How to flash PIN2DMD v20160612 from PinballSP?

RHK

Bought a used Pin2DMD with no SD card.   It's running firmware 2.30.  I'm looking to put it in a Super Mario Bros (maybe a South Park if I can find the files).

I installed the 2 color files on the SD card with the activation key file.  When I run it, it displays Pin2DMD and the serial, nothing else.

Do I need to flash the firmware?

If so, how do I set the device to be ready for this?  I tried installing the software on the Pin2DMD site using a mini usb cable.  Windows recognized the device, but the software could not.

I'm wondering if there are jumpers or special steps needed to get this specific hardware ready to flash?  

Also, nothing happens when I press the menu or config buttons.  Is this typical?  

Edited by RHK

Alright, well I managed to make things worse.

The hardware has 2 dip switches.  One says RESERV (cut off by a solder joint)  and the other is BOOT.

I set both DIPS off (they were on), connected USB, and used the 64bit PIN2DMD tool to flash the most recent firmware. 

Apparently chose the wrong one, as the screen is now always black, no display after flipping DIPs back to ON, then a power cycle.

Now, the trouble is.... my laptop doesn't recognize the device as PIN2DMD or an ST32 device. Says USB not recognized - device descriptor failure.

Flipped both DIPS off. 

Trying to install the driver with Zadig.  I don't understand whether this is installing drivers on my local machine and apply it to the device, or ??  Either way, the driver installation fails.

Now what?  Please help.

Well, that was frustrating as hell.  Probably avoiding purchasing one of these again.  But I did get it working.

For anyone struggling:

- both DIP switches have to be OFF. 

- The device itself can't be powered on.  Must be off.

- the correct driver was in  V3 STM32F4 DISCOVERY

• Content Provider
On 11/11/2023 at 4:11 AM, RHK said:

Well, that was frustrating as hell.  Probably avoiding purchasing one of these again.  But I did get it working.

For anyone struggling:

- both DIP switches have to be OFF. 

- The device itself can't be powered on.  Must be off.

- the correct driver was in  V3 STM32F4 DISCOVERY

Please understand that my pin2dmd project is not responsible for problems caused by some custom boards like the one you used from PinballSP.

Such boards for a good reeason are not officially supported by our project. Read here https://pin2dmd.com/hardware/#2.4