP starting another B2S.Server/DOF instance than yoe users thought. These changes should make it easier to detect such problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Im Stump on how to get this working I've read this thread and dof pages a couple times and im just lost

im running teensy 3.2 

both sides of playfield have 64 leds

and have four strips on backfield

33, 51,30,30

when i run a table i see the teensy light flashing rapidly and i get one strip of lights on one backfield strip come on and stay on

if anyone can point me in right direction on figuring out what i have wrong

Thanks

Chris

here is my files

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgsfmmdgrb30kbn/Pinball.7z?dl=0

Hi chernandez,

had a look in your files not shure but try this one as globalconfig file

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Cabinet xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <Name>None</Name>
   <OutputControllers>
    <TeensyStripController>
     <Name>TeensyStripController</Name>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip1>248</NumberOfLedsStrip1>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip2>0</NumberOfLedsStrip2>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip3>0</NumberOfLedsStrip3>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip4>0</NumberOfLedsStrip4>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip5>0</NumberOfLedsStrip5>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip6>0</NumberOfLedsStrip6>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip7>0</NumberOfLedsStrip7>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip8>0</NumberOfLedsStrip8>
      <ComPortName>COM5</ComPortName>
    </TeensyStripController>
   </OutputControllers>
   <Toys>
      <LedStrip>
      <Name>PF Right</Name>
      <Width>1</Width>
      <Height>64</Height>
      <LedStripArrangement>RightLeftBottomUp</LedStripArrangement>
      <ColorOrder>GRB</ColorOrder>
      <FirstLedNumber>1</FirstLedNumber>
      <FadingCurveName>SwissLizardsLedCurve</FadingCurveName>
      <OutputControllerName>TeensyStripController</OutputControllerName>
    </LedStrip>
    <LedStrip>
      <Name>PF Back</Name>
      <Width>30</Width>
      <Height>4</Height>
      <LedStripArrangement>LeftRightBottomUp</LedStripArrangement>
      <FirstLedNumber>65</FirstLedNumber>
    </LedStrip>
	<LedStrip>
      <Name>PF Left</Name>
      <Width>1</Width>
      <Height>64</Height>
      <LedStripArrangement>LeftRightBottomUp</LedStripArrangement>
      <FirstLedNumber>185</FirstLedNumber>
    </LedStrip>
   <LedWizEquivalent>
   <Name>LedWizEquivalent 30</Name>
    <Outputs>
    <LedWizEquivalentOutput>
     <OutputName>PF Back</OutputName>
     <LedWizEquivalentOutputNumber>1</LedWizEquivalentOutputNumber>
    </LedWizEquivalentOutput>    
    <LedWizEquivalentOutput>
     <OutputName>PF Left</OutputName>
     <LedWizEquivalentOutputNumber>4</LedWizEquivalentOutputNumber>
    <LedWizEquivalentOutput>
     <OutputName>PF Right</OutputName>
     <LedWizEquivalentOutputNumber>10</LedWizEquivalentOutputNumber>
   </Outputs>
   <LedWizNumber>30</LedWizNumber>
   </LedWizEquivalent>
   </Toys>
 <AutoConfigEnabled>true</AutoConfigEnabled>
</Cabinet>

with this you bach will only have 120 led 4 rows a 30 led. When using a teensy you i think you don't need a driectoutputconfig20.ini, hope this help you a little.

karlzon

• Content Provider

Hi

Has a quick look at your config files.

The problem seems to be in the cabinet config.

You have several toys which are all named "PF Back". DOF does not allow this. Toy names must be unique!

Make sure you have only 1 PF Back toys, with the actual number of rows and columns you have on your PF back.

The ledstrip toys should not care if the strips are connected to several different outputs of the controller. From a toy perspective there is always only one long strip which covers all outputs. To get the FirstLedNr you'll have to sum up the number of leds on all channels before the one which has to led you want to reference, e.g. to get the 4th led on the 3rd channel you have to calculate the following: NumberOfLedsOnChannel1 + NumberOfLedsOnChannel2 + 4

All the best

Tom

Most of the problems in configuration are in the cabinet.xml and/or control.ini configuration

Revise those files. there are a lot of examples here to copy from, I think I have uploaded mine. You can use that as a example to configure yours.

After you get your hear around how it works it will be easy. Good luck :)

The only thing that can interfere with the strips is DOF, nothing to do with VPmame/VPX.

As said by randr check your connections, use a multimeter in continuity mode to check, be sure nothing is loose, cross, bad connection, etc.

Post your last/current cabinet xml, screenshot of dof config tool, and strip configuration (cab placement), number of strips and leds.

• 2 months later...

here is a new ini file with every tables present in config tool.

