Backglasses for VP 10.7.4

Hello all,

I have installed VP 10.7.4 into the same folder as the previous one hoping to hang on to the b2s backglasses. I have tried to regester the B2S server but no backglass is displayed when I run up the new version. I seem to remember that I did have some configuration hassle with the older VPX program but got it to work eventually.

The only difference is the image name. Perhaps I should rename the new version after archiving the old one??

Any help would be gratefully received.

when b2s server won't register it can be due to not having the b2stablesettings.xml in the same folder. A corrupt xml will also stop it in it's tracks... ask me how I know :) Here is a clean, minimal b2stablesettings.xml if you like. Just rename it by deleting the -CLEAN in the file name

B2STableSettings-CLEAN.xml

2 hours ago, Tikimaster said:

Are you on a fresh windows? .net installed?

Nope - The previous version has been running the backglasses without any issues (once I got my head around how it worked!). I tried renaming the new version (VPinballX64.exe) to the old name (VpinballX.exe) but that did not fool it. I have never had to re-register the software when I have updated the version in the past.

The latest table I downloaded is a brilliant rendition of Buckaroo. That version must expect the backglass as there are no counters on the main screen.

2 minutes ago, germarsh said:

Nope - The previous version has been running the backglasses without any issues (once I got my head around how it worked!). I tried renaming the new version (VPinballX64.exe) to the old name (VpinballX.exe) but that did not fool it. I have never had to re-register the software when I have updated the version in the past.

The latest table I downloaded is a brilliant rendition of Buckaroo. That version must expect the backglass as there are no counters on the main screen.

copy your existing b2stablesettings.xml somewhere else as a backup. Rename the existing b2stablesettings.xml by adding a .hold to the end. Download the clean one I posted above and rename to b2stablesettings.xml.
Make sure directb2s is named exactly the same as the tables filename.  In the case of Buckaroo it should be Buckaroo (Gottlieb 1965)_Teisen_MOD.directb2s

Make sure you have the .res file exactly the same as well. In the case of Buckaroo it should be Buckaroo (Gottlieb 1965)_Teisen_MOD.res

At this point you can test if the b2s server is installed correctly by simply double clicking on the directb2s file. The backglass should pop up. If it does pop up but not in the place you wanted then edit the ,res file or use b2sscreenresidentifier.exe to position and size the screen(s) and save. It will update the .res file. 

If it doesn't pop up then you need to run B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe

5 minutes ago, Cliffy said:

copy your existing b2stablesettings.xml somewhere else as a backup. Rename the existing b2stablesettings.xml by adding a .hold to the end. Download the clean one I posted above and rename to b2stablesettings.xml.
Make sure directb2s is named exactly the same as the tables filename.  In the case of Buckaroo it should be Buckaroo (Gottlieb 1965)_Teisen_MOD.directb2s

Make sure you have the .res file exactly the same as well. In the case of Buckaroo it should be Buckaroo (Gottlieb 1965)_Teisen_MOD.res

At this point you can test if the b2s server is installed correctly by simply double clicking on the directb2s file. The backglass should pop up. If it does pop up but not in the place you wanted then edit the ,res file or use b2sscreenresidentifier.exe to position and size the screen(s) and save. It will update the .res file. 

If it doesn't pop up then you need to run B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe

Thank you - I shall give that a try. I admit I thought it strange that the backglass appeared when using the older version as the name of the table and directb2s files differ.

Ah - I obviously have a gap in my knowledge as the folder containing all the VPX tables has not one .res file!

I think I had better learn again how this hangs together. I tried with the clean version of b2stablesettings.xml but that hasn't worked. I wonder if the new version of the exe file needs some link somewhere.

I have also renamed the backglass to match the table. Old version still works; new one doesn't.

34 minutes ago, germarsh said:

Ah - I obviously have a gap in my knowledge as the folder containing all the VPX tables has not one .res file!

I think I had better learn again how this hangs together. I tried with the clean version of b2stablesettings.xml but that hasn't worked. I wonder if the new version of the exe file needs some link somewhere.

I have also renamed the backglass to match the table. Old version still works; new one doesn't.

if there is a screenres.txt in that folder the b2sserver will use that instead of the res. rename the screenres.txt and try again. Make sure youre using the latest greatest b2s server too

This is the newest release version https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass/releases/tag/v2.1.0

I have just discovered that I have two lots of the B2S files. One collection is in the original Tables folder under Visual Pinball whilst the other is in a _VPX folder under Tables.

I suspect that is where the problem lies.

I am going to backup everything and try a fresh installation of the latest server.

As an ex software engineer who has written in many program languages, including assembler, I take my hat off to all of you! Visual Pinball and its associated programs are a beautiful combination of art and science.

1 minute ago, germarsh said:

I have just discovered that I have two lots of the B2S files. One collection is in the original Tables folder under Visual Pinball whilst the other is in a _VPX folder under Tables.

I suspect that is where the problem lies.

I am going to backup everything and try a fresh installation of the latest server.

As an ex software engineer who has written in many program languages, including assembler, I take my hat off to all of you! Visual Pinball and its associated programs are a beautiful combination of art and science.

Just delete the _vpx folder under tables.  NO folders should exist under Tables *except* the game folders if you use a separate folder for each game, as I do.

I created the folder to differentiate between the tables for the different versions. I needn't have bothered as the file extensions are different! I think I will just move the vpx tables into Tables. I also note that many of the old .vpt tables are in their own folders with related files. I really wish I stuck to a convention!

I am now backup up the whole damn shooting match!!