Embryon no game sound (but I have table sound)

I'm running Embryon (Bally 1981) w VR Room v2.0.2 on VPX 10.7.2 via pinup popper on my PC (not a cabinet).  Everything is working fine except I have no game sound.  The table sound effects are there but none on the game sounds.  This is the only game I am having this issue with. (I have about 30 other tables).  I gone though all of my PC sound settings (everything is set to 2 channel stereo).  From what I can tell the VPX sound settings are correct.  I've gone though several other similar forum topics with no success on solving this problem.  Could there be a rom issue?  Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

-Beefcake

29 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

Rename your nvram for that rom, see if that helps. If not, upgrade pinmame to latest, check the rom used via setup.exe.

Please forgive my newbness as I am new to the VP hobby.  rename the nvram to what? Right now it matches to the name of the rom.

image.thumb.png.2b2fc0bfde1afc46d8f645ed2b73bd17.png

Look in table script, find cgamename=xxxx - the correspoinding *.nv file to that rom name is the save nvram. Rename it to ... whatever - new will be created, if it doesn't work, well, you can rename back the old one. It might contain highscrores and settings that you want to retain. New one will be created with default values, and if it works, you should conclude with that the old one is corrupt in its current state.

Edited by Thalamus

2 hours ago, Thalamus said:

Look in table script, find cgamename=xxxx - the correspoinding *.nv file to that rom name is the save nvram. Rename it to ... whatever - new will be created, if it doesn't work, well, you can rename back the old one. It might contain highscrores and settings that you want to retain. New one will be created with default values, and if it works, you should conclude with that the old one is corrupt in its current state.

Ok thanks.

Tried it, no difference, still no game sound.

I am getting the number "9" in one of the backglass displays when  the table starts up.  Could that be an error of some sort?

I have also tried downloading the ROM from a different source and got the same results.

image.thumb.png.5e0949b21b44b1f3f036d1dceec38ab3.png

Ah. Forgot to tell you, when you delete or rename the nvram, the rom will not have anything saved from previous run, so, that is when it will create the default nvram when you exit.

Think of it this way. Without a nvram, it is like a pinball machine with a broken battery. Once the nvram is there, it can recall previous states. First time a rom is run, many of these emulation have issues.

So, run the rom once at least, if you see - factory reset message, or anything in that order. Or, well, be lazy about it. Delete nvram (rename works too), start the game twice before expecting to get back to true default.

Bare in mind though. Some machines, will not work very well if you delete or rename the nvram in that they might stop to accept coins and stuff like that. That is also why you will find a download that contains only nvram files over at vpf. Not all has this problem, but, there are some. Also, it can be a good idea to actually take a backup of your working nvram files. It doesn't happen often, but, if you have an unstable install of vpx/pinmame, so that it pr. example crashes when you exit instead of doing a clean one, you will have a much higher chance of getting those corrupt ones.

Happy to hear you've got yours resolved. Its a great game.

Edited by Thalamus