will a video card upgrade be enough for FX?

d8thstar

hi all,

sad to say with the new FX, my system is showing it's age.  based on my cpu, will a video card upgrade only be enough or should i be looking at a whole new build?

running an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and a GTX 1080 with 16 GB RAM and a 4K monitor (1080 backglass)

thank for any input!

i appreciate the feedback, thank you!  dang it, was hoping to get away with a 3070 :)

my main gaming PC, i have a 2080ti, you think that might be good?  would be awesome to get one card and upgrade both machines; gaming gets a 4070, pinball gets the hand me down 2080ti

thank you again very much for the input!

I have a similar computer, but I up-graded from a 1660 to a 3060 TI.  World of difference.  So far, other then a wee bit of stuttering on EM games (which seem to stress the CPU/GPU more), I can run everything pretty much at max graphic settings.  I haven't done and VR yet, so I don't know how that would affect it, but seeing as the 3060 is $365 new (about $30 cheaper used), it's a pretty good deal....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097YW4FW9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi, I wonder if you guys with dedicated Gaming PCs are running a full or stripped down version of Windows. (I mean a Windows ISO that you have modified yourself, not a pre-edited ISO)
Many apps that Windows 10 includes are system hogs & removing them will allow Windows to run much faster & give you much higher frame rates  :) there's also lotsa Windows settings that can be changed to speed things up.

Check out Chris Titus Tech on YT for the best tutorials on doing this ;)

I will be doing this for my new system build :D I'm going to attempt running at 1080p 60Hz PF (+720 BG) with onboard GPU of an
 Asus Q87M-E with i5-4590 + 16GB DDR3 RAM. I'll see how that goes before buying a Graphics card

Edited by Rich_in_Paradise

• 1 month later...

A little late to the party here but a 3070 with 8GB definitely does fine at 4k because I'm using one.  Along with 1080p background and dmd.

Just wanted to post that in case anyone else comes across this thread.

What I want to know is if I can get away with 4060.  Some reports say yes no problem.  Only reason is because gigabyte makes a low profile version now and I could halve the size of by case.