Cabinet vs desktop gameplay

mattdawg

I have been curious on cabinet vs desktop game play.  I've only played vpx on a cabinet for about 9 months.    Curious on people that have played both ways and if they are similar experiences.   Does one play easier than the other?    Is it easier to line up shots on desktop mode as the screen is smaller?     Does one prefer one over the other?  

19 hours ago, mattdawg said:

I have been curious on cabinet vs desktop game play.  I've only played vpx on a cabinet for about 9 months.    Curious on people that have played both ways and if they are similar experiences.   Does one play easier than the other?    Is it easier to line up shots on desktop mode as the screen is smaller?     Does one prefer one over the other?  

Peace,

Once you get used to either style, it can be an enjoyable experience.  No doubt the cabinet is closer to the real thing, if that's something you value.  I have not played a single table on my desktop since getting a cabinet.

1 hour ago, PIPAllah said:

Peace,

Once you get used to either style, it can be an enjoyable experience.  No doubt the cabinet is closer to the real thing, if that's something you value.  I have not played a single table on my desktop since getting a cabinet.

Ya, seems like cabinet would be more fun.   However, I do see quite a few youtube videos with people playing on desktop mode.  I would think that if pinball lovers loved pinball as much as I do, they'd go for a cabinet as it is closer to the real thing.   Perhaps there are some incentives to go with the desktop hence my question.  Perhaps it is just easier to stream.    Or maybe cabinets are just too darn expensive or complex to build.

I am also curious how someone like LisaJoy can have such a high score on all the scorbit tables.   I have to wonder if LisaJoy is that good or perhaps desktop mode is is easier with the lining up shots and nudging.   I am sure LisaJoy is good either way.  I have no doubt but perhaps that desktop mode does give an edge.  I am purely speculating and curious.

Edited by mattdawg

2 hours ago, mattdawg said:

Ya, seems like cabinet would be more fun.   However, I do see quite a few youtube videos with people playing on desktop mode.  I would think that if pinball lovers loved pinball as much as I do, they'd go for a cabinet as it is closer to the real thing.   Perhaps there are some incentives to go with the desktop hence my question.  Perhaps it is just easier to stream.    Or maybe cabinets are just too darn expensive or complex to build.

I am also curious how someone like LisaJoy can have such a high score on all the scorbit tables.   I have to wonder if LisaJoy is that good or perhaps desktop mode is is easier with the lining up shots and nudging.   I am sure LisaJoy is good either way.  I have no doubt but perhaps that desktop mode does give an edge.  I am purely speculating and curious.

Or perhaps its a simple matter of space, or rather, a lack thereof.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 12:43 AM, unclewilly said:

Space is my issue.  Vr is also a mode that a lot of people enjoy a lot now also.  I'd say givethat a shot if you can.   Nice feeling of really being in front ofa real table

I've contemplated VR, but every video I see is super shaky. The headsets seem very reliant on head movement instead of eye movement. Maybe there are settings to change that, or VPX just isn't quite ready for that yet. 

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, funkatron101 said:

I've contemplated VR, but every video I see is super shaky. The headsets seem very reliant on head movement instead of eye movement. Maybe there are settings to change that, or VPX just isn't quite ready for that yet. 

Your brain adjusts to your own head and eye movements automatically, so it doesn't look shaky when you're wearing the headset.

This stream has those small jitters smoothed out:

https://www.twitch.tv/astro_nasty/v/1924849649?sr=a&t=2505s