New WIP Pirates of the Caribbean pup-pack

Peace,

I let the pup run for 20 minutes.  Saw all the attract mode stuff.  No crashes.  Something in the pup running during gameplay is causing the crash.  Any chance you have a video running at a different frame rate from the others?  I did a spot check and all the videos I looked at were synched.

update:  it crashed at about the 30 minute mark of just going through the attraction mode.

Also, your topper is still off by 1 pixel on the left and top.

Edited by PIPAllah

Thanks everyone for taking the time to test and get back to me.  It seems to crash at various points for everyone, but I've never had it crash at all.  I was pretty careful trying to get all the videos the same frame rate and such, but some nailbuster documentation mentions that some non standard media can cause a pup-pack to crash after 10-20 minutes.  Right now I'm running his PUPStandadAllMedia_NoRescale_Replace.bat.  This should hopefully standardize all the media files.  Once that's done I'll upload and post a new link.

I'll mess with switching the backglass from show to forceback to see what happens on my machine. 

Thanks everyone for taking the time to test and get back to me.  It seems to crash at various points for everyone.  I was pretty careful trying to get all the videos the same frame rate and such, but some nailbuster documentation mentions that some non standard media can cause a pup-pack to crash after 10-20 minutes.  I just ran nailbuster's PUPStandadAllMedia_NoRescale_Replace.bat.  This should hopefully standardize all the media files.  Here's the new link for the updated pup-pack.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UNRaeK2Hta6WPh6lBaop8s1ccjHdn66H/view?usp=sharing

I changed the backglass 'show' to 'forceback' and it worked fine in cabinet and desktop modes so I've changed it permanently. 

Shoot!  Forgot to save that topper adjustment.  Just one pixel...    I'll do that now and save it.  No doubt I'll be doing more tweaking yet and will be uploading yet again.

Edited by kcirrick

I'll be back in town Tues, can test then... btw, is there any way to ensure that screaming monkey video doesnt run multiple times back-to-back? I think it triggers with the pop bumpers (upper back right) and it was going crazy like 5-6 times in a row; super loud and annoying when 5-6 times in a row. Can you make that video rest 30 sec or something?

The monkey change is no problem.  The way it's set up is to keep playing once the J A C K lights are on and then stop once they're off.  He's a splashresume so he interrupts most videos to let you know to hit him.  I'll make the change so he runs just once.  It will be helpful anyway because there is an issue should you lose the ball while he is running.  The video he interrupts resumes playing even though you lost the ball.  Only having him run once will help solve that.

On 2/24/2024 at 2:47 AM, kcirrick said:

Thanks everyone for taking the time to test and get back to me.  It seems to crash at various points for everyone.  I was pretty careful trying to get all the videos the same frame rate and such, but some nailbuster documentation mentions that some non standard media can cause a pup-pack to crash after 10-20 minutes.  I just ran nailbuster's PUPStandadAllMedia_NoRescale_Replace.bat.  This should hopefully standardize all the media files.  Here's the new link for the updated pup-pack.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UNRaeK2Hta6WPh6lBaop8s1ccjHdn66H/view?usp=sharing

I changed the backglass 'show' to 'forceback' and it worked fine in cabinet and desktop modes so I've changed it permanently. 

Shoot!  Forgot to save that topper adjustment.  Just one pixel...    I'll do that now and save it.  No doubt I'll be doing more tweaking yet and will be uploading yet again.

Peace,

I'll give it a look tonight.  When I was last testing, I disabled the ocean backglass video and it didn't crash.

Edited by PIPAllah

Great information!  Thanks!   Hopefully Nailbuster's bat file fixed the video.  I worked hard on that ocean so I hate to lose it, but if that's what it takes to make the pup-pack stable then so be it.  I'll start working on a static background just in case.  Fingers crossed that it won't be needed.

3 hours ago, kcirrick said:

Great information!  Thanks!   Hopefully Nailbuster's bat file fixed the video.  I worked hard on that ocean so I hate to lose it, but if that's what it takes to make the pup-pack stable then so be it.  I'll start working on a static background just in case.  Fingers crossed that it won't be needed.

Peace,

What was wrong with the video?  It was the right FPS.  What else could be the issue?

I have no idea.  I'm going to run it through DaVinci Resolve and render it again and see if that cleans it up.  I'll just try to throw it up here if it's not too big to post.   I can't thank you enough for finding that issue.  I was hoping my last upload would have fixed the crashing.  Hopefully, I got the 3 screen and desktop screens right now anyway.  Meanwhile, I slapped together a static overlay you can use for now.  I just turned off the ocean and replaced the overlay.png with this one in the screens.pup, but you know how to do that.  

OVERLAYnoOcean.png

I worked on the ocean a bit.  Still 1920x1080 and 30 frame rate.  The file is larger.  It has a much higher data rate.  I'm unsure if this will make things better or worse.  There was muted audio on the first file so I removed that completely.  I tried to sharpen it up a bit, but may have gone too far.Both versions working on my cabinet.  I haven't been able to reproduce the crashing issue.  I'm going to try and find an ocean loop with better resolution and redo it from scratch. 

