Masters of the Universe - Collector's Edition

TerryRed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That looks great man, I am a huge He-Man fan and love this table in VPX so can not wait to see your Future table.  Would love to see this all added to your VPX version of the table too.  I need to learn to code... :P 

• Content Provider
14 hours ago, Ronindoc37 said:

That looks great man, I am a huge He-Man fan and love this table in VPX so can not wait to see your Future table.  Would love to see this all added to your VPX version of the table too.  I need to learn to code... :P 

The VPX version was a conversion of the older FP table.

There won't be a VPX version of this table. There is no benefit in creating one. The only benefit there was before with a VP version was physics, and now with FizX 3.3, I can tell you that this new FP version actually plays better than the VPX version (FizX is basically nFozzy-like physics on FP). You would also need to compromise on some features, animation (and lighting) as well, so it can't be the same game. VP is more limited than people realize for certain things (this is not a bash on VP, just that many people don't understand this). Though I do love VP's refraction, and some baked lighting can be done better on VP for sure with BTK. 

FP tables like this look amazing in VR. There's nothing else that looks quite like it in VR.

Edited by TerryRed

15 hours ago, TerryRed said:

The VPX version was a conversion of the older FP table.

There won't be a VPX version of this table. There is no benefit in creating one. The only benefit there was before with a VP version was physics, and now with FizX 3.3, I can tell you that this new FP version actually plays better than the VPX version (FizX is basically nFozzy-like physics on FP). You would also need to compromise on some features, animation (and lighting) as well, so it can't be the same game. VP is more limited than people realize for certain things (this is not a bash on VP, just that many people don't understand this). Though I do love VP's refraction, and some baked lighting can be done better on VP for sure with BTK. 

FP tables like this look amazing in VR. There's nothing else that looks quite like it in VR.

Agreed, the FP tables do play fantastically, especially yours and I love the animation they have.  I also feel they have a cleaner look as well as far as jaggedness. I wish they opened quicker, but they are worth the wait.  Thanks for the comment and so looking forward to this table.  

15 hours ago, TerryRed said:

...and I finally had the chance to watch MOTU: Revolution. This friggin' rocked!

Did it have more He-Man this time?  Have to admit was not fully happy with the first season, it was entertaining but should have been advertised as a Teela storyline, not He-man.  I  think I would have loved it more if they did, and if they did different Masters of the Universe stories on all the beloved characters.  

Edited by Ronindoc37

• Content Provider
22 hours ago, Ronindoc37 said:

Did it have more He-Man this time?  Have to admit was not fully happy with the first season, it was entertaining but should have been advertised as a Teela storyline, not He-man.  I  think I would have loved it more if they did, and if they did different Masters of the Universe stories on all the beloved characters.  

No matter anyone's opinion of Revelation... most everyone agrees Revolution was awesome in comparison (myself, I liked "most" of Revelations). Revolution was a total 180 for many people who didn't like Revelation, and yes much more He-Man. That said... the series is advertised as Masters of the Universe (not He-Man and the Masters of the Universe this time around), so I'm ok with it not just being a He-Man focused show.

Edited by TerryRed

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

ROBOT ROUNDUP (New Man-E Mode)

Now that I'm back to work on MOTU CE, I've been able to finish creating another Man-E Mode. This one is called Robot Roundup.

The objective is to destroy Skeletor's Hover Robots that have taken over the Palace. If you hit the robots they repel your attack. Distract them with a shot to one of the ramps. Then the robot will "detect an intruder", turn their back to you, and glow red. They won't be distracted for long. Now when you hit the robot it will be destroyed. Destroy 4 robots to clear the mode.

This video demo shows you how to complete the mode, while also using some Orko Shots to help you out!

More Man-E Modes are coming!

On 3/3/2024 at 10:54 PM, TerryRed said:

ROBOT ROUNDUP (New Man-E Mode)

Now that I'm back to work on MOTU CE, I've been able to finish creating another Man-E Mode. This one is called Robot Roundup.

The objective is to destroy Skeletor's Hover Robots that have taken over the Palace. If you hit the robots they repel your attack. Distract them with a shot to one of the ramps. Then the robot will "detect an intruder", turn their back to you, and glow red. They won't be distracted for long. Now when you hit the robot it will be destroyed. Destroy 4 robots to clear the mode.

