VPX 10.8.0 XXX(beta) POV / Settings Very Frustrating

Spacegoogie

Why is it when I adjust a table and press the player 1 button  it exports .POV and .INI,

If I quite the table and export the .POV but then VPX will not read POV settings from either way.

It also seems that the Global defaults are always changing as well and I am not aware when it happen until I go look at the settings. 

I've never experienced such difficulty setting up a table. And saving POV's. Its seems like it's become a bit of a cluster.

If it its not broken why change it? 

Don't get me wrong, I love the Window view but after spending so much time adjusting the POV and then to not have it work really makes me feel like I just wasted so much time for nothing.

I have watched all youtube videos I can find on this,  and nothing shows how to save and how to this and how to that and why do this and not that.

Is it because nobody really knows how to use and setup VPX 10.8.0.XXX and what all the new settings do and how to use them?

Looking for any help setting up VPX with Window mode: How to set defaults, How to save table POV's how to use  "Specific table overrides", how to not let the default settings keep changing.

Its sad and a little embarrassing , I've been at this since the beginning of VP and now I cant even get POV to work or the settings to stay.

Thank you for any help.

• 3 weeks later...

@LynnInDenver this seems to have changed again in the nightly builds at some point. POV files are no longer created/used and has now changed to using ini files which is fine though the issue appears to be VP Editor not looking for the ini files on table load as it did previously with POV so whilst you can spend a lot of time setting up the window view in the newest version these settings whilst stored in a table ini file are completely ignored at present when the table is next loaded. Raising an issue on the Github now so hopefully this will be resolved shortly unless anyone can advise how ini files should now be used if process has changed outside of my understanding?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

10.8.0 1828 the last few I dont know whats going on. When I go in to adjust the table's POV, at random times I get a message that pops up and says, POV undone do to startup value and anything I just changed and worked on is reset!  WTF is this now?

Never seen this, and now its even harder to change POV's because its fighting against your changes!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2023 at 4:25 PM, digitalarts said:

No more new ".pov" files; all viewing related settings - and all other table related settings - are now stored in  .ini

You can choose if you want to save it globally or as "tablename".ini

But VPX can still read (and use) the old .pov files

I just tried opening a 10.8b1 table in 10.8b7 and the pov was all screwed up, so I went back and opened it b1 to export the pov and then imported it into b7 when I opened the table, but the perspective didn't change at all.  Is that how it's supposed to work, or am I missing something?  

New edition POV settings are the most intuitive new feature in VPX in years...in my opinion.

After opening the table, click ESC and then select Adjust Camera from the menu.

When the adjust Camera menu opens:
1.Ctrl (your right magna key) select the options: View Layout Mode.
2.Click Shift (your right flipper key) wiev mode will change to Camera...click Shift again View mode will change to Window.
3. Click Enter (your plunger key) you will get a distortion-free, proportional view of the table 1 to 1.
4. All that remains is to set the position, size and inclination of the table that you prefer.

5.When you get a satisfactory result, save it by clicking 1 (your start game button).

-As a convenience, when you enter Table X scale, it will also automatically select the Table YZ scale (both options in the menu are highlighted at the same time),

so that when you enlarge or reduce the view, you will automatically maintain the proportions.

-Window Top Z Ofs raises or lowers the front of the table at the point of contact with the bottom.
-Window Bottom Z Ofs raises or lowers the bottom of the table to a point of contact with the top.

-Player Y perspective in the Y axis, from experience I can tell you that depending on the type of table, the appropriate values are 0 or 5 or 15.

-Player Z perspective Z, similarly to the above, depending on the type of table, the appropriate values are 80 or 90.

If you have a basic understanding of the principles of perspective, you'll be able to get the perfect settings right in less than a minute.

I play only in portrait orientation and I easily achieved a perfect proportional view even on tables that were problematic in the previous edition of VPX.

I see that people have huge problems with this, I even saw a tutorial where a person explains it incorrectly.

I will try to post a quick tutorial on YT because it is a really easy issue and deserves a simple and correct explanation.

Edited by takise

5 hours ago, Spacegoogie said:

Mind sharing a few of your best POV ini files? I am a perfectionist when it comes to POV. I will say after so many  hours of adjusting POV I feel like I start to lose  sight lol.

I always start with one eye closed, for me adjusting with one eye works very well.😜

The new POV-system ini files are not really sharable anymore. For that to work you'd have to have the same physical size playfield mounted at the same height and angle, and your personal viewing height would have to be the same as well. Also don't forget the ini files contain other settings unique to your setup, such as darkness level, tonemapper and volume settings etc. Like takise said, once you get a hang of it, the process is very intuitive and only takes a moment to dial in. For it to work properly though it is CRITICAL to set your physical playfield dimensions, angle and viewing height in the global video settings. I agree a simplified video tutorial would be very helpful, just keep in mind 10.8 is still in beta and things may change again.

I agree that setting your playfield dimensions correctly makes things way easier... the problem is, there's a learning curve to all these changes, and the only youtube tutorials I've seen "strongly recommend" against setting the dimensions, presumably because the guy making the tutorials prefers filling the screen at the expense of proper perspective.  But if you don't already understand that, it makes things way more confusing than they need to be.  And there are still plenty of aspects to the new ini's that I don't understand at all.  Some proper tutorials from people who really understand all this stuff would be very much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help.  How do I keep the pov parameters in the .ini from getting wiped out when I save a table?  What typically happens is, I F6 the table, set the POV, generate the .ini, and then when I start playing it, maybe I decided to swap out the ball image.  I do that, save the table, and then when I reload the table, I find the pov is back to the default, because the parameters I originally generated in the ini are no longer there.  

when you in video edit mode (start table with F6) or opened it with F12 while in table play,

set your best pov (choose if in legacy or window mode) then SAVE this with start button. 

if you change other settings in F12 (day/night, difficulty, tone mapper ...) then SAVE these with Start button, too !  

Yes. I'm doing all that.   What I'm saying is that if then later go and make changes to the table that require me to save it, the parameters in the ini that look like:

ViewCabScaleX = 1.022013
ViewCabScaleY = 1.021504
ViewCabScaleZ = 0.941497
ViewCabRotation = 0.000000
ViewCabHOfs = 0.000000
ViewCabVOfs = -1.820000
ViewCabWindowTop = 370.541931
ViewCabWindowBot = 138.953217

... disappear.  The other parameters in the ini are still there.  I end up having to go back into the options menu and reset them.

Edit: tried to reproduce this behavior, but I can't.  Which I guess is a good thing?

Edited by ryesteve
new info

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the latest beta from GitHub and I feel like the ball is tiny on nearly every single table now. The flippers look enormous, too. It just looks way off, like I'm flipping a tiny rock around instead of a large pinball. I have no idea how to fix this.

On 1/21/2024 at 12:29 AM, tabascoman77 said:

I'm on the latest beta from GitHub and I feel like the ball is tiny on nearly every single table now. The flippers look enormous, too. It just looks way off, like I'm flipping a tiny rock around instead of a large pinball. I have no idea how to fix this.

are you playing in the new Window mode? Have you entered your playfield monitor dimensions in the Cabinet Layout?

2 hours ago, NerdLoftGaming said:

are you playing in the new Window mode? Have you entered your playfield monitor dimensions in the Cabinet Layout?

I did all of this and it didn't fix the issue. I upgraded to 1869 and it's fixed so it was a known issue.