New to the hobby

Hi All, wanted to reach out and introduce myself as I am new to the hobby and am very excited to learn more about vpx.  I grew up playing pinball in local arcades in the 80s and the nostalgia experienced from seeing some of the table recreations on here is intense.  Thank you to all who have put this site together and for all the hard work that has gone into making the vpx community.

Right now my plan is to learn as much as possible, I have an arcade1up pinball that I'd like to fully mod down the road but need to get everything running smoothly on pc first.  So far I have downloaded baller installer, the two tables that were included run flawlessly but have not been able to get any other downloaded tables to run properly.  I have also tried to follow the youtube vid of updating vpx from github but am still receiving error messages.

Please let me know a good starting point to educate myself on properly downloading tables, I know the learning curve is steep and I'm not the most tech-savvy individual but am determined and would really appreciate the help.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, surfthreeeleven said:

Hi All, wanted to reach out and introduce myself as I am new to the hobby and am very excited to learn more about vpx.  I grew up playing pinball in local arcades in the 80s and the nostalgia experienced from seeing some of the table recreations on here is intense.  Thank you to all who have put this site together and for all the hard work that has gone into making the vpx community.

Right now my plan is to learn as much as possible, I have an arcade1up pinball that I'd like to fully mod down the road but need to get everything running smoothly on pc first.  So far I have downloaded baller installer, the two tables that were included run flawlessly but have not been able to get any other downloaded tables to run properly.  I have also tried to follow the youtube vid of updating vpx from github but am still receiving error messages.

Please let me know a good starting point to educate myself on properly downloading tables, I know the learning curve is steep and I'm not the most tech-savvy individual but am determined and would really appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Peace,

Welcome to the community.  My best suggestion is to put any questions in YouTube.  You'll probably find a video addressing your question.  Once you learn this website, you'll find the various places here in the forums to ask questions.  Good luck in your quest.  I think this is an awesome hobby.

Edited by PIPAllah

Thanks PIPAllah! I appreciate the warm welcome.  Have been watching youtube videos and figured out how to get one dl table fully working with the correct B2s and rom files added in the correct folders.

Quick question - I'm working on Adams Family and runs fine however there isn't any music or sound effects.  Only the table sounds (flipper, ball rolling, etc.) are working.  I've tried troubleshooting the audio settings in vpx but haven't been able to figure out.  What am I missing?

Edited by surfthreeeleven

Hey Surf, I'm also new and had the same problem.  Must tables seem to be have the sound issue. I was able to fix the some tables by pressing the END key and adjusting the volume up or down with the 8 and 9 keys.  Plus and minus keys  will adjust table sounds. Not sure if its the same for Adams Family.  I hope this works for  you.

On 2/3/2024 at 12:42 PM, surfthreeeleven said:

Thanks PIPAllah! I appreciate the warm welcome.  Have been watching youtube videos and figured out how to get one dl table fully working with the correct B2s and rom files added in the correct folders.

Quick question - I'm working on Adams Family and runs fine however there isn't any music or sound effects.  Only the table sounds (flipper, ball rolling, etc.) are working.  I've tried troubleshooting the audio settings in vpx but haven't been able to figure out.  What am I missing?

Peace,

YouTube is your friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on2hTaou0gM&t=24s

• 2 months later...

Hey all! I'm not sure if you all found your answer in the setup video or otherwise.

I'm also new! And had a similar issue with Medieval Madness. Turns out that some tables have a "base" rom, as well as the rom for the table. So in my case, the table page said the rom was mm_109c.... and I got table sounds, but no effects / music. Turns out there is a "base" rom called mm_10 that I ALSO needed. I put both in the vpinmame Roms folder and everything worked!

Something to look for / try!