This video demo shows you how to complete the mode, while also using some Orko Shots to help you out!

Wow! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

New TOY - Bumperhead!

=================================

I've been trying to figure out a way to add some new modes and a toy to MOTU CE. After hearing AstroNasty pester me enough times to remove the 3rd bumper (he was right, as it blocked the left orbit shot)... I thought... why not combine both. The result... a new combo multipurpose toy called... Bumperhead!

BUMPER

Now by default for the main mode, the 3rd bumper will hide inside the cabinet, with a trap door in its place. This opens the table up and allows for much better flow and new shots for the left orbit. When a mode needs to use the 3rd bumper, the trap door moves out of the way and the bumper rises up. When the shots / jackpots for the bumper are completed (or the mode ends) then the bumper hides away again.

bumperhead-nobumper.thumb.png.b4083def013f2d50b01ff171daf495fb.png

bumperhead-bumper.thumb.png.d2851a91a1a20679ff13a71bfca012d4.png

BUMPERHEAD - New Toy!

I also wanted to have a new toy that would rise out of the playfield, but this would have restricted its size if it matched the bumper radius. So I figured, why not create a cool new portal effect that would transport any toy I wanted there! It looks real neat as it rises and lowers to reveal the new toy, while using dynamic lighting and animation that moves with the effect.

The Bumperhead toy will feature different enemy "heads" that change up based on the mode. It has two standup targets that, if hit, will cause the entire toy to rotate in either direction based on which target is hit. It also has a center drop target that can block the ball and trap the ball (when the ball enters the toy). This can allow the enemy to capture the ball, rotate in any direction, and fire the ball wherever I want!

This entire combination makes for a toy that can be used in many creative ways!

This is an example of something that is not easy to make work normally, but with FP-BAM's mini playfield tool and dynamic physics... its actually very easy to do. No wizardry and tricks needed. It just works as you would expect it to.

Each head (except for Kobra Khan) was a 3d scan with no textures, that required a lot of conversion, and I also had to paint new textures. I had to make a new Tri-Clops visor model and create new "eyes" for him as none of the examples I could find looked good.

bumperhead-portal.thumb.png.cd6d8bd53c92615dfb62d391f81b1816.png

bumperhead-scareglow.thumb.png.e81382dfeb404222ec9f483abbee430f.png

bumperhead-trapjaw.thumb.png.48ba73b55fe332bea0234c07fe9f628a.png

bumperhead-triclops.thumb.png.bc96ffa829f8e7bd149b223865101af5.png

bumperhead-kobrakhan.thumb.png.b49ca2b1729e9871dc8c37377d51d298.png

A video demo shows how it works:

=================

This looks real epic, but soon you need to stop add features to this table. Cuz i want to play it right now😄... just kidding, keep going! 

• Content Provider

Glowing Getaway (SCARE GLOW)

Here is a my newly completed Man-E Mode. "Glowing Getaway", featuring Scare Glow.

You are trapped in Subternia, which is ruled by Scare Glow (voiced by Candyman himself, Tony Todd). You need to escape!

This mode uses my new Bumperhead toy, which teleports into the playfield when the mode starts. It has Scare Glow's head on top, with two targets, a drop target, and a capture area inside.

If you hit the side targets, it makes the toy rotate, which dynamically changes the shot. If you hit the drop target it opens up the capture area inside.

motuce-sg-subternia.thumb.png.09cefba44031f06007cf2af303283f44.png

CAPTURE AND ATTACK

During the first phase of the mode, you need to hit the ramp shots, and eventually He-Man to progress. However, if you hit the capture area inside the Bumperhead, then Scare Glow will capture your ball, he'll glow green, taunt you, then he'll rotate and shoot your ball into a random location that is not a progression shot! He repels your ball with a cool animated green glowing blast effect with skulls!

If you hit the upper left loop shot, then when the ball rolls down toward Scare Glow, he will sense you, turn around quickly to capture the ball, and taunt you again!

motuce-sg-subternia-ballcaptured.thumb.png.0f45c2be1db85acbd6083bb5f6e7a8a1.png

motuce-sg-subternia-attack.thumb.png.3a646522bc3afe9e350844c1bf45e844.png

SUBTERNIA - GLOW

When you progress far enough, Scare Glow will get angry, transform and threaten to make you part of his Collection!

motuce-sg-subternia-change.thumb.png.c4132186c2a0fa321f21bf0236e43ea1.png

The game will change to a glow in the dark look, and the music ramps up! This is phase 2 of the mode.