I took Swiss's ini file in my private config and added the missing tables from 5 flasher conf.

also added flipper button Mx.

I used variables so as we can use the shapes

direct10.png

The config used is

port 1 back playfield Mx

port 4 right playfield Mx

port 7 left playfield Mx

port 10 flipper button Mx

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98865673/directoutputconfig30.ini

• Content Provider

Love randr's videos showing addressable LED strips on a matrix using DOF. I have some questions as I will be starting to go the controlled lighting and feedback route for my cabinet.

I’ve read through the Teensy site about setting about the addressable leds here:

https://www.pjrc.com/store/octo28_adaptor.html

…and I’ve read all sorts of bits from Swisslizard and everyone here.

Tell me if I have this right…   to have the led matrix around the playfield, all you need for hardware is?:

-WS2812 led strips (whatever # of leds per meter I can afford)

-Teensy 3.2

-OctoWS2811 Adapter board, and connector pins

-5V power supply to power the Teensy and LED strips  (I have a spare ATX power supply 350W)

-cat 6 network cable (from adapter board to LED strips)

-anything else? no octo’s or resistors or anything else needed? and is this because of the Teensy itself, or more because of the leds?

Is this how its all connected?:

-the led strips are connected by two wires (via Cat 6) from the teensy adapter board to the DATA and GND of the right-playfield strip….which then connects to the back-playfield matrix, which then connects to the left-playfield strip… all seen as one “led strip” by the Teensy. Then you connect 5VDC from your power supply to the 5V “ends” of your strips to make sure they are getting enough power throughout.

-all of this is controlled by DOF R3

My other question is:

-is there any way to make use of these addressable leds in Future Pinball?

– ….or is using another set of leds (5 rgb led bar, normal RGB LED strips, etc) connected to an LED-Wiz the ONLY option for controlled lighting for Future Pinball…  I just don’t want to buy more led lighting if I don’t need to.

Having feedback and lighting for Future Pinball is important for me, so I’m guessing that I would have the addressable leds for VP, and some other normal leds for FP elsewhere on the cabinet?

Also, be honest… is the back LED matrix TOO bright even at the lowest brightness? The effect is really cool, but I want to actually see the playfield screen and not be blinded… and would a single strip at the back playfield still be effective? (I know the animations would be scaled)

I was thinking of having an LED-Wiz for: 5 normal RGB LEDs or strips (for FP), and all of my solenoids, fan, beacon, strobes,etc for FP and VP.  Zebs optp flipper board for flippers for everything (FP,VP,PFX2,TPA).  Addressable LEDS for VP.

What do you think?  I don’t want to make a big purchase without knowing as much as I can.

Thank you very much for your amazing work. Any information is helpful.

Hardware list:

yes, right.

You need also an USB cable to connect Teensy to PC, I assume this is obvious.

Not sure about your ATX power, this is suppost to deliver 12V and 5V, not sure how that works if you only use one line.

I've spend $20 to purchase a 5V 12A supply. Much smaller and easier to handle as well.

> -the led strips are connected by two wires

yes

> all seen as one “led strip” by the Teensy.

no. It can be done like that, but then you loose much of the power of the Octo concept.

I have 4 lines. You can use up to 8.

I have 128 LED's on left, and 128 on right, so that's two lines.

Then I have 4x72 as center, connected always two together, so another two lines of 144.

That reduce the time needed to drive the LEDs. You can daisy chain up to 1000, so you should be good with a single line, but by working in parallel you increase fps.

As the Cat6 cable has 8 cables, 4 pairs, that's why I went for 4 lines. That's for free, no extra charge :-)

> Future Pinball

sorry, no idea

> Also, be honest… is the back LED matrix TOO bright even at the lowest brightness? 

nope. In the beginning I had errors in my Teensy script (I started before the official firmware was available) and so had more more LED's active as supposed. That was too bright.

But it is very easy in the configuration to lower the intensity. I went with 10%.

Now, with the 'good' firmware, I run with 50%. I don't like it as bright, as I usually play in a dark room.

You can easily reduce brightness, don't worry.

If you reduce to minimum, the LED's are just glowing.

I use that for Tron, to mirror the color of the tubes on both sides, so they are often on. Fantastic look, and I run the LED's with about 10% power. (yes, you can increase/decrease the brightness in total, for a given color, or for a given effect).

• Content Provider

Thanks Westworld, very helpful.

I got the Teensy, Adapter, and pins shipped today. Just need to figure out what LED strips (they will be 144/m for sure) and PSU I’ll buy.

I’m also wondering… has anyone else has tried using any aluminum profile / railing for leds at all? There are so many different shapes or railing (flat, angled, curved, etc) and types of lenses (clear, diffused, milky, frosted, opaque, etc).