The ocean file is about 20 seconds and loops.  I made another background using the fountain of youth map.  You may have the same issue, but I think it looks a little cooler.  It's 1920x1080 30 frames, but it' almost a minute and a half long and a much larger file because it slowly spins.  To make it shorter it would have to spin much faster which didn't look good.   

I look forward to the results of your experiment.

Peace,

So to be clear, the ocean scene runs straight for the duration and doesn't repeat in the 20+ seconds?  I couldn't tell if it was a straight 20 seconds or if it repeated.

I'm gonna run the ocean scene without the other backglass to see what happens.  If it doesn't crash then I'm going to combine both files into 1 file (which will take a lot of work).

I'll report back before I combine the files.

Well, it does technically repeat, but there's is nothing that interrupts it like a trigger or something and nothing that tells it to do so.  It just naturally starts over when it reaches the end. 

I thought of doing something similar by simply making the ocean part of the alpha.  That actually should be pretty simple.  I'll just drop the ocean in DaVinci Resolve, drop the alpha on top of it and save it.  Then I'll just turn off the ocean and replace the screen 12 overlay.png with this new mp4. 

I think you are like me, like a challenge and want to figure it out and make it work.  I appreciate all your time and help.  Hopefully, other members will as well once the thing is stable.

The best thing about this is I'm learning a lot.  I just installed the Futurama table.  Great table, but I wanted to make some changes to the pup-pack.  It was super easy to do.  Four months ago I wouldn't have attempted it.

1 hour ago, kcirrick said:

Well, it does technically repeat, but there's is nothing that interrupts it like a trigger or something and nothing that tells it to do so.  It just naturally starts over when it reaches the end. 

I thought of doing something similar by simply making the ocean part of the alpha.  That actually should be pretty simple.  I'll just drop the ocean in DaVinci Resolve, drop the alpha on top of it and save it.  Then I'll just turn off the ocean and replace the screen 12 overlay.png with this new mp4. 

I think you are like me, like a challenge and want to figure it out and make it work.  I appreciate all your time and help.  Hopefully, other members will as well once the thing is stable.

The best thing about this is I'm learning a lot.  I just installed the Futurama table.  Great table, but I wanted to make some changes to the pup-pack.  It was super easy to do.  Four months ago I wouldn't have attempted it.

Peace,

You are correct in that I like to tinker.  In this case, I really like your idea for the Pup and want to preserve it as best I can.  The learning curve with these toys is huge and never ends if you keep going.

I ran into something interesting and frustrating.  I combined the overlay.png with the ocean and saved it as an mp4.  No matter what I do, show, forceon etc and even turning off all the other screens, all I can get to show up is the aztec coins.  The original ocean by itself shows up fine when not combined with the overlay.png.  I tried just making the overlay.png by itself an mp4 and I got the same thing.  Aztec coins only.  It doesn't make sense.  By the way, I found my overlay.png to be blocked.  Unblocking it didn't help, but just FYI.

Peace,

Good news and something else.

Take the backglass and the ocean screen off your screens list (leave those spaces blank) and add them to your triggers list.  I left the screen assignments the same, gave them both SetBG, and gave them D0 triggers.

10.7.2 32bit is stable (no crashes yet).

10.8 64bit not completely stable, but more stable than before (crashes but takes longer to crash now).  I think it's the beta 10.8 I'm using.

Fantastic idea!  Why the *&^$%*  didn't I think of trying that?  I'm using 10.8 beta rev 1314 32 bit.  I'd swear I read somewhere in ages past that the 64 bit version can sometimes be an issue.  Of course, it would be my pack where it shows up.  I'm not going to ask you to try the 10.8 32 bit version, but I think I might try the 64 bit version to see if I can produce the crash.

I was finally able to combine the overlay with the ocean and save to an mp4.  I put it on screen 11 and turned 12 off, but I'm going to do your setup right now.

I've had no issues with any table or PuP using 10.8 RC (1873) DX 64 bit. Works on all 120 tables I have, I dont use any other EXE now. If I can get some time this weekend I'll test your PuP with it... but really, its been great I suggest you try it.

Hmmm, but my pack still crashes....  Working on the install now.  I registered activex to get past that error, but now am getting a dmd driver error.  Been a long time since I messed with that.  It'll come to me.

I got it running on 10.8 64bit last night.  I just have to get the color dmd working, but that won't affect testing.  It was 1AM so I shut down for the night.  I'll power up the game room later this morning and try to make the thing crash.  (The noisy game room is next to my son's room.  He works late and so sleeps late.)  I'm really hoping it crashes so I can tinker with the setup and finally have a stable pack to share with the community.

I got both 64bit and 32bit versions working.  I started the game in 64bit using the ocean background with original config and it crashed in about three minutes.  I've been playing with the video and graphic settings as the game is playing really crummy.  Once I've got that zeroed in I can do some hardcore testing.