Now you must hit Scare Glow himself! (in the capture area of the Bumperhead) It can be tricky to hit the shot due the how the Bumperhead can rotate with each hit to the targets. Scare Glow will capture your ball and fire it away (while making threats about what he will do to you). Each time you do this now however, you progress more.

Eventually the last shot will be at He-Man. When you hit it, you'll escape! Then you'll see the Bumperhead metal cover (that contains items within the playfield) fall from the sky and smash down on Scare Glow, trapping him in Subternia!

If you do this, you have completed the mode, and are awarded the Scare Glow action figure!

I love how this turned out!

motuce-sg-subternia-glow.thumb.png.9c3043bfaa75ac2d9a47ba2eeee97e9a.png

motuce-sg-subternia-glow-attack.thumb.png.cf4de47f0eb804f95df498f6debbd40d.png

VIDEO DEMO

Here is a complete playthrough video of the entire mode. It looks way cooler when you see it in action!

More Man-E modes are coming!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

New mode

TEELA'S TRAINING

Just a quick peek at some pics of my new completed mode.

I've added a new left orbit shot and inserts for Teela's mode. You must hit the left orbit once to make the mode "ready", then 3 shots to the left orbit to start the mode.

MOTUCE-Teela1.thumb.png.24547ada1d0585a2ae6709571f28c013.png

Teela is always "training" Adam for better swordsmanship. In this mode you must train with Teela to get better and better. Her hologram appears, and you must make the lit shot to try to dodge her.

MOTUCE-Teela2.thumb.png.ae1b58f57f2ddd46780ce94db9a963e6.png

With her turned around facing away from you, you must try to sneak up behind and "attack" her for the next shot.

MOTUCE-Teela3.thumb.png.8f31ba63fe602e9239bb2d1e82227243.png

When you do this, Teela will voice how she feels about you trying to sneak a shot up from behind! Oh my!

Then she'll ready herself for another shot. Repeat this process until the Skeletor target bank lowers. Then you can make the last shot to complete the mode.

I'll post a video demo of the entire mode soon.

• Content Provider

TEELA'S TRAINING (video demo of new mode)

Teela is always "training" Adam for better swordsmanship. In this mode you must train with Teela to get better and better. Her hologram appears, and you must make the lit shot to try to dodge her.

With her rear facing you, you gotta take your shot on the center targets! However, Teela ain't taking your shit!

Repeat this process until the center target bank opens... and you can finish your "training"...

• Content Provider
Posted (edited)

She-Ra Sling-Shots - "Who are you... WOMAN!?"

(video demo of updated new mode)

I've finally been completing some of the previous modes I was working on. For She-Ra Sling Shots, if you hit the slings enough times, the mode starts.

You need to hit all the jackpot shots. Then that opens open the final shot which is at Skeletor.

If you complete the mode in time, you are rewarded with the She-Ra action figure.

If you fail.... "Ah! Just like a woman". Yes, Skeletor is not nice :)

Edited by TerryRed

• Content Provider

Rom did a great job at making models for the original table many years ago, given what limited resources he had back then.

Today, you can find 3d scans of the original 80's toys, or many detailed models built from scratch with modern 3D modeling apps. 3d printers and scanners have really opened up many great resources, or possibilties to learn how to make new models.

Well... I finally decided to make new models for the Road Ripper and Man at Arms.

Out with the old...

image.thumb.png.67359cb6f3a7b25f4aed39b0ebf6e939.png

Create the new models...

Lots of new modeling, converting, remeshing, uvwrapping, painting, and fixing scanned models...

image.thumb.png.41b120c83cb6322e0190b8cc5b87e28b.png

Then some baking for realistic looking shadows...

image.thumb.png.d9178bf5bec1f999b3d6438c0fa3e219.png

...and FINALLY... in with the new in the actual game!

Turned out GREAT! The detailed models with baked shadows combined with FP's realtime dynamic lighting looks so good!

image.thumb.png.b242ba2ce47681503803966cfa940476.png

image.thumb.png.54c8ac952d5a775f636abe4b97b34352.png

• Content Provider
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SpacePirateScott said:

Those look amazing!  What did you end up with for poly count?  Did you generate normal maps from the high res models?