See, for me, my TV isn’t inserted into a routed channel in my cabinet. It literally lays on top of the inside rails with almost no room to move.  This lighting will have to be installed AFTER my TV is placed into the cabinet. If I need to remove the TV afterward, then I need to be able to remove the LED strips fairly easily. So I can’t just have them stuck on the sides.  So I was either going to mount the side strips on thin backboard with vinyl wrap on it (like my DMD bezels), and mount them with screws, or use some kind of aluminum or plastic railing.

I don’t have the different types to compare, but would a diffused lens be a good option, or would it cut down too much on the vibrant colour?  Also would a flat rail cut out too much of the side light for beside the playfield…  would an angled one shine too much in your face, etc…

Any suggestions, or links, etc, would be sooo helpful as I want to order the leds and psu so I can concentrate on solenoids, relays, or other stuff for the feedback portion.

See, for me, my TV isn’t inserted into a routed channel in my cabinet. It literally lays on top of the inside rails with almost no room to move.  

Nearly the same for me. I used the router and used a 12mm tool, set for 3mm deep. (that's about 1/2 inch wide, let's say a little more than 1/10 inch deep). 

Now the tricky part. Removed glas. Removed TV. Asked a friend to hold a vacuum cleaner to get the most dirt. Setup the router and hoped for the best, on both sides. And it worked quite well, except the last 5-7 cm at the end/rear. I needed to smooth that by hand.

Then I glued the LED's directly into the wood - without any front. Looks surprisingly great.

Only for the back/rear I mounted them on a piece of wood and added a plastic sheet on top. I used blank/clear plastik and sanded it, to get it diffused. I think I posted an image in this thread, some months ago.

Benefit: I do not need to remove the LED's every time I remove the TV. And it looks very neat.

But it was a little bit scaring to use the router on the finished cabinet. Would have been so much easier when I had build it...

• Content Provider

I would like to do that, but I don't have a router, and unfortunately the joystick controls,etc makes it impossible to get close enough to route far enough on each end. Also, I have vinyl wrap on each side which is an issue...

What I may do is cut another piece of mdf to match the "sides" of the inside of the cabinet where the led strips would go. It would also cover the bezels of the TV.  Then I would "route" (with my table saw) a channel for the led strip in that piece and then cover it with the carbon fibre vinyl wrap to match the rest of the cab....then pop the led strip in there. I could also put some kind of tinted plexi cover on this piece covering the leds if I wanted,.

To mount it, I just plug in the led strip, put the whole assembly in place and screw it on with two screws, and cover the screws with black caps. Then when I one day get glass for the cabinet the extra piece of mdf will be covered by a black painted bezel (or more vinyl wrap) on the glass so you won't even see it.   That might actually work.... hmmmm....

So close to ordering the strips today....

• Content Provider

Ok....I did it!

I ordered:

-all the Teensy bits (already on its way)

-6 meters of (black strip) 144/m addressable leds

-5V 60A PSU

-5 meters of regular RGB led strips 60/m

-x2 strobes

-x10 led mini amplifiers (for regular led strips and strobes)

-led strip adapters / cables

-x1 large plunger button

-a bunch of 1n4007 diodes for solenoids

Still to get:

-x1 led-wiz

-sainsmart 16 relay board (not usb version)

-x10 solenoids

-fuses / blocks

-terminal blocks

-beacon (s)

-plunger assy (mechanical only)

-slider pot for plunger to x360 gamepad control

-blower fan

....oh boy!

• 1 month later...
  • Content Provider

OK, swisslizard and other fellow DOF gurus. My parts are finally here (mostly) and I'm going to start installing this weekend.

What I am installing:

-ledwiz

-sainsmart 16 relay (non usb)

-10 solenoids / diodes

-strobes

-red/blue led beacons

-blower fan (not ordered yet, any suggestions?)

-x5 rgb led strips (5 flasher equivalent)

-x2 psu, 12v, 5v

-teensy assy

-6 meters of 144/m addressable leds

I have d2bs server running and my tables are already running with d2bs backglasses running fine. I have never had DOF running before, and I'm starting from scratch for anything DOF related.

What I really need to know is, do I need to generate my own config files,etc that are required from scratch? Or does the DOF config tool take care of most of that? Including addressable led strips?

Can I have the right strip, matrix, and left strip have their own individual data connection from the teensy, or do I have to have the data line run continuous throughout the entire led strip assembly? I will need to be able to remove each of these led strips easily by a plug (if I want to remove my TV), so I want to install them the easiest way possible to accommodate that.

I want to make sure I'm doing this the most clean and proper way possible, and there's ALOT of info to sort out on the DOF guide.

Any help is greatly appreciated....

Thanks! I'm excited!