image.thumb.png.05e74e2e15859e4242254fad337ac0e7.png

image.thumb.png.845f27630f8cea688fbb531e5815c901.png

image.thumb.png.7676b24dd8f5b24e1d9eff77dc77d615.png

I can't think of how many hours I have spent colorizing the various modes and screens, they look pretty good I think when I hook them up to the DMD and view them live. 

I really don't understand how to do the masking required for so many of the screens or if I have created the correct keyframes. It would be cool to see if I could get any of this uploaded and tried out on the machine, but I don't understand how to do that either.

Would this work be helpful to someone that knows more about this than I do?

Thanks for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems the only thing I am able to do is colorize. Masking screens with scoring or with dynamic parts infront of animations is still beyond my abilities.  So I thought I might try my hand at some custom animations that don't have these dynamic parts.  Here is an animation of the Hole in One or Missed Hole in One screens. The originals were very basic. Now if I could just figure out how to make keyframes and then import them to the SD card.

On a side note, I can't make the custom pallete stay with the new editor. The previous one had an apply button that would apply the color pallete, but that doesn't exist in the new version, is there a new help document?

• Content Provider
11 hours ago, TimBoch said:

On a side note, I can't make the custom pallete stay with the new editor. The previous one had an apply button that would apply the color pallete, but that doesn't exist in the new version, is there a new help document?

It is now here 

45e850bd25f1a2a86d07ccdd83b00c4b33af7210.png

11 hours ago, TimBoch said:

Seems the only thing I am able to do is colorize. Masking screens with scoring or with dynamic parts infront of animations is still beyond my abilities.  So I thought I might try my hand at some custom animations that don't have these dynamic parts.  He

That is a good start ! Colorize all non dynamic scenes and then share the project with me. I will show you the next step then. 

Thanks for the help. I'll keep at my colorizing.  I made a spreadsheet to catagorize my recordings and different bookmarks. I then connected those with the scenes and palettes that I have been using to colorize. Finally, when I figure out Keyframes, I will connect those to the recordings and scenes. The notes are for anything, but mostly why I haven't gone forward with creating a scene because of dynamic on screen parts, or needing to mask areas.

image.png

Edited by TimBoch

• 1 month later...

Looking good. I think I am probably working with a similar understanding of all of this as you are with the one I'm working on.

I'm understanding a bit more as my project moves on and hopefully I'll have a good understanding by the end of it.

I was thinking that if I get an understanding of it all I might do a tutorial or guide of some sort but at this stage I still don't know enough to be confident that I'd get it right.

• 1 month later...

Wow. Some great progress with the editor tonight. It has helped me compelete my colorization to what I am able to do. I still haven't figured out how to do the scenes with dynamic scoring or masking. I also, could use some help with making keyframes and finally uploading it back into my DMD.
This new editor sure helped colorize faster and find missed or skipped areas!!

Original colorizing effort (which I think looked pretty poor)
image.thumb.png.d65bcc08c94e1768be944d08fc784a5d.png
New pasting of actual graphic (which I think look pretty great)
image.thumb.png.2803dac9207b5429250fc8e018fcd58c.png

Thanks for all the great work.

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, TimBoch said:

I still haven't figured out how to do the scenes with dynamic scoring or masking. I also, could use some help with making keyframes and finally uploading it back into my DMD.

First try to colorize the dynamic scenes in ColMask mode. I can help you with triggers etc. Gottlieb is a bit tricky there.

Hello Joerg,

Thank you for the reply. I think things are getting close to trying to create the keyframes to trigger the scene changes for the scenes I have colorized. I have not been able to get a grip of using the ColMask mode to try and do the dynamic scenes where scores or values are on screen with an animation however. Is it possible to try and make keyframes for what I have colorized so far and add the dynamic scenes later?

Also, I was looking at my version of firmware when my machine started yesterday and I noticed that it must have been version 2.41 when the display was made and shipped to me.  Do I need to update this prior to trying to import the custom files to the SD card?  If so, are there updated instructions about how to update the firmware, the pdf files I downloaded when I first got my pin2dmd are dated and the links in the firmware thread no longer work.

Thanks again for all your patience and help.

Tim

Spent an hour trying to get the ST Link to launch to install the updated firmware and was never able to get it to connect. When first connected it looked like it was installing the drivers. This is very confusing and frustrating.   I am also no longer able to try and view my colorization scenes on the DMD as it comes up with an error message. 

No idea where to go next with this.

• Content Provider

I think you used the wrong USB port. ST-Link is the mini USB which is used for firmware update. The user port is the micro USB on the other side which is used with the editor. Check your device manager what comes up in  the moment you plug in one of the USB connectors and correct the drivers. The user port driver can be installed using zadig utility from my github. The ST-Link driver is in the ST-Link folder.

I was using a USB mini cord connected to the USB mini connector.  I have used the USB micro connector when I did my dumps to do my colorizations, so I do know the difference.