I have models that started in the millions of polys, and they end up in the 10,000 to 60,000 range. Some are much higher in the VR room. These two models combined though are almost 95,000.

Some models benefit from trying to go smaller and smaller.... others it seems to make no difference. If they are BAM models (FBX / OBJ) they seem to perform better than regular FP models (which if they are high poly will take FOREVER to process when the table loads, so I never use high poly models for FP models).

Sometimes, I create and add normal maps when I convert to lower poly models, such as He-Man, Skeletor, Ram Man, etc. It depends if the models needs it or even benefits from it. I have a crap load of normal maps on this table.

Edited by TerryRed

Do you even bother with the FP Milkshake 3D models at all?  The only import export plugin that I could find for Blender doesn't seem to be supported with the latest version of Blender, but to be fair, I didn't spend a lot of time looking for one yet.  I want to replace a ramp and raised playfield model on the table I'm working on and was wondering if a BAM model would be a better choice.

Edited by SpacePirateScott

• Content Provider
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, SpacePirateScott said:

Do you even bother with the FP Milkshake 3D models at all?  The only import export plugin that I could find for Blender doesn't seem to be supported with the latest version of Blender, but to be fair, I didn't spend a lot of time looking for one yet.  I want to replace a ramp and raised playfield model on the table I'm working on and was wondering if a BAM model would be a better choice.

Yes, all the time for FP table items, some toys, etc. I use FP model editor to export the FP model to milkshape if I want to use that to do some simple edits to FP models.

If I want to import a FP table (or things like FP ramps, etc) to Blender.. I use the older Blender with the milkshape / FP plug-ins.  Then save it to a Blend file, and then use it with newer 4.1 Blender. I can then export to obj and then use milkshape to convert obj to milkshape format if I want it to be a FP model.

BAM models can't be used for FP table items.  FP models that have coliders, things like ramps, flippers... anything that the FP Model Editor creates can't be a BAM model. BAM models are more for visuals only. You can use an invisible FP model combined with a BAM model and use a BAM miniplayfield if needed to move it, etc.

Edited by TerryRed

Seriously, Milkshape 3d can still run under Windows? I haven't seen this since the Quake days. 

The latest version that I can find is 1.8.4.  I will give this a try tonight.  I'm beginning understand the challenges of quality table creation for FP.  I shouldn't be enjoying the challenge so much. :)

• Content Provider

Road Ripper Multiball

Quick demo of Road Ripper multiball. I initially struggled with how to "end" all the multiball modes. The objective of this new game is to complete every mode and be rewarded with an MOTU toy for each mode, and to collect as many as you can... with points being the secondary reward. I didn't want multiball modes to just go on endlessly getting more and more points, as this will be a BIG game when done. I wanted you to be able to "complete" each mb mode, and have it "end" similar with how other modes end (rewarded with toy).

So you do the first phase by hitting each of the 4 jackpot shots. During this time, if you drain to one ball then the mode ends (like any multiball). If you hit all jackpots, then Skeletor's target bank drops. Now Super Jackpot is Ready.

From this point on, the mode won't stop unless you drain ALL balls. So if you have one ball left, you can still complete the mode. You now have to shoot as many of your remaining balls at Skeletor as you can, until none remain. You are rewarded big points for each ball collected, so you want to keep as many as you can during the first phase. You complete the mode by getting the LAST ball into the Skeletor kicker.

Each multiball mode will play out similar. The difference is how you start the mode, and how many balls each MB mode has. Ripper has 2, Castle has 3, He-Man has 4, Skeletor has 9.

• Content Provider

Castle Multiball demo.

Once the Castle Ramp is unlocked and the castle mode is selected, then hit the ramp to make the castle rise up. Once its risen, then hit the ball through the castle 2 times to start Castle multiball.

Then... it's Party Time with a crazy lightshow! Everyone is joining in the groove... Skeletor, He-Man, Orko, Man At Arms, Modulok... even the snake!

All multiball modes require you to hit all the jackpot shots first to make Super Jackpot Ready. Then from that point on the mode won't stop even if you drain to one ball. Skeletor's target bank lowers.

Now you need to get as many remaining balls in there as you can for big points. You need to get the last ball in there to complete the mode and be rewarded with the Castle Grayskull toy!