First time VPX newbie

Hi Pinnie universe , grow up in the eighties and first job was working in a pool hall with arcade and pinball machines, i have a deep appreciation and fascination  of pinball machines , have visited las vegas pinball museum twice and loved it, i have after many many years of uming and  arrhing i have finally  purchased my first  vpx full size table ( albeit with no cpu or tables) my question is is it worth buying a ssd harddrive with playfields and what is the best programme/interface/emulator to run, also is there bally bingo table available - many thanks vx pinnie newbie

• Administrators
21 hours ago, craigo said:

Hi Pinnie universe , grow up in the eighties and first job was working in a pool hall with arcade and pinball machines, i have a deep appreciation and fascination  of pinball machines , have visited las vegas pinball museum twice and loved it, i have after many many years of uming and  arrhing i have finally  purchased my first  vpx full size table ( albeit with no cpu or tables) my question is is it worth buying a ssd harddrive with playfields and what is the best programme/interface/emulator to run, also is there bally bingo table available - many thanks vx pinnie newbie

First off... @craigo Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Secondly... Purchasing anything that has software pre-installed, or buying pack downloads, or purchasing pre-install harddrives goes against everything this hobby is about.  It is ILLEGAL for anyone to be selling community created software, including the emulators, and games.  Not only is it ILLEGAL, but it is also a slap in the face to the people that spend their own time creating this content and the games we enjoy. Doing so will get you flagged and possibly banned.  The people selling are very bad about selling and that's it... they don't offer any support and tell their customers to turn to the community for help. Don't ever expect any help from the community on anything purchased when it comes to software. 

It is by far best to learn the software and how it works... To get started download the Pinup Popper Baller Installer.  That will get you setup with the front end, main emulators and 2 tables. Nothing in this hobby is a simple drag/drop install.  Never download large packs of tables/roms.  Each game needs to be setup to your specific settings.  Most games you will need 3 files, table, backglass, and ROM. It really is best to download games as you go and install them on an individual basis. 

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, craigo said:

awesome thank you so much for the advice, this sounds like a great community

You will not find a greater community, or a better hobby.

I can also say that it is the best pinball preservation project ever!

All of these tables and programs are made for the love of pinball. Not for the love of money.

That is why Visual Pinball blows away the competition.

All of the work is done by members of the community, who volunteer their precious spare time, to bring us pinball glory.

We are very thankful to have members like this!

So yes, you have found a great community.