So unless the USB mini requires a specific kind of mini cord, which doesn't seem to make sense since it actually installed the drivers when it was connected to my laptop, or there is some issue with the ST Link software on my Windows 8.1 laptop, I have no idea where to go or if I can update my firmware to 2.5.

I appreciate your time and help trying to get this to work for me, but it sure doesn't seem as easy as the instructions describe.

Thank you again for any help you can give.

Well this was a nightmare. If I hadn't accidentally seen a window that launched behind everything that was open trying to make this work, I would never have noticed it was having compatibility issues. I ran the windows 8 compatibility and it selected one that actually allowed ST Link to connect. Windows can be a major pain in the ...  But the instructions didn't describe any of what I had to do to get this done.

Now back to being confused about trying to get the colorizing done and hopefully uploaded some time.

27783223_10211337402611381_1179490104_n.jpg?oh=ebc4307d1a1eb04738d607641a220c99&oe=5A7E543A27939442_10211337403371400_1381502263_n.jpg?oh=80119e3afc3085446da75a231aaef344&oe=5A7F640027783391_10211337404211421_1031337465_n.jpg?oh=a1f7869c4a94ad621550ae9cc948569c&oe=5A7E3B1927783141_10211337405771460_413288339_n.jpg?oh=a9e656007a1d95248c349ae2feca0c46&oe=5A7E4C32

• 4 months later...

I have finally decided the time to come to actually get some keyframes made and see if I can get them to work in the game. First I removed the SD card from the dmd since I couldn't access it when connecting the USB to my laptop. I made a backup of the 2 original files and then copied over my pal and sfq files. I then restarted the dmd and saw that for the most part, the keyframes worked pretty well. I really like the new attract screen scroll.  With this successful first test, I have started adding more keyframes. Most have worked pretty well, some not so much, but I am encouraged going forward.  I will try and make a better video showing more colorizatoins such as my custome Hole in One or No Hole in One scenes.

Here is a more complete Attract Mode Video.  If I could only figure out how to do masks and the dynamic scenes where animations are behind scores or words, I think this project could be done in a very short time.

It looks like Lucky has offered to help a couple times, you may want to take him up on that.   That is primarily what I did on the WCS 94 colorization also.  

Masking and dynamic scenes aren't normally too hard once you get a feel for them.      Lets use the score screen as an example.    You will want to start by finding a score frame in the recording and make a 1-frame "animation" out of it.      With most projects that have 4-color original DMDs,  you are looking to draw "blocks" that shift the colors from the 1-4 spots in the palette to other groups.    

So lets say I start with this:

5b3506a50accc_ScreenShot2018-06-28at9_01_23AM.thumb.png.65409427a66e3c1f71559829f35fd837.png

This is the "plain" 4 color DMD.  The darker pixels currently have a red hue because of the first 4 palette entries.      But in color mask mode, I can "shift" them to the other 3 palette groups.    You start by picking "Color mask" as indicated by the red arrow.     Then you pick one of the circled colors and "draw" over the frame (I usually use the filled square).   

5b3505b4c3daa_ScreenShot2018-06-28at8_41_28AM.thumb.png.d2806b8561186332ba3279193bc3b6b8.png 

This is a very powerful colorization technique because it does not lose the dynamic content coming from the DMD, it is only altering colors in certain locations.   The message in the above screen could change  and it doesn't matter, the colors are kept. 

But along those lines, we need to identify the proper time to use this colorization.   That's when the *border* is there.     Check "d-mask" on the right and move the number up until you find an empty mask.   Empty masks will be all blue.    You can then click the inverse button, pick the second color, and draw an appropriate area.   In this case I'm going to use the upper right corner.   More on that later. 

5b3516f21c4a2_ScreenShot2018-06-28at10_04_40AM.thumb.png.ed485076ac8c6474ef0440369f27b29d.png

Now you can create the keyframe with the mask you drew.   The mask will turn red (which means you can no longer change it) and you'll see Mx in the keyframe checksum.    Now any time a frame with this border shows up I will get my color mask colorization, it doesn't matter what the message is (as you can see above, I keyed off a different frame than I colored).       If you wonder why I chose such a small area, it's because there are a very limited number of masks.   The more "generic" I make that mask, the higher the probability is that I can re use it for different things.     The pixels it selects need to be specific though, you don't want it detecting at the wrong time.   If the pixels picked in the preview area are all white for example, that's probably not going to work well. 

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, adamstillman said:

looks cool, hows this project coming along?

It keeps progressing. I have been hung up trying to get one of the scenes that disolves into another to work in a way that I like. I have 95% of it but the first part doesn't launch right.  I still need to try and use some of the advanced editing methods posted here to try and get the dynamic scenes done, but that is a small portion of scenes compared to the main videos that come up. 

• 1 month later...